Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

Postby golinux » 2016-04-23 17:51

Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby edbarx » 2016-04-23 18:04

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!

Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.

To Mods/Admins: I have been polite and behaved civilly, however, I will not continue to behave that way, if golinux does not stop misbehaving.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby No_windows » 2016-04-23 18:28

Two cats. The boy will jump out of my desk chair when I get close. I practically have to sit on the girl to get her out of the chair!
No_windows

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-04-23 19:26

edbarx wrote:Since GNU/Linux requires more time to configure and use, the question as to whether such users keep a dog or a cat as a pet becomes tempting... Recently, I adopted a puppy, and would like to know whether a Linux user is compatible to keep a pet which normally take time to look for and take for walks. This is a mixed breed puppy with Fox Terrier facial characteristics. I am calculating the puppy will weigh somewhere around 10Kg when it grows into an adult.

He is a cutie :)

Our dog is a shih-poo (half shih-tzu, half poodle). I have been smacked by the spousal unit for calling him a $hit-poo, though :P

Sadly, we didn't know what a puppy mill dog was when we got him; he was poorly socialized as a puppy and is a bit aggressive toward strangers - both human and canine and he's afraid of *everything*. He's also extremely intelligent but may be one of the most stubborn animals I've ever seen. I do spend some time playing doggie brain games with him and am currently working on teaching him how to catch a ball. But - once he gets to know you he's as loyal and friendly as they come.

The dog was raised from a puppy with our cat, who is a shelter cat. Some moron declawed her on all four feet, which is a horrible thing to do to a cat. Cats without front claws can't defend themselves and if they're declawed on their back feet they can't climb and generally won't jump either. Folks, cats can be trained not to shred your furniture and declawing them kills their confidence. Ours can't fight or climb things and so her confidence is a bit shot, but she's a sweetheart. I believe she thinks that she's the dog's mom and grooms him almost daily. Cat had been abandoned to the same shelter twice; I don't know about the first person who dropped her off at the shelter but the second one adopted her from the shelter and returned her when she refused to share a litterbox with their other cat.

Newsflash, folks - most cats will not share a litterbox. The dominant cat uses the box and if there's nowhere else to go the other cat will go on your carpet if she can't go outside.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby golinux » 2016-04-23 20:13

edbarx wrote:Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.
If there were no 'dust' none of us would be here. Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.
golinux

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-04-23 20:42

golinux wrote:Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.

It does - but everyone has their own path. I would suggest caution when representing your faith as fact :mrgreen:
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby bse5150 » 2016-04-23 22:12

We had a dog, but he passed away. Never got another one.
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down. --Gin Blossoms
bse5150

Postby spacex » 2016-04-23 22:58

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!

No therapy needed.There is no stronger connection than between man and dog. You should try it. It makes us more emphatic as human beings. Also towards humans...

Besides, they are great fun :)
spacex

Postby golinux » 2016-04-23 23:13

wizard10000 wrote:
golinux wrote:Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.

It does - but everyone has their own path. I would suggest caution when representing your faith as fact :mrgreen:

That's a bit like advising caution when representing gravity as fact. Of course there are currently plenty of those who doubt basic scientific principles. I don't have 'faith'. I have the benefit of empirical experience. Everyone does indeed have their own path and for most the journey will be long and fraught with suffering. That is of course a choice (as is every thought, word or action) . . .
golinux

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-04-23 23:18

golinux wrote:That is of course a choice (as is every thought, word or action) . . .

Don't be silly, free will is an illusion.

http://breakingthefreewillillusion.com/ ... free-will/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will

:mrgreen:

(sorry for the OT, OP!)
"Sheer [program] size is often an illusion, reflecting only a need for improvement." — Kernighan and Plauger
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby dasein » 2016-04-24 00:39

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653 wrote:...religious...discussions do not belong on this board.
dasein

Postby edbarx » 2016-04-24 07:01

Neuroscience is still in its embryonic stage and lacks important theories to explain the source of free will which is a direct effect of consciousness. So, the question of what constitutes free will is a question regarding consciousness itself. Consciousness, is still not explained although there are hypotheses that try to attempt an explanation. There are also various speculative explanations, like 'quantum consciousness', that ignores the complex neural circuits found in any biological brain, postulating consciousness is the result of the collapse of quantum wave functions set up in neural tubules.

As everyone with some education can appreciate and understand, speculation alone can never be science as it usually lacks evidence. Historical instances exist of classical speculative explanations that attempted to explain the movement of the planets which postulated the Earth was at the centre of the universe with the sun orbiting like the moon.

Unless neuroscience can explain scientifically how consciousness is generated by the brain, especially human brains, no one can claim anything about the nature of free will.

Is consciousness the result of quantum entanglement of electrons interacting in synapses? Neuroscience found that consciousness is usually characterised by synchronous 40Hz oscillations which take place in different parts of the human brain at the same time. Does this mean, electrons or other subatomic particles in synapses interact with each other through quantum entanglement? As you can see, this is all speculation on my part, and cannot be science as long as there is no experimental evidence corroborating what I wrote.

Currently the best hypoteses attempting to explain the generation of human consciousness is by Giulio Tononi, An information integration theory of consciousness.
http://bmcneurosci.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2202-5-42 wrote:Presentation of the hypothesis

This paper presents a theory about what consciousness is and how it can be measured. According to the theory, consciousness corresponds to the capacity of a system to integrate information. This claim is motivated by two key phenomenological properties of consciousness: differentiation – the availability of a very large number of conscious experiences; and integration – the unity of each such experience. The theory states that the quantity of consciousness available to a system can be measured as the Φ value of a complex of elements. Φ is the amount of causally effective information that can be integrated across the informational weakest link of a subset of elements. A complex is a subset of elements with Φ>0 that is not part of a subset of higher Φ. The theory also claims that the quality of consciousness is determined by the informational relationships among the elements of a complex, which are specified by the values of effective information among them. Finally, each particular conscious experience is specified by the value, at any given time, of the variables mediating informational interactions among the elements of a complex.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby fred barclay » 2016-05-05 05:12

Dogs all the way!

I've also got a soft spot for rodents/small mammals like guinea pigs and rabbits. But cats? No! I've never met a person that owns a cat, only cats that own people. ;)
Last edited by fred barclay on 2016-05-07 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
fred barclay

Postby sgosnell » 2016-05-06 21:31

We also had a dog, which passed away from problems due to old age, and haven't replaced her thus far. That may never happen. But that has nothing to do with Linux, and I don't believe that having pets in general does, either. The question doesn't really make much sense, IMO.
sgosnell

Postby GarryRicketson » 2016-05-20 01:20

Teaching the kids how to use Debian ,
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
GarryRicketson

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic