Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Live Persistence changes still there after installation?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
vzLennister

Live Persistence changes still there after installation?

#1 Post by vzLennister »

To make things clear, I'll explain everything very detailed. So I'm using Debian (or better said Kali) in USB Live Persistence mode and made many changes. Now I want to install it as the main OS on my hard disk, so my question is; are the changes I made still there after the actual installation? I don't know for sure, that's why I'm asking, but I think it wouldn't be. So my other question is; how can I "safe" the changes to be there after the installation? I could safe just my changes to another USB, install the OS to the hard disk and then copy the changes in, but you know... it would take me the whole weekend. So if there is someone willing to help me, thank you.

vzLennister

Re: Live Persistence changes still there after installation?

#3 Post by vzLennister »

Isn't Kali based on Debian? I thought I could ask here then... But whatever, then I'll ask in the Kali forum. Thanks for the reply.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

You can ask here, but the thing of it is, there are many distros "based" on Debian, but
each one is different, they are no longer the same as Debian, and it is better for
you, and you are more likely to find people more knowledgeable about "kali", on
their forum.
You are not likely to find anyone here that knows much about "Kali", or in other
words, solutions that normally would work on Debian, might not work on Kali.

fsmithred

#5 Post by fsmithred »

How are you planning to install it? I'm pretty sure that kali uses a variation of the debian installer, so I don't think all your changes will be included in the installed system. But I could be wrong about that. Maybe you could test it by installing into a virtual machine (using virtualbox or qemu.)

Another option would be to use refractainstaller, which is designed to install live media to hard drive. It uses rsync to copy the running system, and it will include any changes you made to the software or configurations. You would need to boot the live system and then install the deb files. The -base package will give you a cli installer script, and the -gui package will give you a graphical frontend that uses yad. (You need both packages for the gui to work.)

And if you want to make a live CD/DVD/USB from your customized installation, you can use refractasnapshot for that.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Ummm....exactly why are you trying to install a distro that's not meant to be installed as a daily desktop, only as a penetration-testing Live Session? It runs as root, for Pete's sake!
MX Linux packager and developer