Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

BTRFS vs Deduplication tools

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

BTRFS vs Deduplication tools

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
BTRFS vs Deduplication tools, Which is better?

BTRFS is great for tooking snapshots, right now, im wondering if i still need tooking anymore backups with tools such as attic or duplicty.

See my home timeline snapshots, It can takes one per hour easily so you can recover any document you delete accidendally
Imagesubefotos

BTRFS file system is wondefull!
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: BTRFS vs Deduplication tools

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

A btrfs snapshot is *not* a backup.

I recommend `rsync` for backups, preferably to non-local storage.
deadbang

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

you can of course store the snapshots onto both a local and an external drive
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130512
But since btrfs is not officially stable it might be safer to use some other fs that has a longer track record even though that means using something like rsync or making an image file.

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:A btrfs snapshot is *not* a backup.

I recommend `rsync` for backups, preferably to non-local storage.
Yes!, snapshots are backups

https://www.suse.com/communities/blog/i ... es-11-sp2/
Snapper by default creates hourly snapshots of the system partition (/). You can use these backup snapshots to restore files that have accidentally been deleted or modified beyond recovery.
it can be used to get tremendous benefits not only in terms of fast system backup and restore but also as tool for tracking the activity on the system.
Last edited by bester69 on 2016-12-14 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote:you can of course store the snapshots onto both a local and an external drive
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130512
But since btrfs is not officially stable it might be safer to use some other fs that has a longer track record even though that means using something like rsync or making an image file.
https://www.suse.com/communities/blog/i ... es-11-sp2/

As you can see--> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is using BTRFS,

So If a leader linux company is using btrfs as default file system.....I think we can say its enought safer/stable

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

I think we can say that having snapshots on the same drive is a "half-backup". :D there is still the problem that if your drive physically dies then you loose both the original and the backup. For example, the plastic bag protecting it in the dish washer might brake. A "true backup" is one on another drive physically, preferably on one that you do not use as freqeuntly. In that case, if your drive dies the backup is still intact. Unless, of course, both drives die at the same time. Thats why you should also have a third backup where you print the contents of the diks to archival-grade acid free cotton pulp paper and ask your bank to store it in a safe.

On stability:
bester69 wrote: If a leader linux company is using btrfs as default file system.....I think we can say its enought safer/stable
Yes but as you can see kernel.org itself says:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Is_btrfs_stable.3F wrote:Is btrfs stable?

Short answer:
Maybe.

Long answer: Nobody is going to magically stick a label on the btrfs code and say "yes, this is now stable and bug-free". Different people have different concepts of stability: a home user who wants to keep their ripped CDs on it will have a different requirement for stability than a large financial institution running their trading system on it. If you are concerned about stability in commercial production use, you should test btrfs on a testbed system under production workloads to see if it will do what you want of it. In any case, you should join the mailing list (and hang out in IRC) and read through problem reports and follow them to their conclusion to give yourself a good idea of the types of issues that come up, and the degree to which they can be dealt with. Whatever you do, we recommend keeping good, tested, off-system (and off-site) backups.

Pragmatic answer: Many of the developers and testers run btrfs as their primary filesystem for day-to-day usage, or with various forms of real data. With reliable hardware and up-to-date kernels, we see very few unrecoverable problems showing up. As always, keep backups, test them, and be prepared to use them.

When deciding if Btrfs is the right file system for your use case, don't forget to look at the Status page, which contains an overview of the general status of distinct features of the file system.