Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When stop upgrading the kernel?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

When stop upgrading the kernel?

#1 Post by bester69 »

How do we know one kernel suit best to our computer?,

Id like to know when i must stop upgrading the kernels, because that last version kernel gets into obsolescence gap?, Is there any way to know this, and stuck with the last best kernel to suit our computer in performance terms?

The target is to get the most optimal performance without getting into obsolescence..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

Re: When stop upgrading the kernel?

#2 Post by edbarx »

After I filed a bug against i915, Freedesktop replied that kernel 3.16 is TOO OLD and decided the bug report is INVALID. So, like an idiot, I am compiling the vanilla kernel version 4.7 as they insisted. Hopefully, the damned i915 driver works as intended without causing pipe underruns and visual glitches.

On Devuan mailing list, although that list is not for support, I was instructed to file a bug report, obviously after seeking other solutions. However, I have been struggling for more than a week to make the eternally damned i915 driver work as it is supposed to. Searching for bug reports against i915 gave me the shivers: there are too many annoying bugs.

I followed the general advice that Intel GPUs work out of the box, but it seems, in my case, they absolutely are a nightmare! The same damned driver failed to turn on the backlight of the other laptop for a WHOLE YEAR. :? :shock:
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

When the regressions make life intolerable and you can't be bothered bisecting the bugs and/or reporting them anymore.

Be sure to switch to an active Long Term Support branch though or your system will be pwned...
deadbang

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

Im telling this, cos im not sure what kernel performance better in my computer,

im among 4.6,4.7 or 4.8, id like to know in which kernel i should stop if i dont want to degrade performance., next LTS is planning to be 4.10 in Stretch, I have the feeling my old computer ends its life with Stretch.., we'll see.

There was long time all Internet browses came into obsolescence gap in my 2008 laptop, i solved this in Jessie by fixing at Chromium 35 version, but noe in testing i wasnt able to getting to work Chrom.35, so i loss some performance by moving to Chromium 48.

So i keep upgrading Chrome and Firefox(for security uses) and use old chromium version as regular browser (for performing use)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

*Do not* use outdated browsers or kernel versions, they will contain serious known vulnerabilities.
deadbang

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:After I filed a bug against i915, Freedesktop replied that kernel 3.16 is TOO OLD and decided the bug report is INVALID. So, like an idiot, I am compiling the vanilla kernel version 4.7 as they insisted. Hopefully, the damned i915 driver works as intended without causing pipe underruns and visual glitches.

On Devuan mailing list, although that list is not for support, I was instructed to file a bug report, obviously after seeking other solutions. However, I have been struggling for more than a week to make the eternally damned i915 driver work as it is supposed to. Searching for bug reports against i915 gave me the shivers: there are too many annoying bugs.

I followed the general advice that Intel GPUs work out of the box, but it seems, in my case, they absolutely are a nightmare! The same damned driver failed to turn on the backlight of the other laptop for a WHOLE YEAR. :? :shock:
I saw in ubuntu's kernels web, there are some kernels compiling for working propertly with intel, you should at lest give it a try, you dont need to compile them, you can installed directly ans see how it goes.:

I dont know what is one for?, but i think one of them or both, might get your problem solved
drm-intel-nightly
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... y/current/
drm-intel-next
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... t/current/

I tried them, but i didnt feel any improvement, now im enjoing FLOATING-TEXTURES by compiling Mesa 12.0.2 (by setting Flag enabled), you should try FLOATING-TEXTURES is great the visual difference, and i doesnt degrade performance

Innovate

#7 Post by Innovate »

Why do need to stop? Linux is about explore & research.
You've walk path this far & now you gonna stop what's the point of this quest?
Give up easily on Linux world is something that windows users would do. 8)
Although I agreed about 3.16 & 4.4.18 lts stabilities doesn't mean I stop compiling any new kernels.
Once find the bugless ones as 3.16 just keep that one. If you just tired just take a break.
If you want to stop you shouldn't compile the kernel in the first place.
Remember what your goal truly are don't just sway from something trivial.
If you feel you're walking the wrong path just switch the roads you don't need to stop or walk back to the start point.
Just move forward there're many bench for you to sit. There's no end of the road
when it comes to research unless you pave the end of your own path.

It's nothing wrong for you to compile new stuffs that you want. Just don't be a level of shiny stuffs syndrome.
There's gap difference between alchemist & shiny stuffs maniac.