Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

telnet vunerable?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
llivv

telnet vunerable?

#1 Post by llivv »

telnet vunerabilites seem to be showing up lately. I once told an old friend that even putty (which is a debian package) might be suseptable to backdoor access. I have used telnet ssl under freebsd (probably not correctly) which gave me a bit more confidence in my pursuit of telnet privacy.

Do any of you have experience with or comments relating to the warnings that telnet is insecure, either commercially or privately.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17240/E ... loit-Found

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

why bother when there's ssh?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

AgenT

#3 Post by AgenT »

There is no such thing as "telnet ssl". There is ssh but that is different. That is to say, there is no such thing as a ssl enhancement to telnet. If someone wants to have a secure telnet, they use ssh instead. The point being: a telnet vulnerability should not affect ssh.

Grifter

#4 Post by Grifter »

AgenT

#5 Post by AgenT »

I stand corrected. But why? Just use ssh. :)

Grifter

#6 Post by Grifter »

Indeed (: