Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sorry, i Love FrankenDebian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Re: Sorry, i Love FrankenDebian

#46 Post by bester69 »

hi,

Im trying ubuntu kernel 4.7.2, at the moment very smooth all (at to date, new kernels keeps boosting performance up, i hope this does not stop :o ), everything working well with it.

it might resolve high cpu kde bug,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129308
as at the moment seems cpu activity is not looping anymore with this kernel, iwill tell you if it resolves it definitly.

I like to boots up my debian as much as i can, son My Franquie now would be as follows:
- Kernel 4.7.2 ubuntu
- xorg-intel (testing) 1.18.4
- i965-va-driver (testing)
- firmware-linux* (bpo)
- pulseaudio (bpo)
- systemd (bpo)
- libva 0.83 (testing)
- Mesa 12.0.1 (compiled)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

ruffwoof

Re: Sorry, i Love FrankenDebian

#47 Post by ruffwoof »

bester69 wrote:Love FrankenDebian

My proceed installation steps:

- First I install all my stable packages
- Second I install third party free applications such as : Google Earth, Skype, Adobe Reader,etc
- Third I install some forwarding applications (wheezy) such as: amule, acetoneiso, or others not available in jessie
- Fourd I install jessies-backports last kernel, firmware and graphics packages acceleration and others applications like libreoffice, vlc, etc.
- Five I install some multimedia applition from deb-multimedia repositories
Thirefox, USBimagewriter and Mint themes from mint repositories
Kodi from MEpis repositories, etc.
Acestreamclient and some other from ubuntu repositories
- And Six, i installed some last firmware and packages graphics from testing.
And to turn up the heat .... run as root? :)

My Frankendebian includes Skype, Homerun launcher, Google Chrome + pepperflash, MasterPDFEditor ...etc. i.e. I do somewhat similar ... BUT using a frugal HDD installation. Download the LiveCD version and copy the /live folder to HDD and boot that filesystem.squashfs using grub4dos. Combined with the persistence persistence-read-only boot parameters and any changes are stored in memory .. which you can flush to disk at any time you choose (or not) by running a script. If you first make all the 'official' changes/configuration and save that, you can merge that into the main filesystem.squashfs (that otherwise is read-only) so you can boot that 'official' version alone. Add in the extra unofficial changes on top of that via the aufs layered filesystem and you have the option to boot/run either the official version alone or the Frankendebian version via a simple boot-up list choice (my Frankendebian includes running as root). When updates are available you get advised (I run KDE so a notification pops up) ... so reboot into the official version, apt-get upgrade those save/reform a (updated) filesystem.squashfs ... and reboot back into frankendebian mode again afterwards.

A great thing about frugal booting for me is that I can try things out (apt get install whatever ..... etc.) maybe totally trash the session, and a reboot has things back to how they were before. The downside is that more often you don't save session, so all changes are lost by rebooting - so you have to store docs/data etc. outside (on a different disk/partition) - which generally isn't a problem, excepting the loss of browser bookmarks (unless you export/import them). You can also have more than one system 'installed' as well, so if there are problems booting one (Debian Jessie KDE for instance), you can boot another system to help investigate what the problem might be (Puppy Linux DebianDog Jessie 64 in my case, along with several others that I sometimes play around with).

Another good aspect is that if you use a fast choice of filesystem.squashfs (de)compression, then that is faster to load from disk than full install. Typically compression reduces the size down by half, but has the CPU overhead of having to decompress, when 4 cores are doing that decompression however at 400MB per core speeds as per LZ4 compression/decompression then that's approaching some systems ram speed (half as much disk IO plus decompression time is faster than 100% disk IO with no decompression). Speed is further aided by storing changes in memory rather than writing to disk.

I love my FrankenDebian 2. By the way of contrast I always feel some discomfort booting fully installed, all changes immediately written to disk alternative systems. Past experiences have usually resulted in problems when backups have had to be called upon ... ranging from the backups being corrupt/non-loadable, to not having been diligently made and relatively 'old'.