Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Packages in My Pale Moon Browser OBS Repo

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
stevepusser

New Packages in My Pale Moon Browser OBS Repo

#1 Post by stevepusser »

The former builds were pretty popular, judging by the response in edbarx's lightweight browser thread. So I started a new thread for Pale Moon.

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

The builds have now been updated to the current 26.2.1. (Edit: Currently 27.2.1, gstreamer is booted out the door in favor of libav-tools or ffmpeg-based playback.) One big change is that they are now using gstreamer 1.0 for media support, so that means you'll need gstreamer1.0-libav for HTML 5 h.264 media playback, maybe one of more of the gstreamer1.0-plugin good, bad, or ugly packages. A known issue is that having gstreamer1.0-vaapi installed will cause the browser to crash when playing back media.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-04-01 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Innovate

Re: New Packages in My Pale Moon Browser OBS Repo

#2 Post by Innovate »

Thank you, now we've 2 alternate choices: :D
a) PaleMoon Installer
b) Stevepusser's opensuse repo

I hope this trends making repo on opensuse pages will become more popular than launchpad PPA.

MoaTib

#3 Post by MoaTib »

Hi.

Is there any reason why your openSUSE repository for Pale Moon have been recently closed?

I ask because I'm looking for your latest build with the development tools enabled.

Thanks.
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I was asked to remove the branded palemoon package until the crashing was solved for Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 packages, despite no problems with the other distro versions. I think I have it solved. PM seems to be unstable when compiled with the default gcc 5 or 6 on those, but those Ubuntus still have gcc-4.9, so I forced them to use that. In the meantime, I've replaced it with the unbranded "newmoon" package, which is Pale Moon under a different name and icon. Hopefully I can get the palemoon package back in there.

I also have builds of newmoon-27.2.0~alpha1 in a separate repository, if anyone wants to test/hunt bugs for the upcoming version: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ge=newmoon

If anyone can help, I first tried to make a "one debian/rules file to rule them all" with some code I lifted from other packages, but it didn't seem to work. It's supposed to use lsb_release to detect Ubuntu xenial and yakkety build platforms, and then export the gcc-4.9 enviroment if they are detected. The export commands work fine on their own, so it's something in the conditional part.

Code: Select all

# Build with gcc-4.9 on Stretch, Xenial, Yakkety, and Zesty.
distrelease  := $(shell lsb_release -cs)
ifeq (,$(filter $(distrelease),stretch xenial yakkety zesty))
export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9
export CPP=cpp-4.9
export LD=gcc-4.9
endif

MoaTib

#5 Post by MoaTib »

Thanks, I will give it a try this week. If I want to keep my profile, do I need to change the path of the configuration folder from "$HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon/" to "$HOME/.moonchild productions/new moon/"?
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

It seems to use the same user profile folder, "palemoon".

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Just an update; the approved "palemoon" package should appear in there again. I have permission to use the branding with the new 27.1.0 release I just sent the sources up to the OBS to chew on, so the finished packages should appear shortly.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by Hallvor »

Is there a repository for Pale Moon on Debian Stretch yet?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

The openSUSE Build Serivce usually doesn't provide a build platform for standard users like me until the distro has a final release. It won't have an Ubuntu 17.04 option until later this month, for example. Advanced users are supposed to be able to request a Stretch build platform, but I don't know how to do that (not "advanced" enough, I guess.)

As far as I can see, the Jessie builds should run just fine on Stretch until we get native builds. Let me fire up a live Stretch-based distro in a virtual machine and test that out.

Or the Sparky Linux distro has packages that are built on a Stretch platform--the main difference would be that the Sparky one is built on Stretch's gcc-6, and mine are built on gcc-4.9. http://sparkylinux.org/repo/pool/main/p/palemoon/

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by Hallvor »

Thanks for that. I can confirm that Pale Moon for Jessie works on Stretch without any problem.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

Stopping by to say thanks, palemoon is now my primary web browser and your repo is just what I was looking for.
So long firefox, you changed things for no good reason one too many times.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.