Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

4GB RAM minimum for today!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

4GB RAM minimum for today!

#1 Post by bester69 »

Finally I installed 4GB RAM, and i finally can RIP :)

Nowdays, you almost reach 2GB with the internet browser (chromium eats easilly 1G-1,5GB with much tabs and some extension), two or three office apps and the own system, So as you cant install just 3GB, its necessary to install a minum of 4GB to be able to work propertlly. I was fed up with everytime i opened ten or twenty tabs and the system came down swapping.

Now, everithing is perfect,I dont have worry anymore about akonady process (kmail), I can keep opened a Virtual Machine, Chrome, libreoffice, okular and kate at the same time, so now, i can do the job without nothing bothering me. Really, really pleasure :o

So, my advice is to upgrade inmediatlly, it's worth it, i buyed 4Gb in amazon for just 28 €.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

vicshrike

Re: 4GB RAM minimum for today!

#2 Post by vicshrike »

Congratulations! Yes, I have noticed that on a low spec system, even when trying to save RAM, as soon as one goes online things start to really slow down. Text browser helps, but not a solution in the long run. :)

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

Trust me, you can run Chromium on a desktop with 1 GB. But not KDE. And if you use some lightweight browser you can go to 500 MB with no problem. For example, tinycore uses something like 100 MB for the desktop and OS.

Also, most machines you can buy new have come with 4 GB or more for years. I have a laptop from 2008 that has 4 GB. So "upgrade immediately" sounds a bit... I don't even know.

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

Minimum spec is just that - "minimum." But minimum for what? What your specific minimum RAM requirement is depends on what you do with the computer. I subscribe to an old adage that says "too much is never enough. That goes for bandwidth too. I stopped even thinking about storage space several years ago. That part is inexpensive enough now to no longer be an issue at all. :)
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

pylkko wrote:Trust me, you can run Chromium on a desktop with 1 GB.
+1
One of my towers has only 2GB running Debian with MATE. 2GB seems plenty enough.
bester69 wrote:I was fed up with everytime i opened ten or twenty tabs and the system came down swapping.
... but then I don't have 10 to 20 tabs open.

In fact, my laptop which has 32GB, is at this moment only using 1.4GB running Gnome 3 with Claws Mail and Chromium (1 tab) open. Then I started playing The Shining in HD with MPV, started Rhythmbox playing Pink Floyd, then started System Monitor and Nautilus. 1.7GB used.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

phenest wrote:... is at this moment only using 1.4GB running Gnome 3 with Claws Mail and Chromium (1 tab) open......
Yeah, As one web page nowdays is around 25MB-50MB, you can make the calc, 25MBx 20webs= 500MB, 1.4G+500>= 2GB, so as you can see 2GB not enought.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote:Trust me, you can run Chromium on a desktop with 1 GB. But not KDE. And if you use some lightweight browser you can go to 500 MB with no problem. For example, tinycore uses something like 100 MB for the desktop and OS.
yeah, and if you use mode console with lynks or something like that, you could do it with 50MB RAM... New webs and browsers eats too much RAM.., its not funcional surviving with less than 2GB anymore, and with just 2 it's pretty low.

Of course, you can have a system with just 500MB and opened a web, but ...

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

phenest wrote:In fact, my laptop which has 32GB, is at this moment only using 1.4GB running Gnome 3 with Claws Mail and Chromium (1 tab) open. Then I started playing The Shining in HD with MPV, started Rhythmbox playing Pink Floyd, then started System Monitor and Nautilus. 1.7GB used.
Fascinating. I've always wondered why some people add odd amounts of RAM to their computers. First, it costs money, second, it is a waste of energy. It must be the same thing that makes them to buy pickup trucks and/or ugly SUV's. Some dark desire that cannot be overridden by common sense. My condolences.

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

Another pointless thread from this clueless adolescent OP.

2GB of RAM is tight but perfectly workable if one doesn't pretend that RAM is somehow infinite, or that being gratuitously wasteful of RAM somehow results in a spontaneous increase in the amount of RAM inside one's macine.

I routinely run KDE 4, multiple browsers, and the occasional instance of GIMP and/or LibreOffice on a 10 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM and no swap at all. I only occasionally run into problems, simply by closing apps I'm not actually using, disabling Javascript and Flash, etc.

It isn't about a problem with DE, or with the browser (though browsers are notorious for memory leaks), and certainly not with Debian. It's a matter of "Don't do stupid crap."

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

bester69 wrote:
pylkko wrote:Trust me, you can run Chromium on a desktop with 1 GB. But not KDE. And if you use some lightweight browser you can go to 500 MB with no problem. For example, tinycore uses something like 100 MB for the desktop and OS.
yeah, and if you use mode console with lynks or something like that, you could do it with 50MB RAM... New webs and browsers eats too much RAM.., its not funcional surviving with less than 2GB anymore, and with just 2 it's pretty low.

Of course, you can have a system with just 500MB and opened a web, but ...
Yeah, I feel the irony and all. But I still think that it is a valid point. For example Raspbian runs with chromium as default browser. Their best device comes with 1 GB RAM and yet people manage to use it for real surfing. I have actually tried it and I remember that it had no problem holding several tabs open simultaneously with LibreOffice. Ok, I haven't tried 25 tabs, but still. And that is 1 GB no swap...

On 2 GB computers I run XFCE. If I wanted to run KDE I would use 4 GB even though technically you could do it with 2 like Dasein does. On 1 GB or less I usually either go with no DE, just WM or sometimes LXDE but I hate tweaking LXDE. Tinycore runs well and boots quickly on old machines that have slow cpu's and low RAM. It has firefox, so you can still use such a machine for modern websurfing if it has that 500 MB or more of RAM. No need to text mode with lynks and stuff.
Segfault wrote: Fascinating. I've always wondered why some people add odd amounts of RAM to their computers.
Well what if you need to run VM's or do some heavy compiling. Again, it depends on the use case. Also RAM is not as expensive as it used to be once.

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well what if you need to run VM's or do some heavy compiling.
Even with 2 VM s running, and FireFox,browser with several tabs open....I am usually averaging
about 750 to 800 mb of actual ram used, I do have 2 gb available .

But it is true , "heavy compiling" would make it higher.
At the moment, using "OpenBsd" I am using 461 mb ram.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-12-15 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

pylkko wrote:If I wanted to run KDE I would use 4 GB even though technically you could do it with 2 like Dasein does.
Truth be told, I run KDE4 (minus the PIM cruft) quite comfortably in one gig on my HTPC. But I also don't ask that rig to do anything else.

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

One thing for sure, 4GB of ram is NOT the minimum needed to run a Debian system,
and hope fully Debian never gets that "bloated"
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p631521

I suppose on computers with MS mal-ware installed, they probably need
4gb or more, and then they still do not run well.
-----edited----
Correction, changed 8gb to 4gb

-----------edited again, I suppose I am just to "old fashioned", and
have a hard time accepting the fact that now a days, with all the
"features", 4gb ram is minumal amount needed.
I remember the times when 5mb ram and 500mb hd disk space
was more then enough.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-12-16 04:03, edited 2 times in total.

RU55EL

#14 Post by RU55EL »

GarryRicketson wrote:[...] I suppose on computers with MS mal-ware installed, they probably need
8gb or more, and then they still do not run well.
I understand your dislike of Microsoft's operating systems, but... Windows 10 runs just fine on a dual core with 4 GBs of RAM. In fact, Windows 7 and Windows 10 run faster on said machine than Windows XP. Although, Debian runs much, much, faster, and is far more configurable, and a much better experience. In my opinion.

[/edit]
Garry, I have to agree that, for all practical purposes, 4 GB is the minimum RAM needed for a Windows computer. Again, in my opinion.

That's one of the reasons I like Debian so much more!

[edit]

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

The best damn OS I ever saw ran amazingly well in 16MB of RAM (not a typo).

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129061

Nili

#16 Post by Nili »

Debian absolutely it works very well with 2GB RAM. If draw all my scrots on Desktop Screenshots thread, I haven't spent more than 200MB RAM on my busy time.

I can run simultaneously (GUI) Browser, File Manager, Music Player, Theme Manager, (CLI) apps too, even watching my 20TB collection 60-FPS 1080p with mpv without the slightest disturbance.
I'm runing 2GB RAM since 10 years, last 4 years with Debian.

It is therefore relative, not exactly correct regarding minimum of 4GB RAM.

Debian vanilla (netinst) boots with 20MB RAM. Who knows how to use it properly does not spend anything in vain.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

dasein wrote:Truth be told, I run KDE4 (minus the PIM cruft) quite comfortably in one gig on my HTPC. But I also don't ask that rig to do anything else.
yes, KDE4 runws well with 1GB if you dont use akonadi framework, what for me, its main reason next to dolphin to be using KDE.., KDE without akonadi its the same a light DE (MATE or XFCE).
Even So, if you use open more than 12 tabs, you can get into problemas.

We re by now in 2017, it hasnt made many sense to try keeping with those small ammounts of RAM. Same happend with 32bits, they're all obsolence, people you must upgrade, you cant help it :mrgreen:

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

dasein wrote:Another pointless thread from this clueless adolescent OP.

2GB of RAM is tight but perfectly workable if one doesn't pretend that RAM is somehow infinite, or that being gratuitously wasteful of RAM somehow results in a spontaneous increase in the amount of RAM inside one's macine.

I routinely run KDE 4, multiple browsers, and the occasional instance of GIMP and/or LibreOffice on a 10 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM and no swap at all. I only occasionally run into problems, simply by closing apps I'm not actually using, disabling Javascript and Flash, etc.

It isn't about a problem with DE, or with the browser (though browsers are notorious for memory leaks), and certainly not with Debian. It's a matter of "Don't do stupid crap."
I dont think open a few tabs, an try do your things its a matter od stupidity, I'm using KDE5 Stretch, i Had 2Gb as well and i got into problem many times a week, that's the reason i had to buy more ram, i was fed up of having to killall my browser to stop swapping.

regards,

bester69

#19 Post by bester69 »

dasein wrote:Another pointless thread from this clueless adolescent OP.

I have funny talking about anything with all of you..We're offtopic, come on.. :( dont be so rude with me

pylkko

#20 Post by pylkko »

GarryRicketson wrote:

Well what if you need to run VM's or do some heavy compiling.
Even with 2 VM s running, and FireFox,browser with several tabs open....I am usually averagingfull
about 750 to 800 mb of actual ram used, I do have 2 gb available .

But it is true , "heavy compiling" would make it higher.
At the moment, using "OpenBsd" I am using 461 mb ram.
It depends. If I start a few non graphical instance of BSD that do little in the background, then sure, they will not consume more memory than some hundreds of MB. But, some people buy a computer with lots of RAM/CPU and serve many virtual machines to other "thinclients" on their LAN. I read about this in a blog of some guy and he recommended 32 GB. Not perhaps a normal use situation, but still possible. If you had many people using full OS on the same machine, then you would probably want as much RAM as possible. For example, I have win 10 VM that freezes if I don't allocate 4 GB for it. Now if you run that on top of a heavy DE (like GNOME/KDE) on Debian you're easily up to 6 GB or more. This also applies if you have one machine (no VM) but many people are logged on at the same time into a DE (like one being locked in the background while another is using their own profile).

Also, in development RAM is quite useful. You can compile large sets in RAM more rapidly than even on an SSD. Or if you need to test software that you develop on many OS's (and therefore have the other OS virtualized in the background).