Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating BIOS, speed up your PC?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Updating BIOS, speed up your PC?

#1 Post by bester69 »

I upgraded my bios right now, and i can feel computer some quicker..I'm not sure is placebo, because i also felt it when booted in Windwos10 system.

Can we unlock performance by upgrating the bios?? :idea:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

Re: Updating BIOS, speed up your PC?

#2 Post by edbarx »

I remember someone mentioned the term confirmation bias. When I read these posts making extraordinary claims, I always end up failing to find complementary extraordinary evidence.

Unless you are a BIOS developer with the status of a guru, you are not gaining any more performance by upgrading your BIOS, apart from unnecessarily risking broken motherboard firmware.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

bester69 wrote:
Well bester, you tell us. You read the change log for the new BIOS before you flashed it didn't you? Were there any changes that could have produced the increased performance you "feel"? Or, was the change log something else that you were too tired to read? I expect that most people here would prefer to see some sort of benchmarking data regarding performance rather than your feelings. Clearly you have a lot of enthusiasm but it seems to me that you are also impetuous. Since I think you are actually a human rather than AI, of course it is possible that it "feels" faster just because you did something to it.

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

Thorny wrote:
bester69 wrote:
Well bester, you tell us. You read the change log for the new BIOS before you flashed it didn't you? Were there any changes that could have produced the increased performance you "feel"? Or, was the change log something else that you were too tired to read? I expect that most people here would prefer to see some sort of benchmarking data regarding performance rather than your feelings. Clearly you have a lot of enthusiasm but it seems to me that you are also impetuous. Since I think you are actually a human rather than AI, of course it is possible that it "feels" faster just because you did something to it.
Sometimes BIOS updates contain stability enhancements, security updates, performance enhancements, support for new hardware, and even CPU microcode which can further improve performance. It is a good idea to keep the BIOS updated.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... -bios.html
According this article, i think i wasnt wrong at all, it says sometimes BIOS updates gives you performance enhancements even CPU microcode which can further improve performance.
So, yeah, i think was able to fell it, that tinny speed gain.

Now, i've just buyed 4GB RAM to upgrade, I almost buyed two DDR2 800mhz, but i finally picked DDR2 670mhz, just in case the bios wasnt able to recognize them.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:I remember someone mentioned the term confirmation bias. When I read these posts making extraordinary claims, I always end up failing to find complementary extraordinary evidence.

Unless you are a BIOS developer with the status of a guru, you are not gaining any more performance by upgrading your BIOS, apart from unnecessarily risking broken motherboard firmware.
Hi edbarx, i think you're wrong, you might gain some tinny performance (CPU microcode, or any other new controller that improved IO speed)

Anyway, it says the article its a good idea to update BIOS for security, stability and enhace performace (just the risk to fakup the computer sholdnt be enought.. to stop updating the bios) I think we're enoiught good to take that risk.:mrgreen: );

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Modern operating systems do not use BIOS to run. So there cannot be performance improvement upgrading BIOS. CPU microcode is an exception, but new microcode can be loaded from within OS.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

Thorny wrote:I expect that most people here would prefer to see some sort of benchmarking data regarding performance rather than your feelings.

Code: Select all

s/most//
Fixed that for you. :-D

Of course, this OP has never once demonstrated the ability to differentiate between his opinion and measurable data. The absence of baseline data makes any meaningful, substantive comparison impossible.

Happily, psychophysics wonks researched questions like this as far back as the 19th century, enabling us to estimate just how large a performance difference would need to be in order to be noticeable merely through subjective perception. As a purely practical matter, for a performance difference to be detectable subjectively, it has to be roughly 20% faster/slower than the reference point and at least 100 milliseconds long. For any CPU whose speed is measured in GHz, the notion that a(ny) BIOS update translates into a 20% difference qualifies as nonsensical.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

My computer is as fast as I can type. Image

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

I'm not going to update the BIOS but may even be able to ditch it by installing coreboot seeing my GA-G41M-ES2L is supported by that Open Source project. :mrgreen:
To quote from the site:
Performance
coreboot is designed to boot quickly. For desktops and laptop machines, it can frequently boot to the start of the operating system in under a second. For servers, it can cut minutes off of the boot time. Some vendors have demonstrated a decrease in boot time by more than 70% when compared to the OEM BIOS.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

eor2004

#10 Post by eor2004 »

kedaha wrote:I'm not going to update the BIOS but may even be able to ditch it by installing coreboot seeing my GA-G41M-ES2L is supported by that Open Source project. :mrgreen:
Hi guys, Kedaha I have the same model of motherboard, mine is ver.1.0, it works beautifully with 99℅ of Linux distribution I have tested so far, I bought it in 2010 & I love it, OTOH I had to upgrade the BIOS only once because when I turned off the computer, it powered on by itself, after installing the upgrade to the BIOS problem solved, but I didn't noticed any improvement in speed or performance.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

Thorny wrote:You read the change log for the new BIOS before you flashed it didn't you?
The last time I upgraded my BIOS, it was to increase support for newer CPU's. I'd imagine that would be the only reason to upgrade a BIOS.
bester69 wrote:Now, i've just buyed 4GB RAM to upgrade, I almost buyed two DDR2 800mhz, but i finally picked DDR2 670mhz, just in case the bios wasnt able to recognize them.
Just so you know, it's not about whether the BIOS supports the RAM. It's down to the motherboard chipset. If you have a new enough computer, then it's about what the CPU supports.
But, of course, I expect you researched this before buying. I betcha didn't.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

i washed and waxed my laptop, and it seems to run a lot better. A website also told me I needed my registry optimized, which I was surprised to find we also have in Linux, but I also let them go ahead and do that, and I swear applications also start up faster. :mrgreen:

[/fakenews]
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

dasein wrote:......
Of course, this OP has never once demonstrated the ability to differentiate between his opinion and measurable data. The absence of baseline data makes any meaningful, substantive comparison impossible.

Happily, psychophysics wonks researched questions like this ......
dasein, very interesting conccept. I think im some good in psychophysics, cos i can feel which kernels goes quicker in my computer than others. I installed differents ubuntu's kernels, i gave them one day or two for testting performance and I can reach my conclusion about if i must drop it or keep it, I think most of the times i pick the fastest one. Right now im very, very glad with brach LTS 4.4.x, now ive 4.4.37, and my computer is fastest responsive than before.
(It coukd also be a mix between both, strectch and kernel updates)

Im hoping my 4gB RAM come soon, cos im going to enable /dev/shm shared memory :
Since RAM is significantly faster than disk storage, you can use /dev/shm instead of /tmp for the performance boost, if your process is I/O intensive and extensively uses temporary files.

I just need to buy and install a SSD disk, in order to get full power ultimate performance boost :o

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

You could try running the Phoronix test suite for some hard data.

Bulkley

#15 Post by Bulkley »

stevepusser wrote:i washed and waxed my laptop, and it seems to run a lot better.
I worked for a company that sold and serviced office equipment. One summer they hired several college kids to go around cleaning said equipment. Get this: all the kids did was clean the externals yet we had call after call from customers claiming the machines ran so much better.

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

I tried washing my keyboard, with soap and water, after spilling coffee
on it , but it still didn't work ,.... :(
However , instead of upgrading the bios, maybe just download and install
more RAM
Dowmload Free Ram

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

GarryRicketson wrote:I tried washing my keyboard, with soap and water, after spilling coffee
on it , but it still didn't work ,.... :(
However , instead of upgrading the bios, maybe just download and install
more RAM
Dowmload Free Ram
Ive been told,
if you put it in the freeze for around 6 hours or so, and you take it out, the computer runs faster, Im tryng right now to see if its true, I wil tell you tomorrow how it was. (dont forget to use a bag to prevent humidy)

RU55EL

#18 Post by RU55EL »

Supercooling with liquid nitrogen would be more effective.

dasein

#19 Post by dasein »

RU55EL wrote:Supercooling with liquid nitrogen would be more effective.
:lol:

This thread would be so funny if it weren't so damn pathetic.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

The competitors in extreme over clocking shootouts do use liquid nitrogen for cooling. For a few seconds...