Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Distro comparison

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
michael7

Distro comparison

#1 Post by michael7 »

http://polishlinux.org/choose/comparison/

Very interesting site. Debian compares well to everything but that's no surprise. :-)
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

All those something vs something websites just talk about plain bulls**t, because if you really want to know what is best for you, you have to try both of them..

As an example, you are in a super market, you wanted to buy juice but now you aren't sure about which to buy: apple juice or orange juice? If you would start asking people in the super market about which is better (which is very unusual) then you would have alot of people saying that apple juice is better, but you will also most likely have many people tell you that orange juice is better. So, you have to buy both and taste them to be sure of which juice you are really into.

Oh, btw, I like orange juice more :P

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

thamarok wrote:Oh, btw, I like orange juice more :P
Well, you may *like* orange juice but there is no doubt that apple juice is *better*. If you don't know that you shouldn't be drinking juice in the first place but sticking to milk! Besides, orange juice is for people wanting to take the easy way out; anyone can squeeze some juice out of an orange. Apple juice on the other hand takes skill and dedication.

*lol*

Tina :lol:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Distro comparison

#4 Post by Lavene »

michael7 wrote:http://polishlinux.org/choose/comparison/

Very interesting site. Debian compares well to everything but that's no surprise. :-)
That site was actually not so bad. The comparison is not done based on someone's subjective opinion but on the actual official features of each distro it seems. A great way to quickly check the features of a distro... provided that the info is correct of course.

Tina

AgenT

#5 Post by AgenT »

Code: Select all

Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning "I can't install Debian".
While comparisons are not really all that useful, this website is accurate and up-to-date on information which is a surprise. Check Ubuntu vs. Debian for example. Debian gets a very low mark for bootup speed, which is true. However, the use of standard, as opposed to parallel boot, method makes it more stable. For whatever reason, my network card module tends to break randomly on systems that use parallel boot or other faster boot systems (like Ubuntu).

Ubuntu gets slack for non-free inclusion yet making it sound like its free. Good catch by the website creator.

For me, such categories as "software freedom status" were most useful. It is interesting to have a quick summary of all the distributions' use of freedom software, etc. What did surprise me is how poor internationalization is on some distributions.