Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to know if i've got a virus?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
fred barclay

Re: How to know if i've got a virus?

#21 Post by fred barclay »

No, I haven't heard of it. It looks rather interesting, but still...
I don't trust my data online! :lol:

edbarx

#22 Post by edbarx »

IMO if you don't have control of your encryption key encryption is useless
That is not an opinion but a fact. I would go a step further by creating a public and a private key for my encryption and keep both keys private.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pendrachken

#24 Post by pendrachken »

dasein wrote:
Bulkley wrote:6. Does FrankenDebian have risks?
Not to mention "is WINE malware-compatible?" (since a substantial number of the OP's favorite "Linux" apps are actually Windows apps) Or perhaps the OP is about to learn that his opinion regarding Linux's invulnerability is, y'know, WRONG.
Schadenfreude moment

As of several years ago already, yes, at least partially. I was doing some testing of some infected files in a WINE prefix, and one of them managed to both crash the application it used to infect the prefix, and stay resident in the subprocess it spawned - fully able to connect to IRC and initiate DCC chats with the phone home master controller, and DCC file send to users on the IRC network.

So yes, WINE is at least partially malware compatible. With newer NT kernel technologies and better process isolation nowadays maybe even MORE compatible than current windows :lol:
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P