Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GarryRicketson

Re: Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

#61 Post by GarryRicketson »

That's neat, I think it does, are those yours, or just "neighbor hood kids",
I had what I considered a pet Broad tailed Grackle
, we call them Chanates here, in fact think I mentioned him earlier , some where in this thread,... he had fallen out of his nest when he was little and still couldn't fly, so I hand fed it, for a while when I took the first 2 conures for walks, the Chanate as well, would go with us, the 2 parrots on one shoulder,and the baby chanate,
on the other, later when he discovered he could almost or sort of fly, well he jumped off, and managed to reach a close by tree, and refused to come down,
but once he got hungry , he did come down to the lowest branch, and was "crying", and vibrating his wings , like they do when hungry, but he refused to jump off the branch, so I got a ladder and went up for him, but each time I started down on the latter, he jumped back up to the tree and scrambled up to the branch,.. I understood , but it was late evening, and did not have the time, so 2nd try, when he came to me, I held him, and did not let him jump back up ,took him inside, and of course since he was hungry he was happy when I fed him, but after that he was not happy inside his cage at all, in fact he went into a panic like state,and kept trying to get out, but via the top of the cage.
Ok well, I was afraid he could hurt him self, and reached in, since he was use to me, but no longer hungry, he still climbed into my hand, and clung to it, I brought him out of the cage, he immediately jumped off my hand and flew to the highest place in the room, and that is where he spent the rest of the night.
The next day, I took him out, after feeding his, he was so happy, and as soon
as I got close to the tree, again he jumped off my shoulder , and flew to the lowest branch, where he starting "cackling", and shouting, the way they do when excited and happy.
Some of the wild , older Chanates heard him, and came to investigate, this included his parents, how ever they did not start feeding him any more, in fact
they rejected him, so I set up the latter, and put his food dishes up on the branch, also I hung the cage below, but any way, he started living in the tree along with the other Chanates, and his brothers and sisters, some of which were still "nest bound", and not flying yet,..watching them was interesting, when the parents went away, looking for food, he would go to the nest and visit them, but when the parents came back, the would actually not only reject him, but chase him away, since it was feeding time, he was hungry as well, and would come down to the low branch, where I would feed him, and give him some attention, .... Image
Sadly, the cats killed my Chanate,... he had lost his natural fear of them since
often when I would feed him, they would come around as well, especially since
his favourite food was cat food, when I was there, they never bothered him,but one day, when I was not there,... any way I was pretty angry with the cats,...but it taught me a lesson, and I do not leave any of the smaller birds out side, unattended . The Macaws are big enough, and the cats are scared of them.

Years ago, I had a friend that some how got a coyote "puppy", and it was pretty much like any other dog, very tame and friendly, I don't remember
how he got the pup,...
They don't qualify as pets though, unless they follow you home and you start
feeding them daily. It still is interesting to see them, like that, at home in the
neighbourhood,....The ones here do not come to close to the houses. We do hear them at night, and I think there is a ongoing "feud" or battle between the
coyotes, and the neighbourhood dogs.

stevepusser

#62 Post by stevepusser »

Those are completely wild coyotes--except I have them whistle trained by now. This photo is at a high school, but just across a 4-lane parkway is open brushland and hills for miles. There is a park next to the school where they also roam around at night. So the park and school is part of their territory, plus more unknown--at least another quarter mile past the school, too. The road is extremely busy during the day, as it's a major commuter route leading to the freeway, but is much quieter at night. The coyotes are very cautious when crossing it...any car in sight for a half mile, and they won't cross.

The one on the right might be a female, it's hard to identify their gender from a distance, but the other two come closer and are male. The possible female is often separate from the two males, and when it appears there's alway's some whimpering, tail-wagging, and play behavior.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#63 Post by stevepusser »

stevepusser wrote:Those are completely wild coyotes--except I have them whistle trained by now. This photo is at a high school, but just across a 4-lane parkway is open brushland and hills for miles. There is a park next to the school where they also roam around at night. So the park and school is part of their territory, plus more unknown--at least another quarter mile past the school, too. The road is extremely busy during the day, as it's a major commuter route leading to the freeway, but is much quieter at night. The coyotes are very cautious when crossing it...any car in sight for a half mile, and they won't cross.

The one on the right might be a female, it's hard to identify their gender from a distance, but the other two come closer and are male. The possible female is often separate from the two males, and when it appears there's alway's some whimpering, tail-wagging, and play behavior.
A scientific study just came out where they studied the brains of the carnivore family animals. Racoons were an outlier, with neuron density like that of primates! Dogs came out much smarter than cats, and bears were about the same as cats.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 8/abstract
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#64 Post by GarryRicketson »

I stumbled on to this article, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/maga ... -ptsd.html
I had no idea about this, but reading it was difficult for me, I got all choked up
and tears in my eyes, it kind of explains why I am finding so much peace of mind, and a bonding with my parrots,...