Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Regarding udev and Daredevil

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
n_hologram

Regarding udev and Daredevil

#1 Post by n_hologram »

Ridiculous as this topic might sound, I have a geniune question regarding udev -- and it's based on the pilot of the Daredevil show.

In this episode, Karen is wanted by "the crime syndicate" because she made a backup of a file on a USB drive, and they wanted her alive to get this before they made the decision to have her assassinated.

DIsregarding "Hollywood Magic", this makes me consider two questions.

1) Since udev can detect USB devices, would it be objectively reasonable for a company to set-up a daemon for all its computers that would detect the insertion/removal of a flash drive?

2) [optional, but equally valid] On a non-Linux machine, would this same concept be reasonable?

Answers to either -- or both -- are appreciated.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

GarryRicketson

Re: Regarding udev and Daredevil

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

It is not entirely "unreasonable", one example, My friend whom runs
a fairly large "internet cafe", it is all "windows" machines, he does have
them setup in a way that, "blocks" any usb device, it gives the user a notice,
" Please take the usb device to the service desk, and they will
activate usb access for you"
The user first , must let the "clerk", check the usb device, if it is
clean and has not virus,etc,..then they activate the usb access for that particular
machine.
I could see how a company that has a lot of sensitive data on the machines
might need to and want to control and monitor any use of usb sticks/and other
devices.
The same on a linux machine, in some situations I can see how it
might be necessary or desirable to have some control over that, and
be able to monitor what the users do with their usb devices, and it is
possible.
In Monterey, Mx, the U.S consulate has a security system/ guards, and they
deactivate any mobile phones or devices , before you are allowed to enter,..
And if you happen to have a laptop with you, like I did, they will not even let
you enter, .. that happened to me,...
I don't know, but it seems to me like probably the people working in the
offices there, or any government offices, should not be able to just "plug in" a
device, and then maybe download X# Gb, of data with all the data on who knows
how many people,... I would hope they have some kind of control over who, and how the data can be accessed or copied.

edbarx

#3 Post by edbarx »

2) [optional, but equally valid] On a non-Linux machine, would this same concept be reasonable?
On Windows it is usually a matter of changing a registry key if the changes are done locally on the computer concerned. However, remote administration should be the preferred method so that users would not know the procedure.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

tomazzi

#4 Post by tomazzi »

The only way to totally block the possibility of breaking into the PC trough USB is to ... disable all the USB hubs.
Specially crafted USB devices can be used to attack the OS (and steal the data) independently of what permissions are set for the user, because those kinds of attack are targeted at USB drivers/firmware (i.e. kernel space)

Use PS/2 keyboards/mouse :)

And about the Daredevil: I think that Holywood made many far more stupider movies, like f.e. the IronMan - no kind of metal armor can protect from internal injuries - but who cares when that useless gadget looks so cool ;)

... besides (as everyone should know) red cars are faster :lol:
Odi profanum vulgus