Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

trinity running on my netbook :)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: trinity running on my netbook :)

#1 Post by Hallvor »

It looks very nice, and much better than my own. I don't think I've even changed the default wallpaper. :lol:

A decade ago, KDE 3 had a reputation for being bloated, but it wasn't all that bad once you started running KDE applications on it, because a larger amount of RAM was shared. On other desktop environments, RAM usage rose faster.

RAM usage with images on an Eee PC, 2GB RAM, compositing off:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 36#p610031
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

dasein

#2 Post by dasein »

Just offering a shout-out to exe, which is a Devuan respin with TDE as its default desktop. Great for anyone who wants to avoid even a few niggling installation issues (added bonus: no systemd). I've tried it myself and was way impressed.

(I can't help but remember when folks thought KDE 3.5 was "bloated," and now it qualifies as "lightweight," while still being way more feature-rich than most so-called "lightweight" desktops. Plus ça change and all that.)

dzz

#3 Post by dzz »

My old 32 bit Sony Vaio netbook with TDE shows, at startup with htop running in a terminal, <100MB ram used.
I'm gonna have to do some tweaking to get the touchpad to work properly; tapping doesn't work yet

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Generic user script to enable synaptics touchpad (might work for alps)
# Change values to suit

synclient TapButton1=1 LBCornerButton=2 RBCornerButton=3 MaxTapTime=140 SingleTapTimeout=140 MaxDoubleTapTime=140
Place that in ~/.trinity/Autostart and chmod +x it. Same principle for other DE's. No need to mess with xorg.

n_hologram

#4 Post by n_hologram »

I like the design philosophy a lot. How would this compare with XFCE4 in terms of performance and customization?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

Try it and see. (exe installs nicely on a pendrive.)

n_hologram

#6 Post by n_hologram »

wizard10000 wrote:
n_hologram wrote:I like the design philosophy a lot. How would this compare with XFCE4 in terms of performance and customization?
It's been awhile since I ran XFCE for any real length of time but I will say that Trinity is more configurable than XFCE and about as lightweight as fluxbox or openbox.
I booted a live USB not long after posting and then forgot to reply. It worked pretty well! It also got me to test different KDE/QT projects, so that was eye-opening. I still prefer my XFCE environment, but this is a great, underappreciated project.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...