What kernel do you use

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby stevepusser » 2017-12-02 19:30

bester69 wrote:I think this must be a some kind of ability similar /analogous to wine testing, I really got it. :P , You think, if i werent able to feel it i would have some incertitude about which ones is performing better....Its just i find it a curious thing-


Hmmm...it's fitting that you picked wine tasting, since that's also been shown to be mostly BS via blinded tests. Dowsers also fool themselves into thinking they have some amazing power, yet fail every scientific test, notably ones where they agreed to every condition beforehand, then try and make excuses afterwards. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... find-pipes
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Cinnamon 3.8, Midori 6.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 10141
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-17 02:45

I've been playing arround with Liquorix Kernel, and you guys, what have been using now days? Stock? Own Kernel?

https://liquorix.net/
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-17 07:55

The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.
steve_v
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 2012-10-06 05:31
Location: New Zealand

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-17 12:13

steve_v wrote:The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.

Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-18 03:07

Capitain_Jack wrote:Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.

If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.
steve_v
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 2012-10-06 05:31
Location: New Zealand

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-18 10:18

steve_v wrote:If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.

Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-19 05:02

Capitain_Jack wrote:Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Okay then, I play videos, occasionally edit audio (less of the playing, as I have an MPD server elsewhere), and edit images every now and then.
I even installed the Liquorix kernel yesterday to see if anything had changed... And I still see no difference.
No subjective "feels" that seem to be all the rage here, and no measurable performance difference in 3 games + Blender (Blenchmark). Identical framerates.
Dunno man, The Debian kernel seems just fine to me.
steve_v
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 2012-10-06 05:31
Location: New Zealand

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-12-19 06:34

Code: Select all
empty@Puffy:~ $ uname -a
OpenBSD Puffy.lan 6.2 GENERIC.MP#298 amd64
empty@Puffy:~ $

Works better on this ThinkPad X201 than any Linux kernel I've ever tried :mrgreen:
I suffer from depression and may lash out occasionally, try not to take it personally.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8190
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-19 09:12

steve_v wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Okay then, I play videos, occasionally edit audio (less of the playing, as I have an MPD server elsewhere), and edit images every now and then.
I even installed the Liquorix kernel yesterday to see if anything had changed... And I still see no difference.
No subjective "feels" that seem to be all the rage here, and no measurable performance difference in 3 games + Blender (Blenchmark). Identical framerates.
Dunno man, The Debian kernel seems just fine to me.

Do a video render test, it is where I see most difference. Also when creating music with Reason 5 (trough wine) or any other hard professional audio recording/editing software.

This is a more comprehensive text talking about the differences:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... TimeKernel

Also here for detail into real time computing:
"...Real-time computing is sometimes misunderstood to be high-performance computing, but this is not an accurate classification....Therefore, the most important requirement of a real-time system is predictability and not performance..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_computing
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-20 11:36

Capitain_Jack wrote:This is a more comprehensive text talking about the differences:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... TimeKernel

Also here for detail into real time computing:
"...Real-time computing is sometimes misunderstood to be high-performance computing, but this is not an accurate classification....Therefore, the most important requirement of a real-time system is predictability and not performance..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_computing

Liquorix is not a real time kernel, so what does this have to do with anything?
steve_v
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 2012-10-06 05:31
Location: New Zealand

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-20 11:43

steve_v wrote:Liquorix is not a real time kernel, so what does this have to do with anything?

Ok, I see you need to see "the insides" to understand fully, take a read here:
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2499.html
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-20 12:18

Capitain_Jack wrote:Ok, I see you need to see "the insides" to understand fully, take a read here

Nope, still no mention of realtime patches there. Yes, Liquorix tweaks the scheduler, but it's not a realtime kernel.
As for "insides", I'll take real patch notes over a random techpatterns forum post anyday, much less the links to reddit. :roll:

Believe it or not, I have a fairly good idea what the patches Liquorix includes do. I've patched, tweaked, and mucked about with custom kernels plenty in the past.
Now I don't bother, because the Debian build is just fine for desktop use. If I was doing pro-audio work where predictable latency is critical, I might use the realtime patches.
If I could detect a performance gain from the Liquorix patches with any workload I care about, I'd use that too.
steve_v
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 2012-10-06 05:31
Location: New Zealand

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-20 12:31

steve_v wrote:Nope, still no mention of realtime patches there.

I never said it is a real time kernel, but here the part of the text where he mention it's aiming a real time sytem:
Enables NOCB for all CPUs, increasing RCU overhead
Per the options in the kernel configuration, this increases overhead but reduces OS jitter and is more appropriate for a real-time system (what we're aiming for here, a better experience).

https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2499.html

steve_v wrote: If I was doing pro-audio work where predictable latency is critical, I might use the realtime patches.
If I could detect a performance gain from the Liquorix patches with any workload I care about, I'd use that too.


That's why I use it. This is a good discussion, we should and could open a new post, what do you say? have more or less the same conversation? Would you start this one? :D
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby anticapitalista » 2017-12-20 16:09

Code: Select all
 uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.8-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 15:19:11 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

antiX "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org
anticapitalista
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 2007-12-14 23:16

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-20 16:36

anticapitalista wrote:
Code: Select all
 uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.8-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 15:19:11 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux


That's a good one for old hardware, keeps it updated and very very light one.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha
User avatar
Capitain_Jack
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 2017-12-15 12:07
Location: Brazil capital, Brasilia, At the favela.

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable