Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Shoud i buy a Linux Laptop to save some money?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
milomak

Re: Shoud i buy a Linux Laptop to save some money?

#21 Post by milomak »

i always buy a windows laptop that suits my pocket.

the only real issue i have faced is that i have to install debian with the ethernet cable plugged in before i can get wifi working properly
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

phenest wrote:I bought a Dell XPS 17 L702X. I then carefully removed the COA label, bundled it with the OS/driver discs, etc, and sold it on eBay for £40 GBP.
Was that a full Windows installer, or an OEM one that would only work for the model of computer?
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#23 Post by milomak »

stevepusser wrote:
phenest wrote:I bought a Dell XPS 17 L702X. I then carefully removed the COA label, bundled it with the OS/driver discs, etc, and sold it on eBay for £40 GBP.
Was that a full Windows installer, or an OEM one that would only work for the model of computer?
Or was the buyer just stupid?

Why would you buy a Windows license from anyone who has seen it and had time to take a photo copy of it?

edit - this applies to most (if not all) items which have some code
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

phenest

#24 Post by phenest »

stevepusser wrote:
It's OEM but exactly the same as a Windows Retail with the exception that it has a Dell Product Code included. It can be installed on any make/model, but if it's not a Dell, it will require activation.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D