Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Security and Privacy Apps

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
tennosis

Security and Privacy Apps

#1 Post by tennosis »

Hi everyone,

does anyone of you use special security apps like threma instead of whatsapp? Do you still use the big global applications with the knowledge that they use our data or do you use other apps with more security and privacy?
Would like to hear your opinion about that topic.
Greetings.

alan stone

Re: Security and Privacy Apps

#2 Post by alan stone »

Although the best to do for security and privacy is not using (cr)Apps :wink: :
WhatsApp, Signal, and Allo comparison - from a privacy perspective.
Security tips every Signal user should know

RU55EL

#3 Post by RU55EL »

There is some good reading that might interest you, if you haven't read it already, in Chapter 14. Security, of the Debian Administrator's Manual.

rovernut

#4 Post by rovernut »

I've been using Telegram for a couple of years and like it ok.
I do like there's non-secure chat sessions for everyday kind of stuff, like, "Hi, how're you doing?"
But for sensitive things there's a secure session where you can also messages to self-delete.

I tried Signal, mainly for phone calls, but couldn't get it working on my wife's phone. But we're going to be getting new phones so will probably try it again.
Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.