Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
edbarx

Re: Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

#16 Post by edbarx »

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!
Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.

To Mods/Admins: I have been polite and behaved civilly, however, I will not continue to behave that way, if golinux does not stop misbehaving.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

No_windows

#17 Post by No_windows »

Two cats. The boy will jump out of my desk chair when I get close. I practically have to sit on the girl to get her out of the chair!

golinux

#18 Post by golinux »

edbarx wrote:Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.
If there were no 'dust' none of us would be here. Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.
May the FORK be with you!

bse5150

#19 Post by bse5150 »

We had a dog, but he passed away. Never got another one.
There's no point in crying over spilled milk. Especially if you don't like milk. And if you don't have to clean it up, spill as much milk as you want.

spacex

#20 Post by spacex »

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!
No therapy needed.There is no stronger connection than between man and dog. You should try it. It makes us more emphatic as human beings. Also towards humans...

Besides, they are great fun :)

golinux

#21 Post by golinux »

wizard10000 wrote:
golinux wrote:Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.
It does - but everyone has their own path. I would suggest caution when representing your faith as fact :mrgreen:
That's a bit like advising caution when representing gravity as fact. Of course there are currently plenty of those who doubt basic scientific principles. I don't have 'faith'. I have the benefit of empirical experience. Everyone does indeed have their own path and for most the journey will be long and fraught with suffering. That is of course a choice (as is every thought, word or action) . . .
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

golinux wrote:That is of course a choice (as is every thought, word or action) . . .
Don't be silly, free will is an illusion.

http://breakingthefreewillillusion.com/ ... free-will/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will

:mrgreen:

(sorry for the OT, OP!)
deadbang

dasein

#23 Post by dasein »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653 wrote:...religious...discussions do not belong on this board.

edbarx

#24 Post by edbarx »

Neuroscience is still in its embryonic stage and lacks important theories to explain the source of free will which is a direct effect of consciousness. So, the question of what constitutes free will is a question regarding consciousness itself. Consciousness, is still not explained although there are hypotheses that try to attempt an explanation. There are also various speculative explanations, like 'quantum consciousness', that ignores the complex neural circuits found in any biological brain, postulating consciousness is the result of the collapse of quantum wave functions set up in neural tubules.

As everyone with some education can appreciate and understand, speculation alone can never be science as it usually lacks evidence. Historical instances exist of classical speculative explanations that attempted to explain the movement of the planets which postulated the Earth was at the centre of the universe with the sun orbiting like the moon.

Unless neuroscience can explain scientifically how consciousness is generated by the brain, especially human brains, no one can claim anything about the nature of free will.

Is consciousness the result of quantum entanglement of electrons interacting in synapses? Neuroscience found that consciousness is usually characterised by synchronous 40Hz oscillations which take place in different parts of the human brain at the same time. Does this mean, electrons or other subatomic particles in synapses interact with each other through quantum entanglement? As you can see, this is all speculation on my part, and cannot be science as long as there is no experimental evidence corroborating what I wrote.

Currently the best hypoteses attempting to explain the generation of human consciousness is by Giulio Tononi, An information integration theory of consciousness.
http://bmcneurosci.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2202-5-42 wrote: Presentation of the hypothesis

This paper presents a theory about what consciousness is and how it can be measured. According to the theory, consciousness corresponds to the capacity of a system to integrate information. This claim is motivated by two key phenomenological properties of consciousness: differentiation – the availability of a very large number of conscious experiences; and integration – the unity of each such experience. The theory states that the quantity of consciousness available to a system can be measured as the Φ value of a complex of elements. Φ is the amount of causally effective information that can be integrated across the informational weakest link of a subset of elements. A complex is a subset of elements with Φ>0 that is not part of a subset of higher Φ. The theory also claims that the quality of consciousness is determined by the informational relationships among the elements of a complex, which are specified by the values of effective information among them. Finally, each particular conscious experience is specified by the value, at any given time, of the variables mediating informational interactions among the elements of a complex.

fred barclay

#25 Post by fred barclay »

Dogs all the way!

I've also got a soft spot for rodents/small mammals like guinea pigs and rabbits. But cats? No! I've never met a person that owns a cat, only cats that own people. ;)
Last edited by fred barclay on 2016-05-07 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

sgosnell

#26 Post by sgosnell »

We also had a dog, which passed away from problems due to old age, and haven't replaced her thus far. That may never happen. But that has nothing to do with Linux, and I don't believe that having pets in general does, either. The question doesn't really make much sense, IMO.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

GarryRicketson

#27 Post by GarryRicketson »

Teaching the kids how to use Debian ,

stevepusser

#28 Post by stevepusser »

Cute! What are those--half moon conures?

There's currently some sicko shooting naturalized South American parrots and conures down by the San Diego beachfront:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2016 ... er-police/#

I have to dispute the premise in the original post that Linux users have to spend more time than Windows users setting it up and maintaining it. Maintenance being the big difference: http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/05/05/see ... am-xcxwbn/
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#29 Post by GarryRicketson »

Cute! What are those--half moon conures?
Actually I am not sure, for sure. but I just now did a search :
half moon conures
And the description fits to a T, these were babies when I got them, they just barely had any feathers, I fed them with a eye dropper, then later I started chewing the more solid food up a little, and fed them, from my mouth. When I go out side, they stay right with me, when do try to fly, they can't go very far yet, but all ways come running back to me, after they land on the ground,. They are very playful, and love to climb around every thing.
That is terrible about the San Diego, area,....
I have to dispute the premise in the original post that Linux users have to spend more time than Windows users setting it up and maintaining it
I wonder if he learned a lesson now, ? I often feel the same, when I get stuck in a long line at a store, and I ask, why are the lines not moving, ? Everything comes to a halt,.. Why, ? the "system" went down, Blue Screen, or "Oh, is updating ",..
I ask, oh really, What kind of "system" ?,,...Windows,...I don't say anything,
but it just goes to show, my thoughts are "If you were using linux, this probably wouldn;t be happening..."

edbarx

#30 Post by edbarx »

stevepusser wrote:I have to dispute the premise in the original post that Linux users have to spend more time than Windows users setting it up and maintaining it.
... but don't box my ears. :)

stevepusser

#31 Post by stevepusser »

And if I'm not mistaken, Linux also clears up acne, cures male-pattern baldness, and increases sexual stamina.

That sentence is absolutely true, if you consider the first clause. :)

GarryRicketson

#32 Post by GarryRicketson »

Linux also clears up acne, cures male-pattern baldness------snip
After I installed MX-14 to my kids laptop, (teenager), it really was amazing, but his acne also disappeared.
And my younger brothers, they use windows, both are younger then me, one being almost 15 years younger, any way they both , well the youngest is starting to go bald, the older one, but still younger then me, is bald,...any way they use Windows.
I have been using Linux for many years, never did use Windows, all though years ago, and still do use DOS, years ago msdos, but now "FreeDos", and then Unix,...anyway,
I do not have a trace of baldness. Not even much "gray", a little but at 62 that is not unusual, ...in fact my hair grows to much, to fast, tomorrow I have to go get another haircut,..
Also both my grandfathers, and my father went bald at fairly young ages. I am the only one in our family that use Linux, and I am the only male that is not going bald.
That sentence is absolutely true
So that is enough proof, for me , that your statement is true. :mrgreen:
I had never connected it with Linux, but sometimes I had been wondering why they all
went bald and I didn't, Now I know.

sgosnell

#33 Post by sgosnell »

Male pattern baldness is inherited from the maternal side, not the paternal. Whether or not your father was bald has little or no bearing on whether you will be bald. Look rather at your maternal grandfather. Nothing is certain, however. My maternal grandfather was mostly bald, but I've never had any trace of it.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

kedaha

#34 Post by kedaha »

Keeping a dog/cat as a pet is fine with the caveat that your hardware might get damaged as reported on these forums:
sKrave wrote:My dog chewed up my old wired dynex usb headset, so I bought a Logitech Wireless H600 headset and now am having sound problems
in this topic.
saulgoode wrote:Perhaps your cat chewed through the cable? (It's happened to me.)

quoted here
craigevil wrote:LOl stupid cat chewed through the power supply XO works fine.

mentioned here
But one shouldn't rush to a hasty generalisation. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, wait until those conures start chewing on wires, then they won't be that cute. They are compulsive chewers, more like little cute feathered rats, so you'll have to keep them away from dangerous wires for their own safety, or give them something that's more fun to destroy, like balsa wood.