Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why cant we've something like Android?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

#1 Post by bester69 »

I,ve realised how impressive is Android systems, Its robust, smooths and pretty nice and well designed, I dont stop installing apps, and you feel you're going to get infeccted with malware or some rootkit eventually, and it doesnt happend (i can confirm linux is free of any virus type), Android seems well proteceted, i've not even been able to root it up to date, looking some hack on internet.

But What im talking about, is That I wish we could have all kind of thousands of apps from Android in our beloved linux debian available..
And the most important thing, I wish KDE or Ubuntu (unity) were so clean, robust and well designerd as Adroid DE, I think Android has become equivalent of whar MacOS become, but with Smartphones.

Resuming, I wish linux DE had become what Android has done, and DE such as KDE or unity where that thing equivalnet, take a look at what i meant:

Remix OS, look like nowdays What KDE and unity and the whole apps repository shoud have been (A DE clean, nice, robust and well designed, free of crashes and bugs):--> Definitly the perfect linux Desktop :o
http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

Last edited by bester69 on 2016-11-07 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

GarryRicketson

Re: Why cant we've something like Android?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

If Debian or linux gets to the point that it looks like that,
I will definitely be looking for a better OS.
Where is the command prompt ?
It has lots of ugly images, but what use are they ?
Looks like something Microsoft would come up with.
Thanks but no thanks
,.... No problem though , if that is what you like,
enjoy it.

RU55EL

#3 Post by RU55EL »

bester69 wrote:...(A DE clean, nice, robust and well designed, free of crashes and bugs):--> Definitly the perfect linux Desktop :o...
Sounds like Gnome to me...

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

every post you have posted on this forum is about how something "feels" better or faster or some other form of fetish over "desireasble" properties and the endless tweaking of looks and other superficial properties of computers. that's ok in itself, but surely you must realize that people are different and that for some people stuff like that is just noise and using a lot of time on that makes then just feel bad about them selves. i bet that now popular "clear" look will be "out" in two years.

why do people put up with this kind of crap. practically every statement in your post is wrong. no, it is not impossible to get malware on debian nor android. no, android id not crash free. etc etc.

EDIT: this post may sounded a bit too harsh but I just think that even as we should be polite we should have the right to be upset about people spreading misinformation.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

If you have used Android anytime, you will understand the point of this post.

I think if you think of it carefully it has make a lot of sense, becouse Android is a Great Comercial Product (first Smarttphone product in my opionion), There is millons of euros behind this system, enought to make it feel perfect, to make it feel nice; every dateil, thousands of hours of testing searching for any possibles bugs, i supppose Andorid such as Osx has long beyong from what open community can achieve, mainly because the ammonunt of hours of proffesionals developers behind them.

but, hey!!, I wish open source community products such as Ubuntu gets soon to that point eventually.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

I use android almost daily. What you say is true that they have put a lot of money in the "feeling" aspect of it and they have used research from cognitive sciences etc to really make the interface intuitive and interact well with human brains. And I admit that that is not entirely unimportant.

But... I feel that while the superficial aspect is important, it still is not of primary importance. Many important and good "products" (books, code, designs, etc) have been created with computers and even typewriters where the user interface is very simple in this limited "feel nice" sense. You say android "feels good". Well what if I need an operating system that is good? Is, in the sense that it can be made to do whatever I want. Not like android where I don't even have root. Actually that it "feels good" might even be a distraction... giving the user a false sense of doing something worth doing when it is not.

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote:I use android almost daily. What you say is true that they have put a lot of money in the "feeling" aspect of it and they have used research from cognitive sciences etc to really make the interface intuitive and interact well with human brains. And I admit that that is not entirely unimportant.
I think this is what keep away many people who comes from Windows or Osx, and doesnt understand why many things crashes in linux from time to time, or why the desktop experience looks feels some poor. Many apps from repositoires just doesnt work propertly out of the box without some litle fixing, that thing doesnt happend in Android, Windows or osx.

Im using Stretch debian with kde5 and before that, i used Jessie +kde4, and many times (eventually) i have to kill by console some apps like chromium/ kodi, etc, becouse they get freeze, or they leave some process in background. Even sometime i finish with the all problem by just restarting de plasma-desktop. I doesnt bother to do this cos i can do it, but imagine a newbie user, Of course, this problem gets resolved in open source backed with Comercial Companies like Google.

tomazzi

#8 Post by tomazzi »

bester69 wrote:I think this is what keep away many people who comes from Windows or Osx
It's not true that every kind of environment suits well for everyone, i.e. - You have to decide about what direction You're going to take.
bester69 wrote: (...) and doesnt understand why many things crashes in linux from time to time
Please - it's You who are refusing to follow even a basic guidelines -> linux stable distros are just stable as hell - unless You'll intentionally break it - and You did it, for many times - like mixing Debian and Ubuntu's PPA's and repositories - so please...

Few words about Android:
Android apps are running in a sandbox created by Dalvik (Java) - essentially, this is not much different from using VirtualBox for running every application on a Linux system - You can crash them as many times You want, without damaging the system - but that doesn't mean that Your system is stable.

This kind of "stability" or "safety" comes at a cost: Your 4-core 1.6GHz CPU eats a lot of power and battery life, working with an effective speed of a single-core 800MHz CPU - because Dalvik/Java is so slooow.

Moreover, Your now-yet-shining device will become obsolete/outdated in max 2 years, because new applcations will require newer OS, which in turn will require more physical memory, which cannot be upgraded - and so on, and so on... - buy a new device ...

Another aspect is privacy - but I'm not going to waste my time on discussing it right now - this is a *big* topic - so I'm only going to say that today, the problem is not with "old-fashioned" viruses - but with the constantly violated right for privacy.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

bester69 wrote: I think this is what keep away many people who comes from Windows or Osx, -----snip------------
And then :
by tomazzi » It's not true that every kind of environment suits well for everyone, i.e. - You have to decide about what direction You're going to take.
Exactly right and the kind of "environment" shown in the screen shot
is exactly what keeps me away from things like Ms Windows, MS products,GNOME, and the rest,
My cell phone does have "android", I do not like it, but it does not
matter, I don't use it that much, and I don't try to use it like a OS or
PC,
As far as the "crashes" go, this is the main reason I never did, and
still don't use the MS stuff, it all ways crashes and burns, Using Debian
as it was, I do not have this problem, it is secure and reliable,
But again, any way, each to their own, What ever one likes best,
and again,
Thanks , but NO Thanks, I do not want something like "android"
or what is shown in the screen shot, that is why I use something
else.

RU55EL

#10 Post by RU55EL »

bester69 wrote:[...I think this is what keep away many people who comes from Windows or Osx, and doesnt understand why many things crashes in linux from time to time, or why the desktop experience looks feels some poor. Many apps from repositoires just doesnt work propertly out of the box without some litle fixing, that thing doesnt happend in Android, Windows or osx....
I've been running the latest version of Debian stable daily for years...and can't remember ever having it crash! I've got a server that I power down every six months to clean out the dust bunnys, otherwise it never gets rebooted - Rock Solid! I find the programs from the repositories also rock solid. Android and Windows arn't nearly as solid in my experience. (Although, Windows 10 seem pretty robust so far... Sadly, I some of the computers at work use it instead of GNU/Linux.)

What have you done to your Debian installation?

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

RU55EL wrote:
bester69 wrote:[...I think this is what keep away many people who comes from Windows or Osx, and doesnt understand why many things crashes in linux from time to time, or why the desktop experience looks feels some poor. Many apps from repositoires just doesnt work propertly out of the box without some litle fixing, that thing doesnt happend in Android, Windows or osx....
I've been running the latest version of Debian stable daily for years...and can't remember ever having it crash! I've got a server that I power down every six months to clean out the dust bunnys, otherwise it never gets rebooted - Rock Solid! I find the programs from the repositories also rock solid. Android and Windows arn't nearly as solid in my experience. (Although, Windows 10 seem pretty robust so far... Sadly, I some of the computers at work use it instead of GNU/Linux.)

What have you done to your Debian installation?
I dont buy you the point of stable debian doesnt have crashes, indeed what really call my attention was that how buggy linux was (and is), when its suppose to be the opposite to windows. But when i refer to linux, i mean the DE with their apps, thats what is constantly crashing even whith a clean Stable debian version. Becouse in that clean debian stable you're going to install Libreoffice, Chrome, and others apps that eventually and when you do something weird, they just close themselves (dont tell me it doesnt happend to you, i dont believe it), and i reliesed that it happend with much more frequency that in Windows. Furthermore are many apps, some of them, with some features buggy implemented, which requires some fixing (i could name you apps like kdenlive, kodi, chromium and others ones, perhaps some plugins, etc) . This kind of stuff doesnt tend to occur in windows or android, i think that a huge part of small linux apps are developed by seniors developers, and has been litle tested with a lot of litle hidden bugs).

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

GarryRicketson wrote:...
As far as the "crashes" go, this is the main reason I never did, and
still don't use the MS stuff, it all ways crashes and burns, Using Debian
as it was, I do not have this problem, it is secure and reliable,
But again, any way, each to their own, What ever one likes best,
and again,
Garry, id say thas a very bias opinion, and pretty false, Windows almost never crashes, unless you system already got infected, or you're installing and using infected apps. But i'd say 95% of apps works pretty well without any crashes in comparison with linux repositories apps (whichid say are most of them seniors apps)

As for your tastes, are kind of weird, becouse you dont like what likes to most of the people, which is not bad, its just you think its ugly for most of the people. i see you like it tinny and ugly interfaces in my opinion,

tomazzi

#13 Post by tomazzi »

bester69 wrote: I dont buy you the point of stable debian doesnt have crashes, indeed what really call my attention was that how buggy linux was (and is), when its suppose to be the opposite to windows.
Debian stable doesn't crash. dot
(unless You have a damaged hardware - what would be strange, since You have proven that You're able to find out how to break the Debian by f.e. mixing repos - but at the same time - You're unable to find out how to test Your hardware? ...strange... )

Another possibility: You're simply a troll. dot
bester69 wrote:Windows almost never crashes
Oh really? Every windows <desktop> crashes usually twice an hour -> but Microshit have spent the last 20 years on developing a "technology" which is guaranteeing that the crashes are visible only as a "flashing" of a desktop icons <restarting explorer.exe> :LOL:

...definitely You're a troll...

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

bw123

#14 Post by bw123 »

bester69 wrote: But What im talking about, is That I wish we could have all kind of thousands of apps from Android in our beloved linux debian available..
Well, if the developers want to publish the source code under GPL or similar, then I think that would be fine.
But when i refer to linux, i mean the DE with their apps, thats what is constantly crashing even whith a clean Stable debian
PuhLEEZE, bester you have ran a clean stable debian for maybe 5 minutes in your entire life.

More apps is a good idea though, I'm all for it, as long as they are "free"
Last edited by bw123 on 2016-11-08 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

tomazzi wrote:....
...definitely You're a troll...

Regards.
Ok, you forgot to say. dot

regards.

RU55EL

#16 Post by RU55EL »

bester69 wrote: I dont buy you the point of stable debian doesnt have crashes, indeed what really call my attention was that how buggy linux was (and is), when its suppose to be the opposite to windows. But when i refer to linux, i mean the DE with their apps, thats what is constantly crashing even whith a clean Stable debian version. Becouse in that clean debian stable you're going to install Libreoffice, Chrome, and others apps that eventually and when you do something weird, they just close themselves (dont tell me it doesnt happend to you, i dont believe it), ...
I'm not trying to sell you anything. Believe me or not, I really don't care. It just surprises me that you seem to have so many problems with Debian. I run Debian stable with the default Gnome desktop, with a certain degree of command line use. It's the most stable operating system I've used in the last 30 years.

I sometimes play around with some other GNU/Linux operating systems. I recently installed Fedora 24 on one of my computers and was surprised to find it also very stable, although I've only been running it on one computer for a few weeks, so this is just a first impression. Come to think of it, I did find Ubuntu somewhat glitchy.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck with your system in the future.

pendrachken

#17 Post by pendrachken »

bester69 wrote:If you have used Android anytime, you will understand the point of this post.

I think if you think of it carefully it has make a lot of sense, becouse Android is a Great Comercial Product (first Smarttphone product in my opionion), There is millons of euros behind this system, enought to make it feel perfect, to make it feel nice; every dateil, thousands of hours of testing searching for any possibles bugs, i supppose Andorid such as Osx has long beyong from what open community can achieve, mainly because the ammonunt of hours of proffesionals developers behind them.

but, hey!!, I wish open source community products such as Ubuntu gets soon to that point eventually.

You must not have used Android much either.

First off, what Android UI are you looking at? AOSP / Google Nexus "stock" Android, Slightly modified stock Android from Motorola, heavily modified TouchWiz from Samsung? Maybe some who knows what the hell has been done to the UI cheap $20 tablet from China? Maybe the super locked down Amazon version they run on their tablets?

Secondly, Android crashes. Apps crash and force quit, system level code crashes, bootloaders crash and bootloop. About the only thing that's better about Android is that is isn't as locked down ( for the most part, with exceptions like the Amazon tablets ) as iOS devices are.

Thirdly, Good luck getting security updates unless you run a Nexus device, most devices don't get updates much after 6 months from release. and there are gaping security holes going back from 5+ years in the Android codebase that are still being discovered today.

TL;DR: Android is a turd, but is at least less soggy than iOS.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Ardouos

#18 Post by Ardouos »

RU55EL wrote: Sounds like Gnome to me...
Yep...
@bester: I do not disagree to the notion of an "attractive DE" as long as it is a choice. People do spend a lot of time creating themes so you can choose to have one. But please... nothing like Android.
WHY CANT WE'VE SOMETHING LIKE ANDROID?
Because then it'll be Android? Buy a tablet or a phone and you will have that experience. :)
bester69 wrote: Android seems well proteceted, i've not even been able to root it up to date, looking some hack on internet.
As long as Android has backdoors in, it never will be. Period.
tomazzi wrote: Another aspect is privacy - but I'm not going to waste my time on discussing it right now - this is a *big* topic - so I'm only going to say that today, the problem is not with "old-fashioned" viruses - but with the constantly violated right for privacy.
Yes, yes and yes.
tomazzi wrote: Oh really? Every windows <desktop> crashes usually twice an hour --snip--
Lets not forget the many forced updates for Windows 10 that to this day "broke" many computer systems... Costing people money.

You can never escape from bugs, but Debian stable is the most solid system I have ever used. With Debian, people can create their own experience, from a full fledged DE to a typewriter (so on and so forth...) and there is nothing wrong with that.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Nili

#19 Post by Nili »

Just as I planned you'd answer by using FrankenDebian method by mixing Linux 4.7-4.8 kernel from Ubuntu repo.
If I didn't answer that ironic truth. You'll never understand what's Debian communities thinking.
You'll end up "Why?! Why!? Why!? you do still use 3.16 it's ridiculious. I don't get you guys Debianies" like you always did forever. :lol:
Everything that you've done up until now are according to my plan.
All your cocky statement I've made you answer like this on purpose. 8)

Let's see what will Debian communities respond with your mixing Linux 4.7-4.8 on Debian with Ubuntu repo
Will they have better reason to stick with 3.16 than that or they're going to agree with your FrankenDebian method.
I'll looking forward to it. :wink:
Not far away, but this quote received a reply on this topic :)

I'm using stable repository since the 1rst day i hit Debian stable
Start-Date: 2015-07-19 13:02:32
Up to this moment i didn't get a single crash, block or stall. In my opinion Debian is a strong stone.

Edit: Sorry, but i don't like too a Windows or Android clone. I like Debian, for what it is or presented to me/us.

P.S. Where there is a shell, there's a way...
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

dasein

#20 Post by dasein »

I have never been able to figure out why folks feed this adolescent troll.