What kernel do you use

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What kernel do you use

Postby stevepusser » 2017-12-02 19:30

bester69 wrote:I think this must be a some kind of ability similar /analogous to wine testing, I really got it. :P , You think, if i werent able to feel it i would have some incertitude about which ones is performing better....Its just i find it a curious thing-

Hmmm...it's fitting that you picked wine tasting, since that's also been shown to be mostly BS via blinded tests. Dowsers also fool themselves into thinking they have some amazing power, yet fail every scientific test, notably ones where they agreed to every condition beforehand, then try and make excuses afterwards. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... find-pipes
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.2, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0.2, QMPlay2 17.12.12
stevepusser

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-17 02:45

I've been playing arround with Liquorix Kernel, and you guys, what have been using now days? Stock? Own Kernel?

https://liquorix.net/
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
Capitain_Jack

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-17 07:55

The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.
steve_v

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-17 12:13

steve_v wrote:The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.

Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.
Albert Einstein
Capitain_Jack

Postby steve_v » 2017-12-18 03:07

Capitain_Jack wrote:Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.

If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.
steve_v

Postby Capitain_Jack » 2017-12-18 10:18

steve_v wrote:If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.

Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Albert Einstein
Capitain_Jack

Previous

Return to Offtopic