Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

2017 the Year of the Linux Desktop

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

2017 the Year of the Linux Desktop

#1 Post by bester69 »

For the first time, a few months ago, with the jump to KDE5 plus Stretch, i got the feeling my Linux desktop was a solid, mature, a free bug system. That wasn't the case in KDE4-Jessie/Wheezy, where I'd got some unstable graphics issues, and perhaps some desktop crashes as well.

I've been following recentlly news about linux desktops, and I've seeing new DE generation plus new kernels improvements are opening the doors to many people who see how its computer gets obsolescence with others SO's. I'd read some Mac users are doing the switch cos they dont want/need to buy a new mac computer, and they feel as well ubuntu/mint or others ones, are now enought good/stable desktops to do the swicth.

So in my opinion, 2017 is going to be the year Linux desktops (Ubuntu-unity, Mint, KDE5, Arch derivates, debian, etc); allof them are consolidating themselves, and opening to known for regular users, who everyday decide to install a Linux system in their Old computers, or not such an old ones.

I'd say in one or two year most of the homes will have a Linux system installed around the house,

So The year of Linux desktop its already started even when people still doesnt known.. You will see. :wink:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

Re: 2017 the Year of the Linux Desktop

#2 Post by edbarx »

bester69 wrote:a free bug system
How did you get that? Software development is like evolution, it never gets ready...
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:
How did you get that? Software development is like evolution, it never gets ready...
This year, with KDE5 and Stretch, i realised I felt myself for first time very confortable with linux, im not getting any crashes and everithing feels smooth and stable in my computer, i got used to linux and KDE which is my choosen DE.

This is My System:
- KDE5 + Streetch
- LTS Ubuntu's kernel 4.4.x
- BTRFS filesystem
- Opera Browser

I think i've got all i need in linux..
My main Apps:
- Okular (pdf reader)
- Gwenview (image viewer)
- Google Earth
- Kmail (mail client)
- Libreoffice
- mpv, vlc, kodi (Video Players)
- Audacious, Streamtunner2+mpd (Audio player)
- Gimp, Inkscape, Krita (Image drawing)

My Propietary Apps working with playonlinux:
- OneNote2010 (Notes book)
- Visio2010 (Diagramming and vector graphics application)
- Acrobat 11 (pdf edition)
- Autocad2005
- Picasa3 (Managament pictures)
- AbbyFineReader10 (OCR recognizer)
Others:
MEGA (client cloud)
WindowsXP (virtualbox)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yeah, 'cos otherwise they might ask for their money back, right?

:mrgreen:

EDIT: typo
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2017-01-14 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

This year, with KDE5 and Stretch, i realised I felt myself for first time very confortable with linux,
Interesting, the same changes that are making this guy feel "more comfortable"
with linux, are the changes that made me decide to keep using Debian 7 as long
as I can keep it secure, and start learning about OpenBsd, and other BSD's,
or Minix, for my future OS's,....
Oh well, I guess that is what the Linux and Debian developers are trying to do,
"attract" the Windows malware users, and hope they are happy with their success.
Forunately there are options for people like me, that prefer something different.

Zill

#6 Post by Zill »

bester69 wrote:... i realised I felt myself for first time very confortable with linux, im not getting any crashes and everithing feels smooth and stable in my computer ...
I quite agree with your conclusion but I disagree with your timing! I hit this point around ten years ago and have been running pure Linux systems ever since.

I learnt long ago to stay well clear of crash-happy KDE and so my rock-solid Linux systems (with XFCE, Mate and OpenBox) do everything I want with no problems at all. Having said that, I would never dream of running a FrankenDebian system! ;-)

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

Zill wrote:
bester69 wrote:... i realised I felt myself for first time very confortable with linux, im not getting any crashes and everithing feels smooth and stable in my computer ...
I quite agree with your conclusion but I disagree with your timing! I hit this point around ten years ago and have been running pure Linux systems ever since.

I learnt long ago to stay well clear of crash-happy KDE and so my rock-solid Linux systems (with XFCE, Mate and OpenBox) do everything I want with no problems at all. Having said that, I would never dream of running a FrankenDebian system! ;-)
I still doesnt know very well what really means a FrankenDebian, anyway i stopped mixing weird repositories cos i already got my way to set my typicall installation. The only thing different i do its to install ubuntu's kernels, I dont know why i think doing this im being smarter than others, :mrgreen:

qyron

#8 Post by qyron »

You should consider proof-reading yourself before posting. You're cracking up more and more each post you do. A spellchecker would be of great use, too. Consider those.

Regarding "FrankenDebian"... Why would you use kernels from Ubuntu repositories just to pile on top of it software from Debian repositories? Not to mention proprietary software.
If you're in that big of a need for cutting/bleeding edge kernels, migrate completely to Ubuntu and stick there. You'll also have earlier access to more recent versions of pretty much every single piece of software and then some Debian makes available in its repositories, eventually. I believe Ubuntu tends to works from the SID stack so... FrankenDebian is a actually a pretty good and exact moniker for your system.

Linux has been a pretty good desktop alternative for quite some time now. I've been using it for about ten years now and spreading the word around for as long as that to friends, family and any other person willing to listen. If not the full blown GNU/Linux speech, I at least try to advocate for FOSS and with some pretty good results, if I'm allowed to say so.

GNU/Linux in whatever incarnation (distro) it appears tends to focus on some kind of target audience. Ubuntu tried the general public about 7 years ago and almost had a success, shipping with EeePC machines but it was a short lived enterprise. RedHat is a commercially sound distro. SUSE is another one that can claim a fair share of users, personal and enterprise level. But in the end line, money doesn't see potential in FOSS/GNU/Linux because the typical investor tends to have its focus on an assured cash back from an investment not long term return. Atop this, there is the problem regarding leverage from the great white shark in the pond... If we could assure the industry had to stick to universal standards, independently established, open to public review and overseen by independent entities, with new standards/innovations proposals being subject to independent review, that would make things a little more even but that is pure utopia.

Bug free...? You got me stumped there. How? Where?

And a final thought: when I came to Debian, I was a complete noob regarding Linux and mostly about anything regarding operating systems. I admit I was the typical dumb windows user and proud of it.
The transition to Linux was made less painful exactly _because_ of Debian. I went by OpenSUSE, Caixa Mágica, Ubuntu before coming to where I am today. I found the exact mix of muscle, challenge and KISS approach necessary to stimulate my curiosity and need to learn to deal with the OS. Even though I'm still learning today (and will never stop) I'm more confident on my skills because of it than I ever was. But I was available to learn and explore.
Debian is not (or wasn't ) about user friendliness. It's about stability, reliability and security.

Off-shoots are targeted at other audiences - as they should - but that does not mean they will succeed. But hope is the last to die. Yours is way up there and I would be glad to heat my hat in recognizing I was wrong in a few years but I tend to be more cautious and skeptic. There's a long road to make before Linux can claim a lion's share to the end user general public.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

qyron wrote:You should consider proof-reading yourself before posting. You're cracking up more and more each post you do. A spellchecker would be of great use, too. Consider those.
Yes, you're right, i think im going backwards :lol: , I shoud use a spellchecker before to post, sorry for that...
by the way, ive already come home 2:45 Am, i was at party time, so i hope i doesnt make many bugs.. :mrgreen:

Regarding "FrankenDebian"... Why would you use kernels from Ubuntu repositories just to pile on top of it software from Debian repositories? Not to mention proprietary software.
If you're in that big of a need for cutting/bleeding edge kernels, migrate completely to Ubuntu and stick there. You'll also have earlier access to more recent versions of pretty much every single piece of software and then some Debian makes available in its repositories, eventually. I believe Ubuntu tends to works from the SID stack so... FrankenDebian is a actually a pretty good and exact moniker for your system.
im not agree here, debian is my system, i dont understand ubuntu, i find most easy linux system debian,but as i can install any ubuntu kernel with dpkg, so what s up?, it works great!!, you shoud try
Bug free...? You got me stumped there. How? Where?
ght
perhaps, is because im a spanish man, bug free, means almost bug free, you know what i meant, or i thought so..
And a final thought: when I came to Debian, I was a complete noob regarding Linux and mostly about anything regarding operating systems. I admit I was the typical dumb windows user and proud of it.
The transition to Linux was made less painful exactly _because_ of Debian. I went by OpenSUSE, Caixa Mágica, Ubuntu before coming to where I am today. I found the exact mix of muscle, challenge and KISS approach necessary to stimulate my curiosity and need to learn to deal with the OS. Even though I'm still learning today (and will never stop) I'm more confident on my skills because of it than I ever was. But I was available to learn and explore.
Debian is not (or wasn't ) about user friendliness. It's about stability, reliability and security.
i dont know why people say debian is not most friendly system, i find it otherwhise, to me , main reason for using debian is not stability but control, and easily maintenance.
Off-shoots are targeted at other audiences - as they should - but that does not mean they will succeed. But hope is the last to die. Yours is way up there and I would be glad to heat my hat in recognizing I was wrong in a few years but I tend to be more cautious and skeptic. There's a long road to make before Linux can claim a lion's share to the end user general public.
you'll see in one year, linux is starting to enter in most homes and education.. Most of people nowdays has a computer and has informatic knowledge, so they install a linux, even touhght only to try it, so in the same way most of 2000's computer are getting obsolescence, so people decide to install linux before to getting away with them. it's like all variables are getting in line to benefit linux system.

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

bester69 wrote:I'd say in one or two year most of the homes will have a Linux system installed around the house,
In order to have a computer with Linux on it, you have to install it yourself. But why would you do that when computers come pre-installed with Windows, that is also "bug free". Almost everyone I've ever met hasn't even heard of Linux.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

alan stone

#11 Post by alan stone »

GarryRicketson wrote:Interesting, the same changes that are making this guy feel "more comfortable"
with linux, are the changes that made me decide to ... start learning about OpenBsd, and other BSD's,
..., for my future OS's,....
Ditto.
bester69 wrote:So in my opinion, 2017 is going to be the year Linux desktops
With what's cooking in other areas, I very much doubt a lot a people will care whether or not 2017, or later, is the year of the Linux desktop.

Nili

#12 Post by Nili »

I still do not want to ruin your happiness with questions or query bester69,
If "FrankenDebian" makes you happy, so if you fix yourself the mess, well, i hope you enjoy as much you can your OS.

Kind Regards,
Nili
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

qyron

#13 Post by qyron »

There's just one thing I see as positive regarding Linux becoming known to the public and that is exactly becoming mainstream. I go apeshit when I hear people talking about Linux as if using it is some sort of privilege reserved to a chosen elite. Its a sickening attitude. Considering the genesis of GNU/Linux was to make an open/free alternative to everyone regarding the software people can/could use, that line of thought tends to upset my stomach.

Users like Bester tends to land on the bad side of the pond: the fauna that usually f*cks up and then complains without a single clue about what they are talking about (although I do give some credit to Bester for having a serious pair of cojones and going full on frankendebian and succeeding) but that oes not make the entirety of the zoo.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

Ah, the year of the Linux desktop . . . delusion runs deep. That one phrase points to the downfall of the best OS on the planet. Be careful what you wish for . . .
May the FORK be with you!

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

golinux wrote:That one phrase points to the downfall of the best OS on the planet
No, OS/2 died when IBM caved to pressure from MSFT :mrgreen:

(Just another pointless, content-free, "in my opinion" thread from FDN's fapper-in-chief :roll:)

golinux

#16 Post by golinux »

dasein wrote:
golinux wrote:That one phrase points to the downfall of the best OS on the planet
No, OS/2 died when IBM caved to pressure from MSFT :mrgreen:
I don't go back that far with computers.
dasein wrote:(Just another pointless, content-free, "in my opinion" thread . . .
Yup. So nice of you to notice. :)
May the FORK be with you!