Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nextcloud: Experiences and advice

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bagstone

Nextcloud: Experiences and advice

#1 Post by bagstone »

Hello,

I have a Debian server for mail and other things, and as I've been using my server for email for years already (and just forward GMail) I thought a next step could be to also get rid of the other Google services (Docs, Calendar, Contacts). For that purpose at first I thought about using owncloud - but seeing that they're moving more and more into an enterprise solution and my key sought-after features (Calendar+Contacts and multi-platform support) I'm rather looking at Nextcloud.

Now, I've read up a bit on the history of Owncloud packages and all the drama, and the nextcloud devs also stressed they have no plans to actively maintain packages for any distribution.

So I'm wondering... should I wait for someone to create a Debian backport repository or just install it manually? I've found this git repo, but it looks like it requires php7 (I've got 5.6 from Debian Jessie and no intention to backport to 7) and also found some tweets saying this doesn't work. I wonder what the pro's/con's of a manual install are and what the community suggests.

Also, how close do nextcloud's calendar+contact features get me to saying goodbye to Google? Is it fairly well-developed or still has the beta feel to it (I remember trying owncloud a few years back and it felt super clunky and just not ready for everyday use)?

Thanks!

dasein

Re: Nextcloud: Experiences and advice

#2 Post by dasein »

Not even remotely a Debian question. Belongs in Offtopic

bagstone

Re: Nextcloud: Experiences and advice

#3 Post by bagstone »

Sorry, I thought it is about Debian because I was looking specifically for *Debian* install advice for nextcloud. But anyways, if this belongs in offtopic than I'm sorry and maybe a mod can just move this to offtopic. Nonetheless, still looking for answers :/