Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tails OS on the ASUS T100?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mexicojones

Tails OS on the ASUS T100?

#1 Post by mexicojones »

Hello, I've recently got a Asus Transformer Book T100TA just to take out and about with me when travelling and I was wondering if anyone has ever managed to get Tails OS running on it? I've seen it asked a few other times in the past with no outcome (that I can see anyway).
I'm pretty much a newbie to this kind of thing but I'm capable of following instructions and I'm not too awful with technology.
Just to clarify, I know how enough to boot from USB on a normal Laptop but I'm looking for anything specific to Tablet/Convertibles.
Thanks for any information.

GarryRicketson

Re: Tails OS on the ASUS T100?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is Debian User Forums.
You need to ask them at the "Tails Os" forum. Or do they not offer any support ?

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Don't install Tails. The whole point is privacy and security. Burn the tails iso to a live-CD or USB. Use either to run your laptop or device. Tails will boot into memory and all traces will be erased when you exit. Nice. Sorry, I know nothing about your T100TA but this is a simple and cheap experiment. Just follow the instructions on the Tails site.

mexicojones

#4 Post by mexicojones »

Bulkley wrote:Don't install Tails. The whole point is privacy and security. Burn the tails iso to a live-CD or USB. Use either to run your laptop or device. Tails will boot into memory and all traces will be erased when you exit. Nice. Sorry, I know nothing about your T100TA but this is a simple and cheap experiment. Just follow the instructions on the Tails site.
I didn't say anything about 'installing it' and I stated that I already know how to boot it onto a laptop but when it comes to this particular device, it isn't as simple as following the instructions on the Tails site. The post was clearly asking if anyone's had experiences with booting from the T100 - not "how do i install Tails on any old laptop."

mexicojones

#5 Post by mexicojones »

GarryRicketson wrote:This is Debian User Forums.
You need to ask them at the "Tails Os" forum. Or do they not offer any support ?
I shall try there but since Tails is built upon Debian, I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem posting here too.
Apart from Reddit, there doesn't seem to be any other Tails forum so I'll try that.
Thanks anyway!

edbarx

#6 Post by edbarx »

This is good advice although it may appear rude for a beginner. The reason is, Debian and Tails OS are produced by two independent groups of developers who have their distinct objectives. The latter may impact the way libraries are used by executables, programs' configuration formats and the file hierarchy. These latent differences my break your system if a package from distribution A is installed in B and vice versa. An alien package to a distribution may pull dependencies that replace essential parts of the host OS with incompatible parts thereby breaking it.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#7 Post by arochester »

There are generic Linux Forums which will take questions about Tails OS e.g. https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/incognito-85/

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

mexicojones wrote:...since Tails is built upon Debian, I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem posting here too.
Literally half the distros on the planet are "based" on Debian without actually being Debian. If you can reproduce the problem in, y'know, Debian, be sure to post back. Otherwise, ask here: https://tails.boum.org/support/index.en.html

andre@home

#9 Post by andre@home »

mexicojones wrote:I'm pretty much a newbie to this kind of thing but I'm capable of following instructions and I'm not too awful with technology. .
Well if that is your starting position stay with Debian and the various support forums.... as Tails OS seems to mis that.
So what is your problem with Debian? None.... ? Then I do not understand your question.
For trying an Linux OS without support .. you do not need our help, and as you see there is no experience with Tail OS here.
But a smart guy like you could have found that by using the "search" option of the forum.....