Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel 4.6 a worthy one

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
floreado

Re: Kernel 4.6 a worthy one

#16 Post by floreado »

The problem with switching to the backported kernel is that the user then has to keep track of kernel updates in order to protect against security vulnerabilities and with the jessie-backports kernel any new features may introduce regressions that degrade functionality on your machine.

This problem does not occur with the stable kernel and hardware support should be guaranteed throughout the lifecyle of the release.

EDIT: Please don't take @bester69's posts too seriously, that user can be considered the "court jester" of these boards
@Head_on_a_Stick

I'll take your advice.
It's pointless to look for problem which doesn't exist as you noticed.

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Another reason I backport Liquorix kernels is that they enable staging drivers, mostly for wifi, where the Debian backported kernels don't. This again is almost all for newer hardware.

Anyway, I just sent up the sources for the latest Liquorix to the OBS, which means the kernels won't be in that repo until they are built. This version backports some patches for Skylake multimonitor support.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Another reason I backport Liquorix kernels is that they enable staging drivers, mostly for wifi, where the Debian backported kernels don't. This again is almost all for newer hardware.

Anyway, I just sent up the sources for the latest Liquorix to the OBS, which means the kernels won't be in that repo until they are built. This version backports some patches for Skylake multimonitor support.
Hi Seteve,
I installed 4.6.4 from
Im testing it; at the moment, I dont feel almost difference between 4.6.3bpo and 4.6.4 MX bpo liqurorix, just a litle bit more responsive liquorix. I probably stay with this up to next one come up.

Thanks, :)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@xinu: When it's ready...

@OP:

Code: Select all

empty@sid ~ % uname -a
Linux sid 4.7.0-rc4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.7~rc4-1~exp1 (2016-06-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux
:P
deadbang

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Another reason I backport Liquorix kernels is that they enable staging drivers, mostly for wifi, where the Debian backported kernels don't. This again is almost all for newer hardware.

Hi Steve,

Do i need zswap?

I got message zswap failed to load, i added to grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash zswap.zpool=zsmalloc"
update-grub
I checked
dmesg | grep zswap
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.6-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 root=UUID=13f8cacf-27d1-43f0-acc3-6f2b3a7e313d ro initrd=/install/gtk/initrd.gz quiet splash zswap.zpool=zsmalloc
[ 0.855942] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zsmalloc
Now its loaded, the thing, is that with zswap everithing seems to feel quicker :o :o , i've never heard about zswap..

do normal kernel has enabled zswapby default?? :?:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

xinu

#21 Post by xinu »

do I have zswap installed ? ? ?

dmesg | grep zswap
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=ac123456789xxx ro zswap.zpool=zsmalloc vga=788 quiet
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=ac123456789xxx ro zswap.zpool=zsmalloc vga=788 quiet
[    1.154198] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zsmalloc
tia !
May the FORK be with you!

i puke slackware ! !

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

As far as I know, you have to specifically enable zswap in order to be using it:
Enabling zswap

To enable zswap at runtime, execute the following command:
# echo 1 > /sys/module/zswap/parameters/enabled
To enable zswap permanently, add this to your kernel boot parameters Kernel parameters#Configuration:
zswap.enabled=1
Those kernel commands you already have are just suppressing that annoying boot error message.

You shouldn't see any speedup unless your system uses the swap file a lot.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote: Now its loaded, the thing, is that with zswap everithing seems to feel quicker :o :o
Please see a doctor to cure your case of confirmation bias. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#24 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:with zswap everithing seems to feel quicker
You need to buy more RAM.

Or move away from KDE...
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#25 Post by GarryRicketson »

No need to "buy" it, you can get more ram for free here:
http://downloadmoreram.com/

bester69

#26 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:with zswap everithing seems to feel quicker
You need to buy more RAM.

Or move away from KDE...
Indeed, i need more CPU, sadly i cant buy more.. Im OK with 2G RAM

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@wizard10000 -- sorry, that was a cheap shot :D

@jester69 -- actually 2G should work with KDE, do you know why you are using swap?

Try https://github.com/pixelb/ps_mem
deadbang

bester69

#28 Post by bester69 »

New kernels 4.7.2 and 4.8 still keeps raising performance,

my old 2008 laptop extensa 5230 still not reaching obsolescence's gap. Good for Torlvalds :)

edbarx

#29 Post by edbarx »

bester69 wrote:New kernels 4.7.2 and 4.8 still keeps raising performance
I don't get this. How can a more recent kernel result in better performance? :? :?:

I remember a few years ago there was a kernel patch that addressed how the scheduler switches between processes that gave better performance. However, this type of patch is not something that occurs with every kernel release.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#30 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:
bester69 wrote:New kernels 4.7.2 and 4.8 still keeps raising performance
I don't get this. How can a more recent kernel result in better performance? :? :?:

I remember a few years ago there was a kernel patch that addressed how the scheduler switches between processes that gave better performance. However, this type of patch is not something that occurs with every kernel release.
I suppose new kernels tends to improve graphical and hard disk (ntfs) drivers, they add optimal code from time to time. So, from time to time, some kernel brings small boots in time responses I/O disk. It also might be some times placebo. anyways i still dont feel my computer is coming inside obsolescence gap,

Some examples:
- kde plasma 5 will boots up performance over kde 4.14 ( new Qt5 motor improves speed)
- Chromium came into obsolescence gap since versión 35 in my computer (i freeze chromium in that version)
- Iceweasel came into obsolescence gap since about version 38 in my computer (i still update it as i keep this browser as security one)
- Kernels 4.7.2 and 4.8 still good (my computer still not slowing down with them, i would say they are some quicker than 3.16kernel)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Post by sunrat »

Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#32 Post by bester69 »

im delighted with kernel 4.8 RC4 (im using ubuntu's kernel), in my user experience everything seems working pretty good with that kernel (very good kernel)

Now im using ubuntu's kenerl to enjoy the last ones, in my user experiences and for my needs i dont see the point in dont use it and this way enjoying last kernels. But if someday someone convince me tha using ububtu's kernel in debian is very bad idea, i will stop doing that unless there isnt risky

i think new stable kernel will be 4.9, i hope they to keep improving.. :wink:

edbarx

#33 Post by edbarx »

bester69 wrote:But if someday someone convince me tha using ububtu's kernel in debian is very bad idea, i will stop doing that unless there isnt risky
What will anyone gain by convincing you? It is you who will benefit.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Post by sunrat »

You can do whatever you want to your system, it's open source. Just make sure you have a full system backup from when it is working. Then you can restore it when it eventually does break.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

pylkko

#35 Post by pylkko »

bester69 wrote:im delighted with kernel 4.8 RC4 (im using ubuntu's kernel), in my user experience everything seems working pretty good with that kernel (very good kernel)

Now im using ubuntu's kenerl to enjoy the last ones, in my user experiences and for my needs i dont see the point in dont use it and this way enjoying last kernels. But if someday someone convince me tha using ububtu's kernel in debian is very bad idea, i will stop doing that unless there isnt risky

i think new stable kernel will be 4.9, i hope they to keep improving.. :wink:
Yes, what would anyone gain from using a Ubuntu kernel? Do you think that it is better than Debian's kernel? If you can give some rational reason for why the Ubuntu kernel is better for your use case, then it would immediately cause me to wonder why you just don't use Ubuntu to begin with? Or use whatever parts of their .config/patching you need? (see http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.8-rc4/) Because if you were to just use Ubuntu instead, and you encountered a problem with something in the future, then you could ask for support at Ubuntu forums. But can you do that if you are using their kernel but have everything else from other distributions? Maybe, probably not.

The official and various unofficial guides on the net to compiling kernels are quite easy to follow. And I wonder what miracles you might be able to do to your "boot time to kde" with some tinkering of the values.