Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

my Linux point of view (PRO's vs CON 's)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

my Linux point of view (PRO's vs CON 's)

#1 Post by bester69 »

Why do i like it? (PRO's)
- Linux has no viruses, nor malware, etc --> It doesn matter what Someones say, none know none that has ever infected in linux , so in real life the probability to get infected might be similar to the one of being strucked by a lightning. :D

-The curious case of Benjamin Button. Linux boots up your old computer, every year my computer gets younger and younger thanks to new kernels, firmware, etc,its pretty cool, My computer is 8 years old, and yet stay young and strong :o

- Linux is faster, more agile and responive Unlike windows, it keeps your Sytem in form, by eating less CPU and less hard disk, less memory RAM than others, etc

- Linux gradually evolves and at the same time it is Always the same, Years goes pass, but tools, desktops enviroments remains adapting to new times, as the whole thing do. What is great because if you are out from a long time, when you come back you know things will stay in the same place.

- Linux give you a continuous and progressive learning curve, what gives you more control and knowledge over your system, every year you learn more and more, and you are able to do more thing for yourn own, others windows user never will dream to do.

- Linux is the best with multimedia, Sounds quality is great, Multimedia players runs with great performance

- Linux is plug and play. Most of the times you dont need to install drivers, You connect any old device of any nature and it works,

- Linux is easy portable or platform independent, You can move a system installation almost like a copy/paste

- Linux gets the job done --> If youre new, you must find some difficulties or lack of tools, or knowledges to do it, but it can be done,in linux everything can be done.

- Linux is multipurpose --> You can convert your system in anything you imagine, and next use it as your desktop system.

- Linux is multiuser --> You can have all your family having use of your computer with the security than they wont break your system, non install anything or erase you personal files.

-Linux is free You can downladed it any time without virus from internet :wink:

-Linux is open source ,has become successful system nowadays, has a strong community of developers and a promise future--> Which means it has a safe future as that become it World Heritage.
----------------------------------
Why don't i like it? (CON's)

- Linux world is like a jungle, can be very confusing for newbies --> Many linux distributions, thousands of packages and applications you dont know if you must install or no. You must tried it by yourself cos every person has an opinion different about a DE or an application i find difficult contrasting opinions .

- Always come up something failing- --> As you comes deep youll find more issues, some firmware or application working unpropertly, and the need to apply some tweaking or workarounds to have it all in place.

- Linux can become boring Its always the same DE, the same applications, etc. once you have played with all the packages and programs, you find litle things come fresh and news as for applications remains the same ones.

- Linux utility applications comes with many litle hidden bugs . It must be something about open source :mrgreen:,but most of them can bypassed

- Linux is very addictive, As you gain knowledge and control over your system, you enjoy, and you want more.. :twisted:

- Linux is not for regular users..> It doesnt matther what they say, linux is for skilled people, informatic persons, or that character, unless they dont need to install anything, and just use the tools preinstalled, cos unlike windows, linux software installation can be a headache. to install a simple java, flash or others things may required some skills and knowledge. :x :x

And the worse thing about linux---> Linux eats your time and your soul . --> You spare your whole life tweaking your system, so you lost your focus in your life, because the new kernel or the new upgrade messed up your graphical card, and so on.. :shock: :mrgreen:

but deninitly i find in linux one of my hobbies :wink:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

jymm

Re: my Linux point of view (PRO's vs CON 's)

#2 Post by jymm »

I disagree that Linux is not for regular users. I have been using Linux for about 2-3 years. I am 60, use a GUI for every thing except updating, upgrading and I also use pkill for stopping programs. I surf, e-mail and use music programs. I had used open source before coming to Linux through SourceForge (Clementine, SMplayer, MP3 Gain, and Audacity). I left windows over Win8. I love the Mate desktop (or gnome classic). I use synaptic or gdebi to install programs. I have tried Zorin, SolusOS, Point Linux, Ubuntu Mate, and now Debian. I have had no major problems with any of those OS's I am dual booting Debian and Ubuntu on my laptop, and running Zorin on my desktop. I was burned by the first SolusOS end, and though I like Point Linux, I see it headed in the same direction. I have decided to stick with major distros from now on. I have had no major problems with any of those OS's.

I usually join the forums just in case I have a problem or need help. I have no desire to become an advanced user. For all I had heard about the difficulty of installing Debian, I did not find the graphic installer hard to use. If I can do this, the average user can certainly do it.

If there is a difference so far with Debian, it is the forum. I have found the questions much more advanced and members a bit less tolerant of newbies who don't at least try to find a solution on their own and turn to the forum first. Then again their are distros that cater to newbies, and their forums are geared to help those people along, though they face many of the same problems. People thinking Linux will run .exe programs, and people not giving any information about their system and defining their problem in other than broad terms.

I like Linux and will not go back to Windows. I hope we can all be good ambassadors for Linux when people inquire. I certainly try to point people to Linux, even average users.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

jymm wrote:I disagree that Linux is not for regular users. I have been using Linux for about 2-3 years. I am 60, use a GUI for every thing except updating, upgrading and
... I use synaptic or gdebi to install programs. I
-- have tried Zorin, SolusOS, Point Linux, Ubuntu Mate, and now Debian.
...I am dual booting Debian and Ubuntu on my laptop,
--I usually join the forums just in case I have a problem or need help.
I like Linux and will not go back to Windows. I hope we can all be good ambassadors for Linux when people inquire. I certainly try to point people to Linux, even average users.
So, you spend hundrends of hours installing distros, you have dual boot, etc, and browsing the forums, and you say youre a regular user...., are you kidding me?

in a few years, we might say linux is for any user. i think Ubuntu is pushing in that direction..

by the way, welcome to the forum
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

#4 Post by edbarx »

bester69 wrote:- Linux has no viruses, nor malware, etc --> It doesn matter what Someones say, none know none that has ever infected in linux , so in real life the probability to get infected might be similar to the one of being strucked by a lightning. :D
There is no magic with Linux. Click here for a short list of Linux viruses, worms, etc.

New users be aware there can never ever be an OS that is totally immune to infections.
bester69 wrote:The curious case of Benjamin Button. Linux boots up your old computer, every year my computer gets younger and younger thanks to new kernels, firmware, etc,its pretty cool, My computer is 8 years old, and yet stay young and strong :o
Another illusion that is either the product of your enthusiasm, or of having read some misinformation on the net, which sadly is common.

Later versions of Linux need more power because they are invariably coded on newer machines. Are you claiming Linux developers do not use newer CPU features?

My experience is, Linux is getting heavier just like what happened to MS Windows and I dare say other OSs.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

jymm

#5 Post by jymm »

Hundreds of hours to install a OS? Hardly, more like about 30 minutes. I explained about Solus and Point ending and going nowhere. I dual booted first to try Linux and keep windows. I can't install a tar file, so I am hardly and "expert"(as I said, I use gdebi and synaptic). It is amazing how much your imagination fills in details.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:....
Later versions of Linux need more power because they are invariably coded on newer machines. Are you claiming Linux developers do not use newer CPU features?

My experience is, Linux is getting heavier just like what happened to MS Windows and I dare say other OSs.
I'd say not so much, i know linux kernel is becoming heavier as its growing,adding firmware and features, and new frameworks and systems need more ram an cpu,but up to date. the boosts performance of the new kernels and upgrades have been positives.

In my old Laptop extensa 5230 (from 2008,), the system performance improve with the move from wheezy to Jessie, the new las kernel 4.5bpo give more performance than the 3.16. The system feels more responsive, and more stable, as you already know new kernels always try to improve performance file system, etc. The last packages firmware unlock some improves, features and performance as you also know (new kernels brings microcode what in my case fixed a KDE Hight cpu bug).

I know that in one, or perhaps two years my old system will become to decrease performance with the new upgrades, but up to date its been the opposite..

For examples, up to date: firefox/ieweasel has been getting faster and faster, and eating more or less the same ram demands,
Chromium has gone slower and slower, and heavier--> So i had to dowgrade and stack to Chromium v.35

Im now using KDE 4.14, and im very satisfied, the CPU consume is very, very low, and with just 2G RAM can work propertly. I think kde 5 demands will be still lower than kde4 and will improve perfromance over 4 as KDE 5 uses QT5 rendering tasks onto the GPU, which frees up resources on the system's main CPU, and is faster and more power efficient. So whats coming still thing can go better ..:P :P

I can't say the same about Windows 10, i have it insatlled in dual boot,and its something horrible, you can't even open a simple firefox..

spacex

#7 Post by spacex »

bester69 wrote:...you have dual boot, etc, and you say youre a regular user...., are you kidding me?
I have MULTI boot, etc, so I guess I'm a guru then :lol:

edbarx

#8 Post by edbarx »

I use grub2 to multiboot my computers which is installed in very minimal Debian installation with only root as a user. All the remaining OSs do not have a bootloader installed, so to maintain the grub2 menu, I boot either edit grub.cfg by hand or boot the installation that has grub2 installed to run update-grub after obviously creating a backup of my previous grub.cfg. This system has proved extremely reliable to the extent that I never ever need to edit grub.cfg after kernel updates to any installed OS. Currently, I have 9 OSs installed the majority of which have a grub2 menu entry. Those which don't have a menu entry are booted by pressing 'e' as soon as grub2 displays its menu, selecting a menu entry, and editing its code by hand.

Multiboot can be fun if well managed.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

HuangLao

#9 Post by HuangLao »

Yes Linux is more secure by design, however, the virus/malware dilemma is not immunity so much as no real benefit for the virus to prosper.....yet. If Linux were to become a major contender on desktop then you better believe that viruses would become a real threat. Perhaps not the same type as Windows, but look at Apple even they and their *BSD base have had a few "scares".

Would still pick GNU/Linux over Windows or Apple any day of the week, currently. Oh and *BSD is pretty awesome as well. :mrgreen:

spacex

#10 Post by spacex »

edbarx wrote:I use grub2 to multiboot my computers which is installed in very minimal Debian installation with only root as a user. All the remaining OSs do not have a bootloader installed, so to maintain the grub2 menu, I boot either edit grub.cfg by hand or boot the installation that has grub2 installed to run update-grub after obviously creating a backup of my previous grub.cfg. This system has proved extremely reliable to the extent that I never ever need to edit grub.cfg after kernel updates to any installed OS. Currently, I have 9 OSs installed the majority of which have a grub2 menu entry. Those which don't have a menu entry are booted by pressing 'e' as soon as grub2 displays its menu, selecting a menu entry, and editing its code by hand.

Multiboot can be fun if well managed.
Yes, I have the same experience as you. Multiboot works very well for me. I have one stable Debian install, which I use as a master-grub, and it also serves as a backup-OS, in case I should need it. Works very well. Never had any issue with it.

Crewp

#11 Post by Crewp »

Linux can become boring Its always the same DE, the same applications, etc. once you have played with all the packages and programs, you find litle things come fresh and news as for applications remains the same ones.
If you call stability boring, then maybe you are right, I find the applications useful, and a wide choice of DE's for any taste.

Innovate

#12 Post by Innovate »

bester69 wrote: Windows can become boring Its always the same single DE(While Linux has many DE), the same applications(Such as Adobe & nothing else), etc. once you have played with all the packages and programs, you find litle things come fresh and news as for applications remains the same ones.
Yeah, right. :)