Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch + Kde5 (its ready!!)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Swansen

Re: Stretch + Kde5 (its ready!!)

#16 Post by Swansen »

in jessie KDE4 is only available. However, i am writing this now from Debian testing, a fresh install with KDE5 and its working really well. think that was 3 months ago? was totally borked for me but its working great right now.

Maui linux which is based on Neon was 440mb at idle for me(both are on Ubuntu LTS). i'm seeing 550mb right now on KDE. KDE5 is not what kde use to be in the past, its perfectly capable of being slim and sleek(which was like a goal towards the end of 3.5 but finally has been delivered upon). just for comparison, LXQT was using 350mb at idle(however, i realize ram usage is not necessarily a perfect measure of performance, CPU load/utilization etc.)

Anywho, point in posting is that everything seems stable enough to me at this point for actual daily use(did run into a bug where the system setting kept crashing). I'm considering installing LXQT again just because it was so slim, but as of writing right now its late, about to call it a night and probably won't jump into that for fear of breaking stuff. anywho, thought i'd update this.

---edit
LXQT is the only other native QT windower(well, with canonical changing unity to QT, that will change things..). Anyhow, LXQT is like a stripped down lightweight version of KDE(essentially, and is capable of using kwin) that will work natively with all kde apps(QT apps, ie dolphin). Its still pretty early in development so its a little rough with regards to certain features, but i'd put it at or above the stability of KDE5 in testing currently. Comparatively however, KDE is a much larger project, is more complex and has more code to go over. So i guess its to be expected given these early stages.