Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debsums best tool for disasters

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

debsums best tool for disasters

#1 Post by bester69 »

You should try this tool, its really best thing to repair any mess you get yourself with your system.

I was messing with mime directory /usr/share/mime ,so i remove it, and then i discovered kalarm stopped working, it was crashing, i spent some hours trying to figure it out what was happening with akonadi-kalarm service (at first i thought it might be some upgrade), so i tried a lot of things, i searched on internet and i didint find any solution, then i try to apply a btrfs snaphot and then restored a home backup to check if i could recover all my akonadi modules working (kmail database, kalarm, etc), it didnt work.

Finally i thought it could have something to be with the mime folder i removed, so, i applyed debsums to my system and it reported me some few packages whose mime file was missing, i reinstalled all of them and the problem was fixed.

i love this tool, you'll never need again to reinstall a fresh system installation! :P, it will keep fresh and clean with debsums..
Last edited by bester69 on 2017-02-10 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

Re: debsums best tool for disasters

#2 Post by phenest »

I'm not surprised removing that directory would have an effect somewhere. Why were you "messing" with it in the first place?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

There's an old saying about an ounce of prevention...
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

phenest wrote:I'm not surprised removing that directory would have an effect somewhere. Why were you "messing" with it in the first place?
Its about the always annoyng slow upgrade with the "shared-mime-info", i was fed up with this problem, so searched for any workaround on google, I did a copy backup of that folder, but i deleted too soon, once i thought it wasn't breaking anything.

I m not sure if this problem is kind of a unresolved bug..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

Disasters?! :shock: If you like tinkering, use a full system backup like what fsarchiver can do.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

edbarx wrote:Disasters?! :shock: If you like tinkering, use a full system backup like what fsarchiver can do.
i love fsarchiver, i've used one or two times in the past, now, i dont need it anymore, i'm using debsums and btrfs snapshots. Its almost impossible that i need to reinstall anymore, at least a hardware fail take place.

regards.

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

bester69 wrote:Its about the always annoyng slow upgrade with the "shared-mime-info",
Maybe it's because you keep "messing" with things.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D