Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Now i prefer Testing

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Now i prefer Testing

#1 Post by bester69 »

Recently, i moved on to stretch+kde5 and the experience has been great, KDE5 feels more robust than KDE4 in some points, graphics drivres/experience is much better now, screen stopped blinking, and the rest of apps seems to work same as good as stable, with the advantage i enjoy more up to date software.

I also like to see the system keeping updating every day, at the same time knowing everyday pass by the system gets more stable and pore polish.

I'd say as a regular user, i'd recommend move to testing in around six months from base point development. Before that period i wouldnt do it, it might be some buggy.

Im enjoying KDE5 Strecth :) , you dont need to keep waiting for strech launching, Strecth its pretty ready!
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Bulkley

Re: Now i prefer Testing

#2 Post by Bulkley »

The Stretch on my desktop has been very well behaved. There were some startup issues with it last year but they were quickly sorted, out either by me or package fixes.

I don't recommend Testing to newbies for the often stated reasons.

Innovate

#3 Post by Innovate »

Windows Insider is more buggy than Debian Sid & Testing.
You can't even install chrome extensions on 14931-14942 build it's gonna freeze. :lol:
I used to survive on Testing & Sid like nothing happen.
But Stable I'm more feel challenging to turn lead into golds.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

Right now it would be especially important for all you testing users to actually "test" the system and write reports about anything that you possibly find.

I wonder how long it will be before Bester finds the soon to be frozen testing "boring".

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thanks for testing the next release bester!
:)

Just to note, stretch is due to freeze in February next year and will transition to stable about six months later:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00002.html
deadbang

Nili

#6 Post by Nili »

When I installed (jessie-stable) year ago, i got only 95 packages. I may had passed on testing or sid within 2min. I didn't because i wanted to check Vanilla Debian stable.
Since (jessie) went to light i enjoyed the peaceful tranquility along all updates from 8.0 to 8.6.

I never used testing on Vanilla Debian. I was a testing user on #! now BunsenLabs. I used testing on my daily system that i did everything from browsering, sharing 24/7 and sticks uptime for month.
Testing is fun. Along the way of testing we learn many things, we find bugs and report them to be fixed on the next stable release. Yes testing is FUN!
I also liked to get new packages version as soon as possible.

Moslty i fixed concerns with personal intervention or seeking assistance on the #!/BunsenLabs forum.
Bulkley wrote:I don't recommend Testing to newbies for the often stated reasons.
This is very valuable advice

I think testing requires enough experience to control your OS. Therefore, caution signed, read often transitions page, and do not forget to install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges.
Needs more care during each updates/upgrade & dist-upgrade on testing since the updates they are frequent. I remember did updates every morning around 09:00AM CET

Sometimes also makes good to read siduction upgrade Warning forum. These guys are the vanguards of expected changes.

Bear it in mind, we are responsible for our system on test/sid.

Best Regards,
Nili
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

bester69 wrote:Recently, i moved on to stretch+kde5 and the experience has been great, KDE5 feels more robust than KDE4 in some points, graphics drivres/experience is much better now, screen stopped blinking, and the rest of apps seems to work same as good as stable, with the advantage i enjoy more up to date software.
Great to see you move to testing, I always thought of you as a "testing/ unstable" user due to your common practices (bug reports would be good too!).
bester69 wrote: I'd say as a regular user, i'd recommend move to testing in around six months from base point development. Before that period i wouldnt do it, it might be some buggy.
Becareful when testing comes to the freeze, apparently developers start to rush their software in and it could get quite buggy. It does get much better during the freeze though.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

gradinaruvasile

#8 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Well testing in all its phases can be a bit finicky.
At first, because every new package comes in a rush, later because subsystems are swapped out, new libraries adopted which can have unforeseen consequences somewhere down the pipe etc.
It does indeed need some level of proficiency with the repository system and occasionally needs packages from unstable/experimental that contain fixes for stuff that did not reach Testing yet.
Do NOT rely on anything that happened before because the repository system is in a constant flux and because of its interdependencies you might have problems where you do not expect.
Just for example Mate transitioned to a new gtk3 recently, which broke Mate's file manager caja, then they quickly pushed a new version of Mate that currently has a half broken screensaver (and some programs like spice viewers do not work if not scaled etc). Just a normal day in office for Testing...