trinity running on my netbook :)

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

trinity running on my netbook :)

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-12-22 18:38

Crossposted to Kubuntu forums.

I had forgotten Trinity was a thing - an entire KDE 3.5 suite that I can run on my netbook. Clickable screenshots below, text below that :)

Got new-to-me laptop as an early xmas gift and to make a long, boring story short my Atom N270 netbook which had been running backups for the network and acting as a DLNA server got retired.

What to do with a perfectly good piece of hardware? Put KDE 3.5 on it :D

Someone mentioned Trinity here and I'd completely forgotten about that project; so I added the repo and installed the metapackage.

Setup was pretty much flawless using instructions for Sid that were buried a little deep in the documentation. Got one gripe, though - Stretch/Sid installs pull the entire stable package in as a dependency but you can't browse the archives because the stable repo is only mapped to the machine during install. Easy to fix so it's only a small grumble.

Out of the box with compositing on and conky running the machine uses about 23MB more RAM at idle than my fluxbox install on the same machine; by getting rid of the stuff I don't use and killing services I don't need I've got Trinity's RAM usage within 7MB of fluxbox at idle and Trinity is one heck of a lot more configurable.

The netbook has been repurposed again; gonna use it in the bedroom for the very few times I need to computer in the bedroom. Much easier to read than my phone :)

Anyway, linkage for those what might be interested - https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Have fun :)

edit: Giving credit where due it was Halivor who mentioned Trinity in this thread. I gots me a new project :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Re: trinity running on my netbook :)

Postby Hallvor » 2016-12-22 19:27

It looks very nice, and much better than my own. I don't think I've even changed the default wallpaper. :lol:

A decade ago, KDE 3 had a reputation for being bloated, but it wasn't all that bad once you started running KDE applications on it, because a larger amount of RAM was shared. On other desktop environments, RAM usage rose faster.

RAM usage with images on an Eee PC, 2GB RAM, compositing off:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=127436#p610031
Intel Core i5 3320-M CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000 graphics, 300 GB HDD, Debian Stretch (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby dasein » 2016-12-22 19:28

Just offering a shout-out to exe, which is a Devuan respin with TDE as its default desktop. Great for anyone who wants to avoid even a few niggling installation issues (added bonus: no systemd). I've tried it myself and was way impressed.

(I can't help but remember when folks thought KDE 3.5 was "bloated," and now it qualifies as "lightweight," while still being way more feature-rich than most so-called "lightweight" desktops. Plus ça change and all that.)
dasein

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-12-22 20:23

Hallvor wrote:A decade ago, KDE 3 had a reputation for being bloated, but it wasn't all that bad once you started running KDE applications on it, because a larger amount of RAM was shared. On other desktop environments, RAM usage rose faster.

I was a big fan of KDE3; dasein's point about the amount of configurability and functionality available in a small footprint is also a good one.

I'm gonna have to do some tweaking to get the touchpad to work properly; tapping doesn't work yet but the touchpad buttons do and the huge application menu needs to go on a diet but both should be easy fixes :)
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby dzz » 2016-12-23 13:21

My old 32 bit Sony Vaio netbook with TDE shows, at startup with htop running in a terminal, <100MB ram used.

I'm gonna have to do some tweaking to get the touchpad to work properly; tapping doesn't work yet

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

# Generic user script to enable synaptics touchpad (might work for alps)
# Change values to suit

synclient TapButton1=1 LBCornerButton=2 RBCornerButton=3 MaxTapTime=140 SingleTapTimeout=140 MaxDoubleTapTime=140

Place that in ~/.trinity/Autostart and chmod +x it. Same principle for other DE's. No need to mess with xorg.
dzz

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-12-23 14:14

dzz wrote:My old 32 bit Sony Vaio netbook with TDE shows, at startup with htop running in a terminal, <100MB ram used.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

# Generic user script to enable synaptics touchpad (might work for alps)
# Change values to suit

synclient TapButton1=1 LBCornerButton=2 RBCornerButton=3 MaxTapTime=140 SingleTapTimeout=140 MaxDoubleTapTime=140

Place that in ~/.trinity/Autostart and chmod +x it. Same principle for other DE's. No need to mess with xorg.

Yeah - synclient is the plan, I just haven't got to it yet. I normally use an external mouse on laptops but this one is gonna be touchpad-only :)

Right now I'm working on the right-click applications menu - it's a habit I seem to have acquired running *box; I really want my eight or ten most-used applications on a right-click desktop menu (and almost nothing else other than a logout dialog) and now that I've been spoiled by fluxbox and openbox I won't run a desktop without a decent right-click desktop menu.

Another thing it looks like I'm going to have to do is use xrandr to stretch the screen from 1024x600 to 1024x768 as there's at least two applications I use that have a dialog that's > 600 pixels high. Haven't decided yet, though - one of the applications is in Trinity's control panel (TDM configuration - but I can edit a text file easily) and the other is devede but I really don't see myself rendering video on a netbook, so it might be okay as is. Still playing with it :)

cheers -
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby n_hologram » 2016-12-25 04:18

I like the design philosophy a lot. How would this compare with XFCE4 in terms of performance and customization?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
n_hologram

Postby dasein » 2016-12-25 08:03

Try it and see. (exe installs nicely on a pendrive.)
dasein

Postby wizard10000 » 2016-12-25 08:27

n_hologram wrote:I like the design philosophy a lot. How would this compare with XFCE4 in terms of performance and customization?

It's been awhile since I ran XFCE for any real length of time but I will say that Trinity is more configurable than XFCE and about as lightweight as fluxbox or openbox.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby n_hologram » 2017-04-25 16:47

wizard10000 wrote:
n_hologram wrote:I like the design philosophy a lot. How would this compare with XFCE4 in terms of performance and customization?

It's been awhile since I ran XFCE for any real length of time but I will say that Trinity is more configurable than XFCE and about as lightweight as fluxbox or openbox.

I booted a live USB not long after posting and then forgot to reply. It worked pretty well! It also got me to test different KDE/QT projects, so that was eye-opening. I still prefer my XFCE environment, but this is a great, underappreciated project.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
n_hologram

Return to Offtopic