Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems at Gentoo Linux?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
garrincha

Problems at Gentoo Linux?

#1 Post by garrincha »

I read this fascinating article on DistroWatch site regarding the managerial/structural problem within the Gentoo Linux developers community, the article drew comparison between Gentoo Linux's community and Debian's community and the lack of proper clause in Gentoo's social contract. I'm only just getting myself familiarised with the different aspects of linux community.

The article is here:
This highlights the complete ineffectiveness of the current power structures at Gentoo Linux. If a person who repeatedly engages in personal attacks against other developers is permitted to remain with the project, then there is something wrong with the way the distribution is managed. Yes, disagreeing with other developers on organisational and technical matters is perfectly fine; launching personal attacks against anybody who has a different idea is not. We see an awful lot of disagreements on the Debian developers' mailing lists as well, but rarely, if ever, we see such staunch personal attacks as we've been seeing on the Gentoo developers' mailing lists.

Talking about Debian, it's worth noting another interesting point. While the Gentoo social contract was loosely modelled on the one written by Debian, the more observant among the readers will notice the lack of any outward statements that would define the goals and priorities of the Gentoo distribution. As an example, the point 4 of the Debian Social Contract clearly states that: "We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software community. We will place their interests first in our priorities." In contrast, Gentoo has no such clause anywhere in its Gentoo Social Contract and the word "user" is hardly ever mentioned.
Whoops, that's hard one to swallow:
...the last few years Gentoo Linux has degenerated into a loose structure that is increasingly run by a small, power-hungry clique that resents any attempt to change the current status quo.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

First, a Civil Service law masked in the lie
that it was the only way to correct demagogic
excesses and spoils systems. Then the accumulation
of power in places voters could not touch.
And finally, aristocracy.

Quote from Dune 4; God-Emperor of Dune
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

garrincha

#3 Post by garrincha »

Grifter wrote:First, a Civil Service law masked in the lie
that it was the only way to correct demagogic
excesses and spoils systems. Then the accumulation
of power in places voters could not touch.
And finally, aristocracy.

Quote from Dune 4; God-Emperor of Dune
lol...Unfortunately, I do not play any PC based game not even an xbox/playstation console type game. These days I'm grandfather in gamer lexicon. The flame warriors on Gentoo (and other developers distro) seems to be familiar old friends in computing community. Nice to know that, the tradition is still alive and well.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Grifter

#4 Post by Grifter »

Um.. it's a book... you know, semi-thick collections of paper with printed words on them? Meant to be read? No?

Sigh, you young'uns have no sense of history (:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

garrincha

#5 Post by garrincha »

Grifter wrote:Um.. it's a book... you know, semi-thick collections of paper with printed words on them? Meant to be read? No?

Sigh, you young'uns have no sense of history (:
Whoops! Didn't realised that you were referring to the Dune novels. Sorry about it and for my unfamiliarity with it! :)

Cedric

#6 Post by Cedric »

While things may look bad for Gentoo right now, I don't think they'll go down that easily.
They have a huge community, and I think that at the very last at least someone would fork it.

garrincha

#8 Post by garrincha »

Janice (from Friends): Oh....My....God!

I just read some of the articles in the links that you posted. Phew, and really funny indeed about devel picking their nose.

While I believe that Gentoo is a good distro, I think that because it is too specific and ambitious (compared with debian) and that the core problem is the lack of truly good leadership, much in the similar manner as how Gate is to Microsoft, Jobs to Apple, Torvalds to Linux and Stallman to FSF.

dmn_clown

#9 Post by dmn_clown »

Is this any different than the articles that predict Debian's demise?

Please, Gentoo is a fine distribution and I've found their documentation to be top notch, let's not FUD them or their hard working developers.

ghostdawg

#10 Post by ghostdawg »

I prefer Sourcemage anyway!!!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#11 Post by Lavene »

Things are bad... where, oh where will it end?

Debian is screwed because it never seem to be able to release anything.
SuSe is doomed because of the Novel/Ms thing
Gentoo is dying because of developer fights

Of course all distros derived from the above will disappear too...
The end is near and I know it's true... cause I read it on distrowatch!

Tina ;)

Pobega

#12 Post by Pobega »

Lavene wrote:Things are bad... where, oh where will it end?

Tina ;)
The end is near, and then next thing we know the only distribution left will be Ubuntu! Onoes!
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

AgenT

#13 Post by AgenT »

Pobega wrote:
Lavene wrote:Things are bad... where, oh where will it end?

Tina ;)
The end is near, and then next thing we know the only distribution left will be Ubuntu! Onoes!
Of course, if Debian dies, Ubuntu will die too. I think we all should just switch to The Evil Empire right now and be spared!

Distrowatch may be a decent money contributor to FOSS, but their content is horrible.

hcgtv

#14 Post by hcgtv »

AgenT wrote:Distrowatch may be a decent money contributor to FOSS, but their content is horrible.
Distrowatch is just reporting what it sees.

I follow many Open Source projects, if I started posting on my sites about the internal issues of said projects, then I'd get people wondering about their health also.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

ghostdawg

#15 Post by ghostdawg »

Well, it seems by most stats, there are 5 distros that have stood the test of time so far. These seems to stay in the Top 10.

Debian (Debian is Debian)
Slackware (Slackware is Slackware)
RedHat (Fedora)
SuSe (OpenSuSe)
Mandriva (Mandrake)

And I would say of that five, Debian and Slackware are the best of the bunch. Maybe the best of all distros!

Optional

#16 Post by Optional »

Debian and Debian-derived OSes hold the majority of desktop Linux marketshare... (I saw it at 42% in an article a while back)

There's probably a good reason why. :lol:

*strokes Debian developers*

Pobega

#17 Post by Pobega »

Although it's a pretty big hit to lose a few developers, Gentoo will survive.

I've been thinking of trying and maybe going to Gentoo since source seems more powerful, but after reading this (And the instability of Gentoo's repositories) I definitely won't be switching/trying it.

ghostdawg

#18 Post by ghostdawg »

If you want to try a source based distro, give www.sourcemage.org a try...alot less hassles than gentoo, IMHO!

dmn_clown

#19 Post by dmn_clown »

I remember sourcemage... I also remember frying an intel cpu with it. Old laptops with poor airflow and source based distros do not mix. :lol:

thamarok

#20 Post by thamarok »

Get a Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu CPU cooler!
I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo with an overclocking profile of 35% and I get a very noticeable increase in performance, and best of all: The heat went on maximum just to 53C when I played Need for Speed Most Wanted in Cedega..

Be sure to check out Fan Mate.. it's a small device with that you can control the fan speed. Very handy!