Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

4GB RAM minimum for today!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Re: 4GB RAM minimum for today!

#31 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
bester69 wrote:1,7Gb just with Internet browser opened
Internet browser with at least five tabs open, which is taking up almost half the RAM you're using.
Its just one tab, others are its own process
shutter is taking up a buncha RAM, why not kill it if it's not needed? IIRC shutter minimizes to the tray by default when you close it; if you're running KDE perhaps you'd get a little better performance out of spectacle? Not clear why you're running a GTK screenshot app when KDE has one that works perfectly well :)
I always pick ultimate tools, shutter its most complete in this task.
I don't use any KDE PIM apps so akonadi is disabled on my machine. I also don't use baloo, finding it a waste of disk space and processor cycles. On my own Plasma 5 installation (I run Sid) KDE uses about exactly 400mb of RAM at idle; the only thing in autostart is yakuake. I run a saved session with conky in it because Plasma 5.8 and later refuse to autostart conky so I use a workaround. I almost never see > 1GB of RAM used, but I close tabs I'm not using :P
I also disble baloo, but not kontact(akonadi), this is best feature among distros, Im using Guake insteed Yakuake, i dont remember why, i picked Guake.

I remember KDE uses around 650MB not 400M at idle withoout akonadi, with akonadi rises to 950 or so, that with Chrome (one tab plus extensions) its around 1,5 GB, if you open some more apps (libreoffice, kate, okular) and some more tabs, it rise > 2Gb easilly, so its neccesary at least 4GB, cos you cant install 3Gb.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Bulkley

#32 Post by Bulkley »

Years ago I doubled my memory and noticed no change at all. Computer processing requires a combination of parts working together. Real improvement may require a completely different combination of parts. There is no silver bullet.

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

If the user wants to go to stupidly "heavy" sites such as the HuffPo, those will bog down most older machines due to the rendering required. They aren't interested in users with slower hardware. No matter how efficient the base system, the browser still is going have to use a lot of CPU cycles to render that page.
MX Linux packager and developer

qyron

#34 Post by qyron »

I won't put up my average system RAM consumption because I'm aware I've been fumbling with it and for sure there are a lot of processes running that should not be there, just putting weight on it.

What I usually try - and have been trying since I became more comfortable with tweaking my systems - is to find how low can I get on system resources and still have a working system for the average user.
But personally, as soon as I can get a machine for my single use, I'm going for the most streamlined system I can get built on openbox (I'm partial towards it) and try to get my power user badge.

Someone once nicknamed your system a frankendebian and I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with the title. With all the messing around you do to it, atop the odd user habits you have (I can't see the use for having more than two or three tabs in my web browser at the same time, and that is including Youtube, Codecademy and the eventual Wikipedia page or some forum or Facebook) it's easy to understand why you complain about having your system constantly bogging down.

I'm presently running on 4GB of RAM and after a quick check on it, I'm using about 1GB. Before I had the 4GB chip in the system, I was doing well with only half the memory and considering my system does not have a dedicated graphics card, I was doing very well. Except for the more resource hungry program (Minetest, Unknown Horizons, GIMP and Shotwell) my system was pretty snappy and functional. I added the extra memory for comfort, not extreme need; I could very well reconfigure the machine to a lighter DE (I'm using MATE), replace some programs with lighter alternatives (or even go without them) and put the system on a diet to squeeze more out of it. But then I would be trampling on the comfort of my family that also uses this machine.

The amount of memory in a system is directly tied to the needs of the users.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

freek

#35 Post by freek »

eh .. 2GB on laptop .. 6 days uptime (heavy user)
using 995MB (and 206MB in 4GB-swap) .. chromium (six tabs), firefox (three tabs), rtorrent, moc (streaming radio), mpv (movie-paused), htop, ranger and xterm open
.. don't think I need more .. :)
there's no business like .. your own business ..

vbrummond

#36 Post by vbrummond »

I wish my browser only used 50mb a tab. :) Try facebook, and watch it climb to 1-2gb.
Always on Debian Testing

Nili

#37 Post by Nili »

My browser and tabs running lighter because of those and many others

Code: Select all

0.0.0.0 instagram.com
0.0.0.0 linkedin.com
0.0.0.0 home.myspace.com
0.0.0.0 twitter.com
0.0.0.0 facebook.com
are saved in a good place at /etc/hosts
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

qyron

#38 Post by qyron »

caution: off-topic post follow-up in an off-topic thread
wizard10000 wrote: I am also guilty of this particular form of intellectual masturbation; I have two laptops and a 32-bit netbook and fluxbox is installed on all three. I've found it to be great fun trying to strike that balance between features and efficiency and I still do it to some extent.
You can justly call it that but its fun, at least from the angle of someone trying to learn by exploration. When I came to Linux I was extremely strapped for machine resources and slimming down my OS/DE was a need and that was what sparked the exercise. I had no one to call for help in learning FOSS-Fu.
wizard10000 wrote: But - my mindset has changed a bit in the last six months or so, which is the reason I'm back to KDE on my main machine with fluxbox installed as a backup in case I break KDE. I'm given a fixed set of computer resources; got 8GB of RAM, six or seven of which are just sitting there as disk cache most of the time and unused resources are unneeded resources.

So - my 64-bit Plasma 5 daily driver uses about 400mb of RAM at idle. It takes two seconds longer to get a working desktop than it does on the same machine running fluxbox and once the desktop is running there's not really a meaningful difference in application launch time. Took me 30 years to figure it out, but if I've got the resources I might as well use them :)
I never left that approach. Not being a power user to start with, having a given set of utilities I was capable of using without great risk of fudging (too much) things in the system was a actual need. Also, having another person using the same system I'm using with even less skills than I did/do have made forceful to keep the machine usable to anyone (at least to a certain degree).

I got my feet wet in Debian with the GNOME DE. It was friendly, even more for someone coming from Windows, easy to use, accessible. When it mutated to its present form I was at a loss and turned my back on it.

KDE was always a bit too much on the heavy side for my systems but I did try it for a time but wasn't able to get my liking.

XFCE was my DE for some time but it lacked a few tools I missed from GNOME.

Cinnamon is just not my kind of cake.

Mate brought back the classic GNOME look so I reverted to it. Its comfortable and familiar to use but I still find it a bit green. There are a lot of changes to be made until it can fully distance itself from GNOME. I'm still running it as my present DE, nonetheless.

E17 made me curious enough to give it more than one try and I sincerely think of it as an overlooked desktop in Debian. Had it installed side by side with Mate but I found it strange to have more than one DE coexisting in the same machine to give it a proper evaluation.

Then there is Openbox, to which I am partial to, because I tried a software similar to it when I was a devoted windows user but I lacked the resources (internet access and support/help) to properly learn how to handle it (can't remember the name though but it was I believe in had "box" in its name).

Usability is always on my mind but I like to explore and learn.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

dasein

#39 Post by dasein »

vbrummond wrote:I wish my browser only used 50mb a tab. :) Try facebook, and watch it climb to 1-2gb.
:shock: Hey, bro! Long time no see!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#40 Post by steve_v »

4GB? Eh what?
I'm posting this from firefox in XFCE, and using 350MB RAM. Even that's excessive IMO, but web browsers be greedy.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

vbrummond

#41 Post by vbrummond »

Hi Dasein! :)

http://imgur.com/a/6v4Sp

And that is actually pretty low, haha.
Always on Debian Testing

bester69

#42 Post by bester69 »

Even today smartphones are running low with just 2GB, . What kind of new PC-Game do you intend to play with just 2GB??, Most of Steam PC-GAMES required at least 4GB, so i think this is absurd discussion, world keeps on moving, you can't stuck in that point, Sorry, you must pay $$$ for new upgrades :mrgreen:

I suppose in three or five years they will have to surf internet in mode console if they want to keep those RAM memory sizes, cos web pages are not stopping to grow, and once increase badwithd, they will suddenly increase their sizes... So please, go trainning mode console browsing..so then you can stay with just 500Mb :D
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

MALsPa

#43 Post by MALsPa »

@bester69:

Myself, I don't play games. If you're saying that 4 GB is necessary for playing "modern" games, I won't argue with that, because I don't know and I don't care. But I'm typing this from a computer that has "only" 2 GB RAM, and this computer gives me absolutely no problems with the stuff I use it for. Maybe some people need at least 4 GB of RAM, but it's ridiculous to state that everyone does. One thing you're right about:
bester69 wrote:this is absurd discussion

Head_on_a_Stick

#44 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:this is absurd discussion
The minimum RAM requirement for BunsenLabs is 256MiB :D

Can you change the thread title to 4GiB RAM minimum for KDE! please?

:mrgreen:
deadbang

Nili

#45 Post by Nili »

I like to do many crazy sh!ts with console because i GUI can't do it. here it is one old scrot.
Streaming NHK JAPAN FHD with mpv, browsering with w3m, ranger and feh, weechat, conky, torrenting finally =156MB RAM

Clean|Vanilla|Core Debian (netinst) boots your machine with only 20MB.

4GB minimum? still no valid for most of us.

I'm out here.
Good luck with your bloated adventure.

Cheers and regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#46 Post by bester69 »

Im happy you can all live with less than 4GB,

One year ago or so, i was using Wheezy with 1GB, then i upgrade to 2GB and i thought my problems was gone, Now recentlly i migrated to Streetch and installed KDE5, and i saw that with 2GB i also was offten going into swapping, I had to go in mode console to kill the bad app.

So i know i could live with just 1GB and a lighter DE like MATE, but i wanted to enjoy KDE (kontact) so I needed at least 2GB, but the problem, is that 2GB remains short when you open some few tabs browser plus others apps. So 2Gb wasnt enought to be used propertly; thats why 4GB is required. Now no more problems, and i even enjoy using Virtual Machine and Internet browsing at the same time with many tabs.

Marry Christmas and happy new year. :wink:

n_hologram

#47 Post by n_hologram »

bester69, it's been at least a few months since I've posted here, and I can't believe you're still trolling this subforum.
bester69 wrote:So i know i could live with just 1GB and a lighter DE like MATE, but i wanted to enjoy KDE (kontact) so I needed at least 2GB, but the problem, is that 2GB remains short when you open some few tabs browser plus others apps. So 2Gb wasnt enought to be used propertly; thats why 4GB is required. Now no more problems, and i even enjoy using Virtual Machine and Internet browsing at the same time with many tabs.
Topic: "4GB RAM minimum for my setup", or "Four [gigabytes of] reasons why you should switch to xfce"
dasein wrote:Another pointless thread from this clueless adolescent OP.
I missed you.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

gnulux

#48 Post by gnulux »

Bulkley wrote:Years ago I doubled my memory and noticed no change at all. Computer processing requires a combination of parts working together. Real improvement may require a completely different combination of parts. There is no silver bullet.
Precisely! The processor is quite essential nowadays and the DE and the distro. You can have 4GB Ram and a socket 775 Celeron 420 on Jessie LXDE, it won’t make a difference if you only have 2GB. Yet WattOS-LXDE runs a bit faster than Debian-LXDE on a socket 478 Pentium 4 with 1GB Ram or a socket 775 Pentium 4 with 1 GB Ram.

(Ram was essential with the Pentium II and III)