Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Comparing and Talking about distros

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Comparing and Talking about distros

#1 Post by bester69 »

See this,..
openSUSE Leap is meant to be a mature and stable release, something similar to Debian. It’s based on SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) so there is no ‘scope’ for instability; it runs in mission critical environments. As a result, Leap may not always have the 'latest' packages.

However unlike Debian Stable it's not frozen in time. It uses the latest 'stable' packages. In most cases you will find the latest packages for Leap. If you are looking at DEs you will get Gnome 3.16.2, Plasma 5.4.2, Mate 1.10, XFCE 4.12.1 with Leap 42.1.
The file system is something that gives +1 over Debian, the fact they are willing to use BTRFS is a brilliant choice for progress, a file system I am particually excited for mostly because of its snapshotting ability, I would personally find this a superb tool for when things break, run it just before a major upgrade and you should be safe and a brilliant addition to any Linux environment where disaster recovery is essential.
Im thinking of testing Leap, i think that must be a great distro, As solid as debian and with closer software to latest... :)

What do you think, Jessie or Leap??
Last edited by bester69 on 2016-09-13 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

Re: Comparing and Talking about distros

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What makes you think those are the latest GNOME and Mate releases?
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:What makes you think those are the latest GNOME and Mate releases?
Sorry, i meanted more close to latest
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Re: btrfs

I have been using btrfs with Debian for over a year with no problems, it works great.

The openSUSE management tool is also available in Debian:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/snapper

My main concern with the Chameleon Crowd is their submission in the Novell patent bullshit :x

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -20070128/

EDIT: also, it is common knowledge that GNOME releases get worse over time so jessie's 3.14 is better than SUSE's 3.16...
:mrgreen:
deadbang

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

bester69 wrote:
Im thinking of testing Leap, i think that must be a great distro, As solid as debian and with closer software to latest... :)

Looks like I already stated my opinion on this matter.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 99#p623706
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

Ardouos wrote:
bester69 wrote:

Looks like I already stated my opinion on this matter.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 99#p623706
yeah, you did! :wink:

JLloyd13

#7 Post by JLloyd13 »

It's extremely easy to use btrfs with Debian. It's not the default, but literally all you need to do it hit the 'down' key a few times to select it at install. On top of that, it's actually possible to convert an ext4 installation to btrfs, so I really fail to see how using btrfs by default is really all that much of an advantage other than for a completely uneducated user who doesn't know the difference (and then will probably not be using features like snapshots).

As for more up to date packages, ones that can be updated with out threatening the base system or breaking/pulling in too many dependences are generally found in Debian backports. Anything really beyond what would normally be in backports will introduce some level of lessened stability. You can debate how much and whether that small amount is relevant and that's just opinion/belief but there are good reasons the general freeze of anything that isn't bug/security fix exists. I'm not saying that Debian's way of doing things is necessarily better for a specific work case, but the idea that SUSE's way is inherently better (as the quote in the OP doesn't say but IMO implies) is flawed. There's no 'as solid as Debian with more up to date packages'. Being more 'up to date' naturally involves some compromise, however small.

In any case, if you plan to just snapshot all the time and roll back if you hit an issue and are ok with that you might as well use testing or sid.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.