Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux Mastery...NOT

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
stevepusser

Linux Mastery...NOT

#1 Post by stevepusser »

I looked over the massive 87 pages of this guide: https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Mastery-Ul ... nav-subnav

Seven distros were recommended as being the "most trusted":

Ubuntu
Souls (sic)
Mint Cinnamon
Ubuntu Studio
Arch Linux
Chrome OS
Elementary OS

Re Souls:
Souls has that modern feel, and is in fact, somewhat new as it was released only in 2012—a time when Ubuntu was mostly used in schools and businesses. Some say that the best thing about Souls is its aesthetic feel, because it really has that elegant, nice-to-look-at feel to it. One thing, though, is that there aren’t too many “Soul Communities” around yet, so if you get to have problems with this distribution, you might have to look for the solution yourself.
Arch:
In fact, it does not even come with as many applications as other distributions do, which means that you do have to know what you’re doing. With this, you have to apply the “Keep it Short and Simple” philosophy, because downloading too much might just make you confused.
Chrome OS:
It’s said that this is one of the main and closest renditions of the early Linux GNU Kernel, but that it has actually exceeded expectations, and is proving to be one of the most reliable Linux distributions. It has since then been repurposed into a working environment on its own, mostly because it’s used to make certain Google Apps, and works fast even if you use applications that take up much space, such as Photoshop. It will make your work much more manageable, but the issue is that there are certain applications that are not available on this distribution that you can find in other Linux distributions. It’s also the kind of distribution that works better offline, so that could be hassle if you’re always connected to the web, but you can make certain updates or upgrades with minimal fees, anyway.
More gems:
When you think of Linux now, you can think about it as a “kernel”—and a kernel may contain multitudes within it. This matters when it comes to hardware, because while Linux offers an amazing collection of software, it doesn’t have much hardware.
Of course, before using any distribution of Linux, it is essential that you install it first. To make that happen, here’s what you have to do:Download the latest version from the official website. (https://www.linux.org/). There, you will find an MSI Package—just double click the file and follow the installation procedure that you will see onscreen. Take note that even if you already have another version of Linux on your system, you can still download a new one as it installs in a new path, with the number of Linux versions that you have. (i.e., C:\Linux\27) This would not get in conflict with the other versions you have.Add directories to PATH for it to easily be found. (i.e., C:\Linux\27 to PATH, etc)
Linux also works for embedded systems, or any device that uses “real-time” mechanisms. For example, if you’re going to watch “TV” but have no television and can only use devices such as BusyBox, you can expect that what’s being fed on real television screens would also be captured by the BusyBox—in real time! This means you wouldn’t have to miss out on anything—so if you’re a media practitioner, this can definitely aid you in your work.
You get the drift. Maybe I could do a respin of MX Linux and call it Souls.
MX Linux packager and developer

Ardouos

Re: Linux Mastery...NOT

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Thanks for the laugh. Never thought someone could sell such a comedic joke. :lol:
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

tomazzi

#3 Post by tomazzi »

Ardouos wrote:Thanks for the laugh. Never thought someone could sell such a comedic joke. :lol:
You shouldn't be surprised - it's just a description of a GNU/Linux written in a microshit's "Word" :lol:

But more seriously: this shows who is who: Amazon is claiming that fuckbuntu is the "best" linux distro?
Come on, what are they supposing to get in return?

Just guessing: a private search results database and a possibility to flood the ubuntu's unity with advertisemens?

no, this is unbelievable, my predictions must be wrong.... :lol:

Regards
Odi profanum vulgus

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Not Amazon, just a book that's available on Amazon (and many pirate sites, but it's not worth the electrons to steal, except for a laugh). The author has "Windows Mastery", etc, books out there, too.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

I feel sorry for the people that don't know better and actually buy
the book and use it as a guide.

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

Snake oil is not a new thing.
May the FORK be with you!

Chiefahol2

#7 Post by Chiefahol2 »

:shock:

Crewp

#8 Post by Crewp »

:lol: my feelings too chief

Innovate

#9 Post by Innovate »

Everything that human wrote into book are from their personal opinions. :lol:

There're many good & useless books exist everywhere.
This is why I love Libraries & ignored bookstore. If you don't like
any books you can just return to that shelf without buying it.

edbarx

#10 Post by edbarx »

This is why I love Libraries & ignored bookstore.
It is the same market syndrome: if it doesn't please the masses, it doesn't sell well. The same thing happens with commercial TV stations. They target the majority of people who are best captured by sensationalism, notwithstanding most of the time, it is baseless sensationalism. Just have a look at popular TV stations.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by NFT5 »

But the difference is that we're not talking so much about printed books as the electronic variety and distribution via the internet where popularity and accuracy do not necessarily go hand in hand. The internet gives every opinion equal opportunity and we're well likely to some, if not all of those 'gems' copied/linked/requoted all over the place until their sheer numbers ensure high ranking in searches and simple validation; if it appears in so many places it must be right.

Truthfully, who among you knew that your Linux distro was in C:\Linux\27 and that you could access to run it by a simple addition to your PATH statement. :P :roll:

Jimmyfd

#12 Post by Jimmyfd »

Whaat a laugh :lol:
UBUNTU ? Debian programmer gone mad !

edbarx

#13 Post by edbarx »

Truthfully, who among you knew that your Linux distro was in C:\Linux\27 and that you could access to run it by a simple addition to your PATH statement.
Actually, a linux installation can reside under C:\Linux\27. I can think of two methods: one in a virtual drive bootable by virtualising software, the second in an ISO file bootable by a bootloader. There is a third option using a new filesystem that can reside in a single file. I don't remember the name, but lately support for it has been added to Debian.

However, I wouldn't flog myself putting Linux installations in an NTFS partition. A native Linux partition is much better if headaches are to be avoided.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#14 Post by NFT5 »

:lol: True. But virtualisation assumes a certain level of knowledge and an ISO file booted by a bootloader isn't using your PATH statement which requires Windows to be already running. Doable, as you say, but why would you bother? Oh yes, because you read it on the internet.

I go back to my main point: Miss Information is a tart - available for use by all who know no better. :wink:

edbarx

#15 Post by edbarx »

NFT5 wrote:Oh yes, because you read it on the internet.
You are definitely right to say that. Sadly, the internet has become a place where there is too much misinformation.
NFT5 wrote:I go back to my main point: Miss Information is a tart - available for use by all who know no better.
I dare say, misinformation is dangerous if not in itself an injustice. Yes, misinformation is a trap for the unaware often resulting in wasted long hours of frustration.

I wouldn't use MS Windows to run Linux. All my Linux installations reside in separate partitions that I can boot with a single independent grub-pc based bootloader.

not12listen

#16 Post by not12listen »

i've wallowed in MS OS's for most of my life, always dabbled in Linux (various distros) over the past 20 years...

plenty of the quotes make my head hurt... and my eyes water from laughter...

the above comments per the internet having turned into a place of mis-information - absolutely agreed. its sad to watch it decline, but wonderful to find islands of logic and truthful info.

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

not12listen wrote:i've wallowed in MS OS's for most of my life, always dabbled in Linux (various distros) over the past 20 years...

plenty of the quotes make my head hurt... and my eyes water from laughter...

the above comments per the internet having turned into a place of mis-information - absolutely agreed. its sad to watch it decline, but wonderful to find islands of logic and truthful info.
I think the author should reinvent the book as a satire; It's certainly not worth much as a beginner's guide. Most of the book is a list of terminal commands, then sections on file management and system security which instead are abstruse compilations of jargon concerning TCP and network packets--the noob just wanting to know how to copy a file will get no help here.