Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A few thoughts on Deepin

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
qyron

A few thoughts on Deepin

#1 Post by qyron »

I decided I would give a go at Deepin. After seeing a few screen shots of it and finding out it was based off the testing branch of Debian, I decided it was worth the work.

The nightmare begins
It was somewhat troublesome to get the ISO to install the OS for start and that alone should had served me as warning shot. No .torrent link available and the direct download link was horribly slow, with 8+ hours of expected download time. Mirrors were somewhat faster but the download kept breaking.

Brace yourself
After several attempts and hours of (im)patient waiting I finally had 2.2GB worth of an ISO image. Which did not match up with the MD5 checksum. Back to the gates.

Finally!
With a good copy of the Deepin OS available I was ready to give it a try. Strangely enough, I wasn't able to load the distro image to a thumb drive with MultiSystem and I had previously been able to load images that were supposedly unsupported with no major malfunctions to report so I was forced to burn the image to a disk.
This was my second warning shot.

Let's get dirty
I was going to install it side-by-side with another distro and, to find out how powerful the installer would be, I did not get in advance a blank partition for the thing. Being Debian based, I expected to find a well rounded installer (even if well hidden in an advanced mode), capable of clearing space for itself like Debian allows me to do. Oh, was I wrong... Instead, the OS just wants to jump and grab the entire HDD to itself. There are no partitioning tools available.
Abort install.

Things are starting to get fishy...
After setting aside a few gigabytes worth of room in the hard drive, I went about to set up Deepin in the machine. When it came to selecting the keyboard layout, this time, the installer did not assumed the correct layout after a few attempts. Third warning shot...
After clearing the bushes, the installer takes over and automagically does its work. Everything seems very clean and well polished. But somehow, the never ending cycle of self promotion images and catchy phrases feels oddly familiar.

You're on your own now, kid.
The login screen was immediately too Windows-like. With the added detail of a flower as user icon. Jab.

Although eye catching, I immediately noticed some changes regarding defaults but every distro tends to mix and match the default applications. The icons are actually nicely drawn (look at all the pretty colors!!!) and the workspace is clean and well organized but I didn't like the floating bar visual. Straight.
Then I opened the menu and Ubuntu came to mind, with all icons spread out on the screen. No categories, no nothing. Jab

After fiddling a bit around I found the side bar with all the settings available there. A Windows look alike, with the added bonus of having a nice disclaimer out in the open stating the software rights are registered to a company. Hook.

Get out there and fight, you bum!
The though that I could beat it to submission if I could get my hands to a terminal came to mind but I wouldn't be so lucky. Super user? You wish.
Where are my standard apps? Deepin Store? What? But is this a Linux distro or a shopping experience? Lots of eye candy all over, web based apps galore... Uppercut.
Lets just check the production suite. Wait... No LibreOffice? Suckerpunch
Knockout

You're done for. Get out of there.
As a more advanced user, Deepin is not for me. It becomes more distracting than anything else. The underlying paradigm seems and feels chaotic and made up from bits and pieces borrowed from somewhere and anywhere else but GNU/Linux standards.
Opting for having STEAM, web apps and other commercial software preloaded was another minus. Kingsoft Office instead of LibreOffice was a punch in the eye. Presenting the available software in a storefront-like visual was strange, to be polite.

Would I recommend it?
For the average windows user newcomer to the dark side (or is it the light side?) of the fence, Yes. Its pretty friendly looking and the visual is quite entrancing.
For a more demanding and saner user? No. Because of previously stated.

Resource wise, I was running it on a Celeron E3400 with 4GB of RAM and it felt pretty snappy.

To be fair, I must admit I wasn't really in the mood for deep diving into a new distro so I'll eventually go back to it (right after I try Hydrogen) and give another go.

Anyone else with two cents to add to the pot?
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

kedaha

Re: A few thoughts on Deepin

#2 Post by kedaha »

I was amused to read your post; your description reminded me of my Android mobile phone with all its proprietary apps available through GooglePlay, which I don't want to use.
A relative of mine recently showed me a distro called "elementaryOS", described as "a fast and open replacement for Windows and macOS" and is based on Debian and Ubunto. It sounds a bit similar to the distro you describe. An OS entirely free of proprietary software for desktop use is my ideal — so I'm not interested in such distros; however, a 100% free software distro based on Debian, similar to these commercial spin-offs, I think might be welcomed by non-technical users.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

eor2004

#3 Post by eor2004 »

Kudos to you qyron, the post was amusing and very well written, I liked the way you wrote the story, review or experience you had with deepin, me think you have a good writers skill. :)
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Nah, I opened their web page and saw Gnome 3 ... stayed there for a little too long, my little dog saw it and piddled on my toe.

No_windows

#5 Post by No_windows »

Segfault wrote:Nah, I opened their web page and saw Gnome 3 ... stayed there for a little too long, my little dog saw it and piddled on my toe.
I thought Deepin used their own desktop, called Deepin?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

Deepin does use its own Desktop. It is also available for other distros.
About Deepin desktop environment (DDE)
Deepin desktop is a lightweight, elegant desktop environment. It was originally created for Linux Deepin distribution. Now, DDE will support most Linux operating systems such as Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE etc.
- https://www.ostechnix.com/install-deepi ... rch-linux/

vicshrike

#7 Post by vicshrike »

Thanks qyron! Now I do not need to waste thoughts on Deepin.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

i saw some posts for deepin over at LQ, and they're kindof in the same vein as op.
IF you manage to install it, it doesn't take long before everything is falling apart at the seams.

along with elementary os, it seems to cater to a particular type of user who wants to get a really good-looking distro that is also lightweight and userfriendly (oh how i learned to hate those keywords).

interesting detail about that "disclaimer out in the open stating the software rights are registered to a company", thanks for spotting that for us, qyron.