Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unity Desktop has become too good!!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Unity Desktop has become too good!!

#1 Post by bester69 »

There was so long i didnt install Ubuntu, so today i gave it a try to Ubuntu 16.04, and crap, Unity desktop has become so good,i'd say its without a dude the most polish and worked DE, you can feel there're many hours of job behind, everything is well thinked, and everything seems to work great.. :shock:

In part, is normal, canonical chose its own DE, and it has several years of polishment, so i suppose they have improven it a lot since then,

Now, i'd say Unity is amazing, even in some way better than KDE.. I'd like to have it in repos. :? ,
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

fred barclay

Re: Unity Desktop has become too good!!

#2 Post by fred barclay »

Glad you like it! I still don't. :lol:

I hear it's much better (as you say) but I found Unity too restrictive and un-hackable. Besides, I don't really care for Ubuntu as a distro--LMDE, Debian, and Arch are much more to my liking--so I haven't tried Unity in quite some time.

What parts do you like, exactly? Could you give some examples?

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

So you're headed off to the Ubuntu users' forums now?
MX Linux packager and developer

MALsPa

#4 Post by MALsPa »

I'm okay with Unity. I'm using it in Ubuntu 15.10. Haven't tried 16.04 yet. I actually prefer GNOME Shell over Unity, though, and I've added GNOME Shell to 15.10. If Unity was in the Debian repos, I don't think that I'd use it in Debian.

It's kinda interesting that, unlike any other desktop I can think of, you don't find Unity available for other distros, only Ubuntu. Well, I take that back, there's the Unity-for-Arch repository (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un ... y-for-Arch). But I won't be adding Unity to MY Arch installation! Found the following at the Arch wiki:
Warning: Installing Unity means that many official packages will be replaced with patched Ubuntu versions. Be careful to check the resulting package conflicts.
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity)

I use a quicklist in Unity for easy access to a few more apps. Looks like this:

Crewp

#5 Post by Crewp »

It's been a long while since I used Ubuntu / Unity DE. I never hated it, but I'm sure it must of come along way by now, maybe I'll give it a spin on my test machine. PS. I will always prefer Debian to Ubuntu.

HuangLao

#6 Post by HuangLao »

bester69 wrote:There was so long i didnt install Ubuntu, so today i gave it a try to Ubuntu 16.04, and crap, Unity desktop has become so good,i'd say its without a dude the most polish and worked DE, you can feel there're many hours of job behind, everything is well thinked, and everything seems to work great.. :shock:

In part, is normal, canonical chose its own DE, and it has several years of polishment, so i suppose they have improven it a lot since then,

Now, i'd say Unity is amazing, even in some way better than KDE.. I'd like to have it in repos. :? ,
Don't get too attached because they are ditching Unity 7 for Unity 8 (possibly in 16.10 or later) and its interface is completely different. Also, FYI, Unity in 16.04 is a hack job, its components are from various versions of Gnome Shell some 3.16 others 3.14 etc... Do you like it enough to jump to Ubuntu?