Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Farewell Debian!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
synux

Farewell Debian!

#1 Post by synux »

I am going to move to the Windows world.. It's because of music production... Linux doesn't have the programs I need, and to have a good feeling while producing music, I need to abandon Debian from my work/fun PC...

On my server PC's I will still use Linux, but SUSE instead.. I guess it's just because of commercial support that I'm going to get :roll:

Farewell!
Last edited by synux on 2007-03-03 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

rickh

#2 Post by rickh »

Bye.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Optional

#3 Post by Optional »

I have a Vista partition on this laptop, but it's only for playing games. :D

Any serious work is done on Debian (because of full disk encryption... in case my laptop should ever get stolen).

Buh bye :shock:

DeanLinkous

#4 Post by DeanLinkous »

I heard that Mcdonalds is better than burger-king too....

IMO - we aren't your girlfriend so if you want to "break-up" then you can just leave, no need to let us down easy or anything. Nobody gains or loses from someone else using linux or not using linux - so there is no reason to justify it.

My favorite feature of software is - freedom. Does any of that software you mention provide MY favorite feature? If it does, then I might also switch.

Take care and enjoy whatever you use.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

ghostdawg

#5 Post by ghostdawg »

Why would you want Vista over proven XP? O well. I have 3 pcs and all run Debian with my newer one has XP on it for work purposes and a Mini Mac (PPC) just for knowledge wise. And Suse is sleeping with the enemy! :lol:

Take care.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Optional

#6 Post by Optional »

Vista is better than XP in some respects (programs that crash are handled a LOT more gracefully, aero feels smoother than XP's GUI, etc.) and worse in others (the UI is terrible for certain things, like bringing up a dialog that shows your interface's IP/mask/gateway takes like 14 mouseclicks, and of course prompting you for confirmation on everything you do).

Most of its "features" probably warranted a new service pack, not an entirely new OS. :|

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: Farewell Debian!

#7 Post by mzilikazi »

synux wrote:I am going to move to the Windows world.. It's because of music production... Linux doesn't have the programs I need, and to have a good feeling while producing music, I need to abandon Debian from my work/fun PC...
Hmm let's see........I have a realtime kernel. Does Windows? No.
I have a FOSS multitrack studio that supports VST plugins. Does Windows have that? Maybe but likely the apps you're thinking of are not free.
I have a synthesizer, music notation software, looper, sampler, tracker and the list goes on and on.

Linux gives you: midi support, Mdelta (and other high-end) sound card support.

OK so who really uses Linux for music production? I mean cmon it's just a bunch of geeky home users that think they can play right? Hardly.
Founded in 1975, Harrison Audio Consoles is an international company that manufactures mixing consoles for the post-production, video, broadcast, sound reinforcement and music recording industries. Harrison is currently based in a 32,000 square foot facility in Nashville, TN, USA. Over 1,500 Harrison consoles have been installed worldwide.
http://www.motherofalldubbers.com/software.html

Mirror Image Studios likes Linux and Ardour:
*we've been using Ardour since 2001 (pre jackd), fulltime since 2002
http://multitrack.us/index.html

I sure get tired of hearing that "Linux can't do this" or "Linux can't do that".

Well, here's hoping Vista doesn't decide that your own music is Premium Content and lock you out or downgrade the audio quality for you, for free. ;)
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

frenchninja

#8 Post by frenchninja »

Welcome back thamarok - oh sorry wrong thread

Oops!

DeanLinkous

#9 Post by DeanLinkous »

frenchninja wrote:Welcome back thamarok - oh sorry wrong thread

Oops!
Yea, welcome back synux...err....I mean farewell synux....wait...which thread is this?
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

lmo

#10 Post by lmo »

I'm leaving Debian too.
I had tried SuSE and didn't like it. Then I tried FC4 for a long time and it was solid and worked well. Eventually though, it became outdated and I decided to try Ubuntu. Ubuntu seemed to be a good system, but after using it for a while, I found that the stable version was outdated and I'm not willing to spend long download times just to try out an unstable system. It was time to try Debian. Debian installed the stable version and the good old gnome 2.8 worked pretty good. But I really wanted Xfce4 version 4.4.0. However, Debian does not offer (as of this writing) the fully 4.4.0 version of xfce4, even in the unstable system. After getting stuck in dependency hell a few times (upgrading kernel, try to install xfce4) I got tired of having synaptic, apt, and aptitude remove packages that I wanted to keep.

I just installed FC6 and I feel like I'm back on solid ground. It comes with kernel 2.6.18 which is the one I'll be using until 2.6.21 comes out because of some peculiar quirks I saw in 2.6.20. Everything works and seems professionally done. Plus they have added a graphical front end to yum. The graphical package manager is called "Package Manager" and it works about the same way as synaptic. Xfce4 4.4.0 was available from the extras repository and I installed it. Maybe someday, when stable gets a facelift, I'll take another look at Debian. But for now, I think Fedora Core 6 is the race leader. Things just seem to work ... better.

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

Good bye ! Why do people feel they have to post in forums saying they are leaving?

You want to use Vista good luck, a different distro good luck.

Personally I have tried most of the big distros, at least the top 20 on distrowatch and nothing compares to debian.

You want newer packages? Learn how to look for them:

Debian Xfce Group
Latest Xfce version:
Etch: 4.3.99.1 (4.4rc1)(with parts of 4.4rc2)
Sid: 4.3.99.2 (4.4rc2)
Packaged: 4.4.0
The only thing you may find newer in another distro is Gnome.

You want a multimedia system take a look at :
64 Studio - Trac
http://64studio.com/
Which is nothing more than a Debian based distro with a realtime kernel, nothing you can't do in Debian itself.

Granted Debian isn't for everyone, you have to actually want to learn how to harness the power that Linux offers. You have to want freedom. You couldn't pay me enough to run any version of windows or even to switch to another distro.

Commercial support isn't going to help if you don't understand how to do things for yourself. Especially since most tech support people have no clue how to do anything .
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

DeanLinkous

#12 Post by DeanLinkous »

Debian is the clay - what you make is up to you. If you make something that looks like a turd it is not a reflection on Debian. I understand if you want pre-made clay artwork and in that case Debian was never right for you Even though with etch it is getting damn good at pre-made clay artwork along with still offering the raw clay for those of us who like to roll-our-own.

But as I said before - goodbye is not needed. Just quietly leave and then if you come back nobody will ever notice you were gone. :D And you WILL be back - a good taste of the Debian and you are hooked!
Last edited by DeanLinkous on 2007-03-05 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Fluenza

#13 Post by Fluenza »

craigevil wrote:Good bye ! Why do people feel they have to post in forums saying they are leaving?
I'm sure they have their reasons. There's really no reason for anyone to have to justify why they're leaving; it's really of little consequence to anyone.
craigevil wrote: Personally I have tried most of the big distros, at least the top 20 on distrowatch and nothing compares to debian.
I have only tried Debian and Ubuntu. I like Debian best of those two.
craigevil wrote: You want newer packages? Learn how to look for them:
Agreed! That's what I did when I was running Sarge and couldn't find things like MPlayer in the Debian repositories. It's not that difficult to download, decompress, and compile source. I actually kind of enjoy doing it.
craigevil wrote: Granted Debian isn't for everyone, you have to actually want to learn how to harness the power that Linux offers. You have to want freedom. You couldn't pay me enough to run any version of windows or even to switch to another distro.
Agreed! If you're willing to learn to use the power that Debian GNU/Linux offers, there's really very little reason to use anything else. If you're moving from a Mac or Windows to Debian, you might want to keep one of those things around until you get a feel for what you're doing in Linux. Once you're comfortable with Linux and can feel your way around, there's not many reasons to keep an alternative nearby.
craigevil wrote: Commercial support isn't going to help if you don't understand how to do things for yourself. Especially since most tech support people have no clue how to do anything .
Agreed! If you don't want to at least try to understand how to do things, why even bother in the first place? Obviously you're not that interested in the stuff to begin with. Probably you should stick to the simpler building blocks... like Lego. :wink:
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Fluenza

#14 Post by Fluenza »

DeanLinkous wrote: And you WILL be back - a good taste of the Debian and you are hooked!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I find that when people leave a place they never really wanted to be, they usually don't return. I think it was Neil Peart who wrote, "The point of departure is not to return."

Of course, I can only speak for myself. I recently left a couple of forums as well. Of the four that I left, only one of them was a forum that I normally would have participated in -- A Macintosh centric forum. The other three were forums that I wouldn't have even considered participating in if I had a choice. (Not that I didn't have a choice; we always have a choice. It's just that the least desirable option is sometimes the best. So in that sense, I didn't have a choice.) So it's a pretty safe gamble that I will not be returning to those particular forums for any reason whatsoever.

So the point I guess is this: If you don't want to be somewhere, you're going to leave. And if you never really wanted to be there in the first place, you're not going to return. It's very easy to find an excuse for leaving an unwanted situation. I think this is really the idea behind a lot of the seemingly lame reasons for people leaving Debian: They just never really wanted to be here in the first place.
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

hcgtv

#15 Post by hcgtv »

Fluenza wrote:So the point I guess is this: If you don't want to be somewhere, you're going to leave.
That's if you didn't learn anything from hanging out or develop any kind of friendship or bond with the participants.

I learn an enormous amount of useful information by following forums, a lot of it may not even be specific to the software or project you are following. From following web application forums, you pick up HTML and CSS knowledge, from following Operating Systems forums, you gain much needed hardware insight.

Some forums are more conducive to newbies, some can be too l33t for their taste. This forum has a good blend of individuals and run rather well I might add.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Fluenza

#16 Post by Fluenza »

hcgtv wrote: Some forums are more conducive to newbies, some can be too l33t for their taste. This forum has a good blend of individuals and run rather well I might add.
I agree. This forum is very well moderated. That's always a plus. And the spectrum of users runs the full gamut: inexperienced newbies to well-seasoned pros. This forum is a "must" for any serious Debian user in my humble opinion. :D