Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Now: Opera Browser a Great Choice!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Nili

Re: Now: Opera Browser a Great Choice!

#16 Post by Nili »

bester69 wrote:Ligher than firefox and chrome/ium, you can try it , it cost money to install it and compare with your others browsers,
Im really glad with opera, and im using it right now as my default browser, but you can do whatever you want, i just told you how good right now is back again Opera browser, a least in my old 2008's laptop.
I'm glad you're happy with Opera also i do not want to ruin your joy, but for some circumstances I can't test Opera right now.
So I asked more outputs from you.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

kedaha

#17 Post by kedaha »

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here
The above says what the offtopic board is for.
Opera certainly doesn't relate to Debian at all; it's a third-party piece of software not included in Debian's non-free repository.
No doubt it's attractive to those who value performance over software freedom.
But why do you want to share it? What can you do with it? For instance, try building the "Opera" software from source. You can't; you're not free to do that.
Try modifying anything in the program; well you can't do that either. Read their End User License Agreement:
It may be a "Great Choice" for uncritical end users with little or no interest in the freedoms afforded by free and open source software. But it is of no interest whatsoever to Debian users who reject the limitations and security issues imposed by proprietary, binary-only, non-free software. And you don't need to be some kind of free-software zealot to comprehend that.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

RoyFokker wrote:I think linux has jumped the shark the last time I used Windows heavily. Due to my ongoing woes with Xorg documented here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p630529
that was a fun read.
interesting, comparing debian testing (plus pebkac?) to windows, you have finally proven that windows is superior.
congratulations, and good riddance.

bester69

#19 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:
bester69 wrote:Ligher than firefox and chrome/ium, you can try it , it cost money to install it and compare with your others browsers,
Im really glad with opera, and im using it right now as my default browser, but you can do whatever you want, i just told you how good right now is back again Opera browser, a least in my old 2008's laptop.
I'm glad you're happy with Opera also i do not want to ruin your joy, but for some circumstances I can't test Opera right now.
Im really sorry man, im very lazy, but you should try it
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

kedaha

#20 Post by kedaha »

bester69 wrote:
Nili wrote:
Im really sorry man, im very lazy, but you should try it
Which also means you accept their proprietary End Use License Agreement which " governs your download and/or use of the executable code " and "agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions set forth in this EULA thereby." Have fun!
DebianStable

$ vrms

bester69

#21 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:......
Which also means you accept their proprietary End Use License Agreement which " governs your download and/or use of the executable code " and "agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions set forth in this EULA thereby." Have fun!
For sure, life is too complicate, work, women, family, friends, people, linux, society, banks , i cant stand with all of them :? , im 35 years old, and i need to RIP :shock: , im pretty tired, to me ive enought with money banks's EULA, so, in my case, its time to economize time and efforts, puttin them in the right measures.

I say, yes, yes, .. yes to everithing EULA's karma archons contracts, im not reading anymore agreements, fak!.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

#22 Post by phenest »

bester69 wrote:
Nili wrote:......
For sure, life is too complicate, work, women, family, friends, people, linux, society, banks , i cant stand with all of them :? , im 35 years old, and i need to RIP :shock: , im pretty tired, to me ive enought with money banks's EULA, so, in my case, its time to economize time and efforts, puttin them in the right measures.

I say, yes, yes, .. yes to everithing EULA's karma archons contracts, im not reading anymore agreements, fak!.
Did you accept it blindly? I mean, did you read the EULA or just clicked "Accept"?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pcalvert

#23 Post by pcalvert »

I tried Opera for Windows and Linux and ended up dumping it. The Windows version I dumped because it updated itself automatically without asking for permission first. I don't clearly remember exactly why I got rid of the Linux version, but it might have been because it was too similar to Chrome/Chromium for my tastes.

If you like Opera, then you may like Vivaldi.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

bester69

#24 Post by bester69 »

pcalvert wrote:I tried Opera for Windows and Linux and ended up dumping it. The Windows version I dumped because it updated itself automatically without asking for permission first. I don't clearly remember exactly why I got rid of the Linux version, but it might have been because it was too similar to Chrome/Chromium for my tastes.

If you like Opera, then you may like Vivaldi.

Phil
I tested Vivaldi, Vivaldi is crap!!, its a leess proffesional software than opera, it's slower than opera, less stable, and typerwrinting in url bar is lagging.

I'd say Slimjet its also a good alternative,more solid software,

kedaha

#25 Post by kedaha »

How about the open-source midori-browser?
It's available from Debian and there's a newer version from jessie-backports. To quote from the website:
Midori's source code is freely available for anyone to download and modify, leading to active development and a diverse feature set.
DebianStable

$ vrms

bester69

#26 Post by bester69 »

kedaha wrote:How about the open-source midori-browser?
It's available from Debian and there's a newer version from jessie-backports. To quote from the website:
Midori's source code is freely available for anyone to download and modify, leading to active development and a diverse feature set.
I tested Midori, it doesnt render propertly some web pages, so i gave it up.. those internet browsing doent worth it, they tend to crash or just doesnt render propertly some web pages, ..

I think in linux we just have
Firefox, Chrome/Chromium based on, and Opera browser

the rest are shitty browsers most of them (this include Midori and Pale moon among others).

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Midori (and other webkit-based browsers) should *not* be used in Debian stable.

From the jessie release notes:
Debian 8 includes several browser engines which are affected by a steady stream of security vulnerabilities. The high rate of vulnerabilities and partial lack of upstream support in the form of long term branches make it very difficult to support these browsers with backported security fixes. Additionally, library interdependencies make it impossible to update to newer upstream releases. Therefore, browsers built upon the webkit, qtwebkit and khtml engines are included in Jessie, but not covered by security support. These browsers should not be used against untrusted websites.

For general web browser use we recommend Iceweasel or Chromium.

Chromium - while built upon the Webkit codebase - is a leaf package, which will be kept up-to-date by rebuilding the current Chromium releases for stable. Iceweasel and Icedove will also be kept up-to-date by rebuilding the current ESR releases for stable.
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... r-security

@jester69 -- your opinions are worthless, please post some actual benchmarks or stfu
deadbang

kedaha

#28 Post by kedaha »

bester69 wrote:
kedaha wrote:How about the open-source midori-browser?
I tested Midori, it doesnt render propertly some web pages, so i gave it up.. those internet browsing doent worth it, they tend to crash or just doesnt render propertly some web pages, ..

I think in linux we just have
Firefox, Chrome/Chromium based on, and Opera browser

the rest are shitty browsers most of them (this include Midori and Pale moon among others).
What version did you try?
Perhaps you could post some web pages that don't render properly using Midori.
As it says at midori-browser.org/contribute:
Bugs
Have a problem or a suggestion? Report a bug on launchpad and watch it be vigilantly attacked and beaten into submission. or developed and drafted into the next release.
DebianStable

$ vrms

debiman

#29 Post by debiman »

bester69 wrote:life is too complicate, work, women, family, friends, people, linux, society, banks , i cant stand with all of them :? , im 35 years old, and i need to RIP, im pretty tired, to me ive enought with money banks's EULA, so, in my case, its time to economize time and efforts, puttin them in the right measures.
that's the silliest excuse i have ever read for not reading the TOS/EULA.
you actually take the time to elaborately justify your laziness.
you could already have read 1 EULA in that time.

or better yet: use software that does not require you to agree to any end user license agreement. read the GPL once, you're good to go for thousands of software packages...

@everybody: forget it, op has their mind set on midless consumerism & closed source software. thankfully both are available on linux, too, these days.

phenest

#30 Post by phenest »

debiman wrote:
bester69 wrote:life is too complicate, ... im 35 years old, and i need to RIP, im pretty tired
@everybody: forget it, op has their mind set on midless consumerism & closed source software. thankfully both are available on linux, too, these days.
Hey, give him a break. He's 35 years old and tired. :lol:

No_windows

#31 Post by No_windows »

I tried Midori once. Probably the version in Jessie. I can't recall if it was under Debian or SolydX, which uses the Debian repos. It crashed all the time.

I currently have Opera on my system, but don't use it very often. I've been debating on possibly uninstalling it. I don't like it that they've been sold, and they also seem to be updating a lot.....they'll post an update and a day or two later there is another. It makes me think that the first update wasn't the fix they thought it was. To be fair, I've never checked for any notices on what the updates were for.

phenest

#32 Post by phenest »

I have a legacy machine which has Windows XP on it. Needing an up-to-date browser, I discovered this:
http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/2016/04 ... -xp-vista/
But they no longer support it now.

Anyway, who cares. I installed Firefox instead. Mozilla still support XP.

bester69

#33 Post by bester69 »

No_windows wrote:I tried Midori once. Probably the version in Jessie. I can't recall if it was under Debian or SolydX, which uses the Debian repos. It crashed all the time.

I currently have Opera on my system, but don't use it very often. I've been debating on possibly uninstalling it. I don't like it that they've been sold, and they also seem to be updating a lot.....they'll post an update and a day or two later there is another. It makes me think that the first update wasn't the fix they thought it was. To be fair, I've never checked for any notices on what the updates were for.
yeah, im agree Midori Crash

I read in the Opera page, than they tested very much Opera stable version, before to release it, they're a paid company, and i can tell you how good im now with this v41 Opera browser version stable. Ive been testing it from a week a ago or so, and it feels rock solid, and very smooth the UI, It also seems to consume less memory than Chromium/Chrome equivalent browsers,.

Now ive set it as my regular default browser, before that i was using chromium 35 due to memory/cpu consume and speed.

So, Very Glad with Opera Browser, lets just hope they keep it this way. :wink:

bester69

#34 Post by bester69 »

Its very cool the automatic function find/copy

Imagesubir imagenes

:) 8)

RoyFokker

#35 Post by RoyFokker »

@phenest:
FOSS zealot wrote what? The Opera link you shared:
http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/2016/04 ... -xp-vista/

Cites this mozilla page:
Firefox no longer works with some versions of Windows XP
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... windows-xp

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is the minimum Windows version that meets the Firefox System Requirements. ....

If it says Service Pack 1 or nothing at all, your system doesn't meet the Firefox system requirements. The only popular web browser that is still being updated with security patches for older versions of Windows XP is Opera.

In other words the exact opposite of what you wrote is the case! Closed source Opera has more support and even Mozilla refers users of XP Service Pack 1 or earlier to download Opera!