Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Firefox and updates

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

[SOLVED]Firefox and updates

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I just downloaded Firefox from Mozilla, but did not install it, and am running it from a folder in my /home directory. It appears to work as expected and I no longer having the Yahoo email crashes issue I had with Firefox-ESR. What I am wondering is this: will Firefox update when in that folder or does it actually have to be installed in order to update? I suppose, when updates are available, I can always download the latest version and extract it to the same folder, but an update might be less hassle. Anybody have experience doing this?

And as a side note, I wanted to put Firefox on the XFCE launch bar but could not figure out how to do that, so what I did was put Firefox-ESR on the launch bar and changed the command line in the properties so it launches Firefox instead of Firefox-ESR. Just need the correct, and complete, path to the Firefox executable. In my case that is /home/john/Firefox/firefox/firefox
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-01-19 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

stevepusser

Re: Firefox and updates

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You should be able to use its updater as the standard user, since you have it in a local directory.
MX Linux packager and developer

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:You should be able to use its updater as the standard user, since you have it in a local directory.
Thanks Steve. Hopefully, when the time comes, it will work that way.

deborah-and-ian

#4 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Isn't using the Debian Mozilla Team Repo to get the latest Firefox more convenient?
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

deborah-and-ian wrote:Isn't using the Debian Mozilla Team Repo to get the latest Firefox more convenient?
I don't know if it is more,or less, convenient. Does the Debian Mozilla Team Repo load the latest Firefox directly from Mozilla?
Downloading directly from Mozilla ensures the latest version, and if it can be easily updated then no problem. It's not difficult. But, yes, doing it the way you suggest would be more in line with the Debian way of doing things. Actually, I was not even aware of the Debian Mozilla Team Repo method.

Thanks for the tip. And as a side note, I have found that the latest version of Firefox, downloaded directly from Mozilla, is WAAAYYYY faster than the latest Firefox-ESR from the Debian repos and doesn't crash with Yahoo email. It even loads Gmail faster than does Chromium.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ticojohn wrote:And as a side note, I have found that the latest version of Firefox, downloaded directly from Mozilla, is WAAAYYYY faster than the latest Firefox-ESR from the Debian repos
I call shenanigans!

I use FF version 50.1.0 in Arch (bspwm/xfce4-panel desktop) and firefox-esr in my BunsenLabs systems (Openbox/tint2) and I can tell no significant difference between the two in respect of performance.

Would it be possible to post some objective benchmarks?

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
deadbang

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ticojohn wrote:And as a side note, I have found that the latest version of Firefox, downloaded directly from Mozilla, is WAAAYYYY faster than the latest Firefox-ESR from the Debian repos
I call shenanigans!
Got me, didn't ya? :P I wouldn't even know how to go about taking performance measurements. I can only say, at this point, that when I open Firefox (50.1.0) it seems to open faster than Firefox-ESR and that when I browse to different sites they seem to open faster with Firefox than the same sites with Firefox-ESR.

So, how do I take measurements? Is there some kind of performance tool in Firefox? Perhaps I ought to take a look.

UPDATE: Okay. So I found how to measure the performance on Firefox. No problems with Firefox 50.1.0. However, with Firefox-ESR when I try to record the performance I get a message that says something like
real time measurements disabled in non multi-process Firefox
. HMMM! Not sure how to fix that.

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

ticojohn wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
I call shenanigans!
Got me, didn't ya? :P I wouldn't even know how to go about taking performance measurements. I can only say, at this point, that when I open Firefox (50.1.0) it seems to open faster than Firefox-ESR and that when I browse to different sites they seem to open faster with Firefox than the same sites with Firefox-ESR.

So, how do I take measurements? Is there some kind of performance tool in Firefox? Perhaps I ought to take a look.

UPDATE: Okay. So I found how to measure the performance on Firefox. No problems with Firefox 50.1.0. However, with Firefox-ESR when I try to record the performance I get a message that says something like
real time measurements disabled in non multi-process Firefox
. HMMM! Not sure how to fix that.
Here is the exact quote from Firefox-ESR when I try to measure performance
Realtime recording data disabled on non-multiprocess Firefox

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
I call shenanigans!
Okay, I was finally able to enable Firefox-ESR for multiprocess. When I run the performance test, the one thing that stands out is that it is recording an average of 31.7 fps. With Firefox 50.1.0 I see around 42.5 fps . Doesn't that kind of imply a fairly substantial performance increase (like around 35%)? Oh, and I had both versions reload a web page (Google News) and Firefox reload the page about 30% faster.

Now I know you're kind of skeptical, without seeing the actual data, so I am going to try and get you actual screenshots of the performance tests.

deborah-and-ian

#10 Post by deborah-and-ian »

ticojohn wrote: Okay, I was finally able to enable Firefox-ESR for multiprocess. When I run the performance test, the one thing that stands out is that it is recording an average of 31.7 fps. With Firefox 50.1.0 I see around 42.5 fps . Doesn't that kind of imply a fairly substantial performance increase (like around 35%)? Oh, and I had both versions reload a web page (Google News) and Firefox reload the page about 30% faster.

Now I know you're kind of skeptical, without seeing the actual data, so I am going to try and get you actual screenshots of the performance tests.
You're comparing 2 different versions, but you claimed there were performance differences between the same version of Firefox from the Mozilla repos and upstream. Please make performance tests of Firefox 50.x from the repos and the latest Firefox from upstream. Thanks.

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

http://browserbench.org/, perhaps?

EDIT: also, disable e10s on firefox-esr, it is not stable on that version.
deadbang

ticojohn

#12 Post by ticojohn »

deborah-and-ian wrote: You're comparing 2 different versions, but you claimed there were performance differences between the same version of Firefox from the Mozilla repos and upstream. Please make performance tests of Firefox 50.x from the repos and the latest Firefox from upstream. Thanks.

You're correct. That's all I had to go by as I have not installed 50.x from the repos. So we'll just let this go and mark it as a fubar by the OP.

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

OK, I am really not at all happy about this but here goes...

From left to right: firefox-esr (jessie version), Firefox 50.1.0 (direct from Mozilla) & Google Chrome Stable (direct from the big G).

Poor old firefox-esr had crashes for pretty much all of the scripts and wouldn't play all of them fully :?

One final note: the Mozilla FF is the Windows version running under WINE.

I'm off to have a little cry now...

:cry:

EDIT: hold on, I've just remembered that I'm running firefox-esr under firejail and that is probably skewing the test results down.

I will update later...

EDIT2: the score was the same but the tests didn't crash :(
deadbang

deborah-and-ian

#14 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:OK, I am really not at all happy about this but here goes...

From left to right: firefox-esr (jessie version), Firefox 50.1.0 (direct from Mozilla) & Google Chrome Stable (direct from the big G).

Poor old firefox-esr had crashes for pretty much all of the scripts and wouldn't play all of them fully :?

One final note: the Mozilla FF is the Windows version running under WINE.

I'm off to have a little cry now...

:cry:

EDIT: hold on, I've just remembered that I'm running firefox-esr under firejail and that is probably skewing the test results down.

I will update later...

EDIT2: the score was the same but the tests didn't crash :(
These results are logical, as Firefox ESR is, what, like version 45? That was the beginning of multithreading. Version 50 has proper multithreading. I'm still waiting for Firefox 50 from the mozilla repos and from upstream.

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

fireExit

#15 Post by fireExit »

Firefox improved with version 53 (nightly channel) but still miles away from chrome stable.
Image Image

deborah-and-ian

#16 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Chrome/Chromium has had multithreading since a couple of years now, so it makes sense that it's better than Firefox in this regard.

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD