Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What kernel do you use

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Jimmyfd

What kernel do you use

#1 Post by Jimmyfd »

As the thread title says I'm interested in what kernel people are using.

Me, I'm using kernel 4.8RC5-generic on Sid/Testing
UBUNTU ? Debian programmer gone mad !

Ardouos

Re: What kernel do you use

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Code: Select all

$ uname -r
3.16.0-4-amd64
It works and it is supported by the Debian team. So I do not see a point in upgrading to a later release.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2016-09-12 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I use the backported vanilla kernel with jessie just because I have btrfs as the filesystem and the latest kernel version is recommended:

empty@TheLab:~$ uname -a
Linux TheLab 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.4-1~bpo8+1 (2016-08-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
For my gaming laptop (with systemd) I use the Zen-patched Arch [testing] kernel:

empty@Arch ~ % uname -a
Linux Arch 4.7.3-2-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 9 20:31:32 UTC 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
And for my "serious" laptop (without systemd) I have the rather lovely grsec-patched stable (lts) kernel from Alpine Linux (edge repositories):

empty@alpine ~ % uname -a
Linux alpine 4.4.20-0-grsec #1-Alpine SMP Fri Sep 9 08:36:18 GMT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
deadbang

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

I use whatever is the latest in the repo I'm using. I run both Sid and Stable on different machines. I used to chase the latest kernel, but I've given it up as a waste of effort. I just let the normal updates install whatever is current.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

No_windows

#5 Post by No_windows »

OEM Jessie

Linux Holly 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u3 (2016-07-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Whenever I upgrade it causes problems with Virtualbox, and I haven't found any real reason to upgrade.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

sgosnell wrote:I use whatever is the latest in the repo I'm using. I run both Sid and Stable on different machines. I used to chase the latest kernel, but I've given it up as a waste of effort. I just let the normal updates install whatever is current.
Good advice.

edbarx

#7 Post by edbarx »

Here resides a Linux kernel from the stone age! :P

$ uname -a
Linux edbarx-pc 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.73-2+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

I always have two or three kernels installed,

Now,im using 4.8RC6 Ubuntu's, As long as ubuntu kernel works well to me, i will keep using them, so i can enjoy last kernels available.

bester69@hall:~$ uname -a
Linux hall 4.8.0-040800rc6-generic #201609121119 SMP Mon Sep 12 15:21:03 UTC 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
If i experience any problem with the kernel, i go back to previously kernel working well.

By the way, kernel 4.8 works great.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Innovate

#9 Post by Innovate »

3.16.0 still good no errors. This I why I'm back to Jessie I can just keep an old packages that bugless along with me.
On newer repo you can't revive the death. Even Thunar 1.6.10 on Jessie doesn't crash while on Stretch they're crash like crazy. :lol:

Nili

#10 Post by Nili »

nili ~ $ lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:      Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 (jessie)
Release:	       8.5
Codename:	      jessie
nili ~ $ uname -a

Linux Kernel 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1 (2016-09-03) i686 GNU/Linux
Very stable kernel serie.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

pylkko

#11 Post by pylkko »

I get the feeling that it is not considered offensive in this thread to, well you know, show off a little, so right now:

uname -a
Minix minix 3.3.0 Minix 3.3.0 (GENERIC) i386
but maybe that is cheating as it is in qemu and the host is

4.7.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.7.2-1 (2016-08-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I used to think that Minix was only "theoretical" but I read that people have hosted web servers on it.

On linux I always try to find one, preferably LTS, kernel and stay with that as long as possible. This is because I have noticed that when upgrading the kernel all the time, many small things need to be reconfigured and it is time consuming. Suddenly some powersaving option does not work as before, or a VM driver does not work (as mentioned by some one above) or there are changes to firmware or errors in dmesg etc.

ruffwoof

#12 Post by ruffwoof »

Innovate wrote:3.16.0 still good no errors. This I why I'm back to Jessie I can just keep an old packages that bugless along with me.
On newer repo you can't revive the death. Even Thunar 1.6.10 on Jessie doesn't crash while on Stretch they're crash like crazy. :lol:
I have noticed that in Stable KDE, the stable LibreOffice doesn't focus dialogs correctly. Libre starts non focused and if you cut/paste-special for instance the dialog for that isn't focused so you have to (annoyingly) reach for the mouse or whatever to bring it into focus. Under LXDE/Gnome ... no problem, all focuses correctly.

Maybe ??? later versions correct that bug.

That was a show stopper for me. Whilst stable, it doesn't work as intended and in a manner that makes it unusable from my perspective. Having spent ages setting KDE up how I liked, I've now ditched that. Tried Gnome for a while, liked it a lot, but the fonts/text just don't cut it. LXDE ... fine, which I'm now using. Panel icon management not so good, but once set up how you like that's no longer a issue.

kedaha

#13 Post by kedaha »

After last update the 3.16.0-4-amd64 on all systems, server & desktop.
Stable kernel.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

Innovate wrote:3.16.0 still good no errors. This I why I'm back to Jessie I can just keep an old packages that bugless along with me.
But 3.16 its kind of prehistoric kernel, why dont you guys just update..?, new kernel boots up performance file system and firmware graphics among others.

I suppose you must have computer from before 2000's, if not i dont understand why you are so obssesed with solid rock stability, if you were NASA i would understand...
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

HuangLao

#15 Post by HuangLao »

I generally stick with whatever the LTS or standard kernel is for the distro.

Nili

#16 Post by Nili »

bester69 wrote:But 3.16 its kind of prehistoric kernel, why dont you guys just update..?, new kernel boots up performance file system and firmware graphics among others.

I suppose you must have computer from before 2000's, if not i dont understand why you are so obssesed with solid rock stability, if you were NASA i would understand...
Everybody have they different reasons
my 2cents...
1) I like LTS Kernel

2) For my desktop there is nothing new. Every bug fixing or security updates are to this kernel version 3.16.
My desktop is from 2007 using SATA which boots in 8.8sec and using 25MB RAM on X and 31MB on WM.

I use specific apps made by independent devs that using Debian Packages. There is nothing new on a new kernel for old horse, it is simply too old that requires old energy to adapt well.
If i could use kernel 3.2 serie i'll hold even on this version that is more faster lightweight kernel and very robust.

If i had a new machine from 2012 and so on then i will use bloated Kernel, bloated DE and bloated Apps.
Therefore, not surprisingly, people have their specific reasons for selecting old versions, not because they are not aware of new things.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#17 Post by arochester »

WHY does it matter?

Edward De Bono had a thinking exercise he called PMI. Given a situation people had to write down all the Pluses, all the Minuses and all the Interesting points (that were neither Pluses or Minuses) about that situation.

If you use Kernel A, B or C what are the PMIs of that Kernel.

What is a Plus about using that Kernel, what is a Minus about using that Kernel and what is Interesting about that Kernel.

What makes the Kernel you use significant, better that other Kernels? Or are they, for day-to-day use more or less the same?

Innovate

#18 Post by Innovate »

bester69 wrote:
But 3.16 its kind of prehistoric kernel, why dont you guys just update..?, new kernel boots up performance file system and firmware graphics among others.

Dude, What are you babbling about? Are you drunk? :lol:
There's no rule for me for not to agree with someone else that using 3.16 Even I use 4.x.x kernel series.

Even I've mate-desktop 1.15.0 the latest version on Jessie.
Which isn't supposed to be exist on Debian repo. :mrgreen:
https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... words=mate

How about you quote someone else 3.16 argument above me? There're many in here. 8)

pendrachken

#19 Post by pendrachken »

One of my old VMs that almost never gets fired up anymore:

I'd let people guess what it was, but the hostname gives it away....

uname -srmn

Linux sargebox 2.4.27-3-386 i686

And my Jessie Cinnamon VM

Linux debianvm 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Linadian

#20 Post by Linadian »

The 4.x series kernels don't like my Radeon R7 250 graphics card, they make the vid card fan race, probably because it produces an error and makes my graphics chip run in circles like a chicken with it's head cut off. I STILL don't use systemd, I'm running PCLOS MATE (kernel 3.18.x, for as long as Bill feels like supporting it, he gets bored and starts supporting newer kernels, essentially abandoning older kernels, even though they've been officially patched by kernel devs, he's a bit of a 8==D like that), Ubuntu Xfce 14.04.x (despywared with upstart, Canonical maintained kernel 3.13.x) and last but not least, Devuan Xfce 1.0 (kernel 3.16.x). I've tried higher kernels across ALL of these installed distros, same $#1+, diff distro, so my inner Sherlock says it's the newer bloated, over engineered and systemd infested garbage kernels. I miss the good ol' K.I.S.S. days. :(

Will post the kernel 4.x error after temp installing a newer kernel, stay tuned for an edit to this post.

Edit as promised: Kernel 4.7.4 in PCLOS error...

Linux Registered User 533946