Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How much does your internet service cost you?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
edbarx

How much does your internet service cost you?

#1 Post by edbarx »

Hi,

I have received the good news from my internet service provider that my monthly tariff has automatically increased by 15%. As usual, and I am sure many can guess, the excuse is they must upgrade their equipment to improve their services.

My current internet speed is 30 Mega Bit / Second, the new speed will be 40 Mega Bit / Second. I pay Euro 19.99 monthly for the 30 Mega Bit / Second, the new imposed tariff is Euro 23.

What about your service?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

ralph.ronnquist

Re: How much does your internet service cost you?

#2 Post by ralph.ronnquist »

I'm enjoying split speed ADSL 2+ link, 8/0.8 Mbps, combined with the home phone, at AUD $59 (~40 euro) monthly.

andre@home

#3 Post by andre@home »

In total we pay € 23,99 for 30/3 VDSL.

But I share our network with 2 others, so also sharing the costs...
Let's say we pay € 10 per month each...(so including some extra current.. and some cost for replacing hardware sometimes)

Doing this already since 1999..... when dial-in over the phone was normal but extremly costly (sometimes >>50 euro p/m..) So my neighbour, a graphic design expert, had the same costly problem... So we made a network (cabled as wifi was hardly available and very expensive) and shared our cable internet, in those days something like 2.5/0.5 MBit speed. Our other neighbour joined later.. and we still are running this way without major problems. What helps is that we are not big downloaders, so the speed is generally ok. Glass fibre is yet not available here.

So an interesting savings since 1999....;)

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

30€ for 100Mbps up and down fiber.

For 50 (I think it was) could upgrade to o 1000Mbps, but I have no idea what one could do with that. Start a new Google?

sgosnell

#5 Post by sgosnell »

$55/month, "up to 18Mbps". Legally, I think that means that once in awhile it might reach that, but mostly it's slower. And that's a promo rate, going up next bill.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

500 mx pesos a month, unless I do a lot of downloads or uploads, then I use up the band width and it runs out before the month is over.
Based on the current rate that is about $85.00 3gb , the speed varies, depending
on weather ,and other things...it is a broad band device. No landlines here yet.

PhilGil

#7 Post by PhilGil »

$45/~41€ per month for 50/6 cable. It's an average price in the US, but expensive by European standards :( .

andre@home

#8 Post by andre@home »

GarryRicketson wrote:...it is a broad band device. No landlines here yet.
Amazing..
In most European countries we have the luxury of having reasonable to excellent internet.
I was in Canada in 2006 . They had satellite interenet and it was organized pretty good and about 40 CAN dollar in those days (can't remember the allowed volume)

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Roughly £38 for 80Mb (including line rental, £22 for the actual connection).

By today's exchange rates, I think that's about €1.50 a month...
:(
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

The school has a satellite provider, that is paid for by the government,
But the cost for a individual to have that , for personal or private use
is way to much to be practical.
The wifi at the school is open, and that is what a lot of the kids do, it is still "on" even
after school hours, in fact if we lived just a little bit closer to the school I could be
using it.
Not that far from here, about 1hour drive, in a bigger "town", they do have phone lines,
etc,... it still costs about the same monthly, but is considerably faster, ...
We live in a rather rural area:
-----------------------------my back yard--------------------

edbarx

#12 Post by edbarx »

To GarryRicketson:

With those surroundings you have no excuse not to keep physically active and healthy.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

andre@home

#13 Post by andre@home »

There is never an excuse not to get your daily portion to keep you keep physically active and healthy... NL is one big town compared to GarryRicketson's situation...

I'm now 60 and run still 5x a week, just because I always sport since I was 18 and became very lazy in moving around as a student.... sitting the whole day on the bench... that was really a wake up call I was very glad with later on...
I never was a profi in sporting.
Because I just kept doing it.. still running a 10km in ~40 minutes.. (40:18 last year)
You do not have to be that to keep you physically active and healthy...just move enough, don't too too much... when you're not used to, you may get injured when doing too much...

And when I get back from running... often have new ideas on improving our Debian server when needed, which is basically a data server for my son, where our files can be kept too...

andre@home

#14 Post by andre@home »

Saw the item today: NL is going down on the average speed list. A pity that average costs are not reported.
Worldwide it is 6.3 Mbps. Did not know that Korea is so fast...
In Europe we are in general in the positive side, although e.g. in France in areas where not many people live, internet is difficult to get and thus quite costly compared to e.g. Paris.

http://www.nu.nl/internet/4285216/neder ... ingen.html
Top 10 internetsnelheden
Wereldwijd 6.3 Mbps
1: Zuid-Korea 28 Mbps
2: Noorwegen 21.3 Mbps
3: Zweden 20.6 Mbps
4: Hong Kong 19.9 Mbps
5: Zwitserland 18.7 Mbps
6: Letland 18.3 Mbps
7: Japan 18.2 Mbps
8: Nederland 17.9 Mbp
9: Tsjechië 17.8 Mbps
10: Finland 17.7 Mbps

pendrachken

#15 Post by pendrachken »

50Mbps down / 5Mbps up ATT DSL = $50USD

Other house:

80Mbps down / 8 Mbps up cable = $65 USD

All are unlimited transfer ( no data caps).
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#16 Post by NFT5 »

At home up to 80Mbps down/8Mbps up (in reality 60/6Mbps) $AUD90/month with 1000GB limit on VDSL2 including phone with free calls and Fetch TV. Link

At work 8Mbps down/0.8Mbps up $AUD110/month with 200GB limit on ADSL2 with phone and free local calls. Link

4km apart. Go figure. :?