Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New hardware trends in CPU/RAM mounting.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Re: New hardware trends in CPU/RAM mounting.

#31 Post by pylkko »

edbarx wrote:Pyllko's ego was hurt because I mentioned the Three Stooges....
Better I hurry to fetch the nappies.
??

edbarx

#32 Post by edbarx »

To moderators and admins:
As this thread has degenerated, please either lock it or delete it. I will NOT take offense at mods/admins taking action to improve the forums' signal to noise ratio.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pylkko

#33 Post by pylkko »

the fact that the Novena laptop managed to raise about 3 times it's initial aim (250k USD) indicates that there are people that are some people that are interested in really being able to swap every single part in a laptop. you can even 3d-print the case. but as said, pretty low specced for the price

http://www.dailydot.com/debug/novena-op ... undraiser/

geoaraujo

#34 Post by geoaraujo »

Debian 12

KDE Plasma 5.26.4
Dell Inspiron 7572 Intel i7-8550U CPU 1.8 GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 16GB ram

TDE R14.0.13
Acer TravelMate B117-M Intel Celeron N3060 2.48GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram

edbarx

#35 Post by edbarx »

pyllko wrote:you can even 3d-print the case. but as said, pretty low specced for the price
Oh come on, this is like when I was suggested to purchase a $4000 laptop just to make sure it supported free and open source software. Paying more to get less? I beg your pardon, not attractive at all.

If I ever decide to build a laptop from scratch I can make the case myself out of thin sheet metal. After all, it is a shallow box with a pair of hinges at one side with punched holes.

What I am interested in at the moment is to find a machine with low energy consumption that is based on i5 - i7 CPUs or better rather than flog my pockets purchasing an inferior product for its price. Yes, energy consumption is a prerequisite: this has nothing to do with the environment, but with running costs.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.