Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

If RedHat goes the Nokia way - consequences for Debian?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
HuangLao

Re: If RedHat goes the Nokia way - consequences for Debian?

#31 Post by HuangLao »

Garry....thank you for the trip down memory lane...I think I have the installer for Deb. 1 in a drawer or filing cabinet somewhere. :)

spacex...I think edbarx (Debian forum) uses Devuan. You might also like SalixOS, it is based on Slackware but has dependency resolution like Debian called Slapt-get and GUI Gslapt. ;) or try Slackware directly, but be aware it only has dependencies handled for official repo/packages, anything else you have to keep track of them, even though with SlackBuilds.org it is fairly easy. antiX also has removed systemd even though they use Debian stable, they provide another repo for nonsystemd rebuilds of programs like cups etc.... Might be better or at least easier to go somewhere that does not have systemd at all, instead of trying to remove it.

Perhaps, with Slackware being successful without systemd and Devuan almost with an official release it will put pressure on Debian core team to switch back to neutrality and allow the user to decide what they want. A sane method would be to default to SysV, openRC (or Devuan's vdev) etc... and allow people to use systemd, and never allow systemd to become a hard dependency.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#32 Post by oswaldkelso »

The only relevance systemd has to the topic is it demonstrates how corporations can use their bank balance to control. It's no good saying you have the source fork it.

They simply funded so many developers that no volunteer organisation like Debian could cope and provide real support for choice. Debian was simply overwhelmed and took the easy option.

The real question is what to do to regain control of our own destiny again. I don't think it will happen quickly as "Linux" becomes more popular with the ignorant, non freedom lovers and windows users. It will only become more and more embedded in their corporate owners systems. Only then we will have kick back, only then we'll have movement again and people wanting their freedom back.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

spacex

#33 Post by spacex »

HuangLao wrote:Garry....thank you for the trip down memory lane...I think I have the installer for Deb. 1 in a drawer or filing cabinet somewhere. :)

spacex...I think edbarx (Debian forum) uses Devuan. You might also like SalixOS, it is based on Slackware but has dependency resolution like Debian called Slapt-get and GUI Gslapt. ;)
Tried Salix a few years ago. Loved it then, but it was a little bit on the stale side for me. Solid as a rock. Perhaps I'll revisit it, because I have matured a bit.

But I'll try Devuan first. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Celebrated our national day today, so I'll have a go at it tomorrow :)

HuangLao

#34 Post by HuangLao »

spacex wrote:
HuangLao wrote:Garry....thank you for the trip down memory lane...I think I have the installer for Deb. 1 in a drawer or filing cabinet somewhere. :)

spacex...I think edbarx (Debian forum) uses Devuan. You might also like SalixOS, it is based on Slackware but has dependency resolution like Debian called Slapt-get and GUI Gslapt. ;)
Tried Salix a few years ago. Loved it then, but it was a little bit on the stale side for me. Solid as a rock. Perhaps I'll revisit it, because I have matured a bit.

But I'll try Devuan first. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Celebrated our national day today, so I'll have a go at it tomorrow :)
din norsk?

spacex

#35 Post by spacex »

HuangLao wrote: din norsk?
Yes, I'm Norwegian :)

HuangLao

#36 Post by HuangLao »

nå alt er fornuftig. fleiper :)

spacex

#37 Post by spacex »

:lol:
HuangLao wrote:nå alt er fornuftig. fleiper :)