Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Another rant

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mystified

Another rant

#1 Post by mystified »

Just want to get this off my chest. I'm still shocked. I was trying to install another distro that I had never tried on my other laptop. I read as much as I could kept this laptop open so I could follow the wiki. Did my md5sum so I knew that it was correct and started my installation. The other laptop I had gotten from someone and all I knew was that windows was borked and they didn't want to mess with it so they gave it to me.

anyway it was all cli but one of the problems I was having was that I was install from a live dvd and everytime this laptop went to sleep the only way to get it working again was to restart. so one of my first questions was at what point could I pickup from the last installation attempt. Anyway they never responded to that but I asked my question and they answered but they said it wasn't possible! So meanwhile I had to start again and this time I got a different message.

I always google and search forums before asking questions. Anyway now I had a different question. They started berating me and telling me to do this and that but it was several users so I posted the output but I missed one. They told me they couldn't help if I didn't provide all the information. So I went back and looked and posted the outcome. They were very rude and treated me like an idiot and never answered my questions. I know I'm not the most knowledgable linux user there is but I did use gentoo for 5 years and this was back when you did stage1 or stage2 installs so I'm comfortable with cli. They even told me I was wrong at one point so I quoted from the well documented wiki. No response to that but they just kept berating me.

I've been on many forums and have tried to grow a thick skin so I kept on. Next thing I saw was a post saying that they were not there to hold anyone's hand and this distro wasn't for everyone and that they were deleting the thread! And they did. I've been on many forums and was even a mod and then an admin on one of them and that never would have happened. If they didn't like my responses they could just have quit posting. anyway rant over.
Last edited by mystified on 2017-02-24 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Another rant

#2 Post by arochester »

Your "rant" is dense and difficult to follow.

Please use your Enter key, in future, and break things up into easier chunks.

Who are "they"?

mystified

#3 Post by mystified »

arochester wrote:Your "rant" is dense and difficult to follow.

Please use your Enter key, in future, and break things up into easier chunks.

Who are "they"?
Is that better? I purposely left out who "they" were because I didn't want to offend anyone that uses that distro. It was simply a rant and nothing more.

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

I saw your support request on another forum, you post there from 2002, BTW. You marked it SOLVED over there and then asked the same question here ...
Anyhow, in Linux business at least since 2002, 5 years of Gentoo. People who potentially are there to help you assume you do your own thinking and use some logic when interpreting logs and doing troubleshooting on your own - before you request help. This is not happening, you do not do your homework, you even do not provide information your helpers ask for.
What do you expect considering all above? They think you are a lazy SOB and tell you to go to the hell.

mystified

#5 Post by mystified »

Wow nm. I wasn't expecting to be attacked' You're talking about the wrong forum anyway. Not to make excuses but I was in a major accident several years. I suffered from head injuries so I was unable to use linux for quite a few years. I started using linux again a little over a month ago as part of my rehabilitation, If I'm that problematic I won't ask questions anymore. I didn't start this to be attacked. Would a mod please delete this thread for me please?

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

I find it rather humorous, people start a "rant", but as soon as anyone disagrees, or tries to point out that maybe there is another side to it all, then they rant some more, and cry "fowl" , saying they are being "attacked".
And want to remove or delete the thread,...
If one looks in a mirror, but don't like what they see, Do you break the mirror ?

Suggestion to future "ranters", if you do not want to "be attacked", or have any feedback or comments to your rant, unless they agree with you, then perhaps the best method would be to start a blog, and do not have a comment option,..or moderate the comments and only allow the comments you like,and want to accept.
If you do not want the public to make comments, some of which might not be as nice as you would like,... I know, what the OP was hoping for was, something like :
"Oh, poor baby, these forums are so horrible, and they treated you so badly,.."
So what, ? and who really cares ?
So now the OP expects the moderators, or admins to remove the rant they started, and remove all the comments, that others made,..simply wasting every bodies time,
I mean why post a comment, just to have the thread removed, ?...
So now what, ? If the admins do not remove the topic, is the OP going to throw a temper tantrum, and edit their posts, deleting all the text, like some have done in the past ?
"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, and I'm going to go eat worms",...
by mystified » If I'm that problematic I won't ask questions any more.
Give me a break, you should have thought of that before posting, but any way now maybe you know better ?
To start with the original post was not a question, but a "rant",..
by mystified » Not to make excuses but I was in a major accident several years----snip---
So why bother telling us this, ? To make a excuse ?,...
Give me a break,... come on now,...let's try to be honest,.. I mean be upfront,..
example:
" I apologize, if my rant is not appropriate, I had a head injury and sometimes I get this way"
If you want to try to use that for a excuse, be up front about it,...if you don't want to use it as a excuse, then don't even mention it.
and I apologize , if the OP sees this as a "attack", but it isn't,.....it is advise,..
If you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror, do like I do,. don't look in the mirror,...( I used to be "more pleasant" to look at, what I see now, is a ugly ,wrinkled and shrivelled up old man,..not very nice to look at,..) , but others do like to look in the mirror, so don't ask others to break the mirror, or smash it yourself, be cause others do enjoy looking at it, and seeing what they see,...
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-02-24 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

mystified

#7 Post by mystified »

well here's my last post. screw you I wont be back.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

mystified wrote:I wont be back.
Promises, promises. :mrgreen:

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

World is like a mirror. What you do comes back to you, sooner or later, in one way or another. Granted, there are times when you stumble across a moron, but then you will be rewarded elsewhere compensating in full for occasional bad experience. In other words, it pays off being thoughtful and polite.
In this [cruel] world you must be smart or pleasant, I've been smart for years, I recommend pleasant.
The above quote belongs to a friend of a six-foot, three-and-a-half-inch tall invisible rabbit Harvey. Linky for those interested.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Can you find a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area? If you have a disability, you may find it better to have an actual person with you at one of their meetings to help with problems.
MX Linux packager and developer

pawRoot

#11 Post by pawRoot »

This forum is so cruel I told ya :twisted: :lol:

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

well here's my last post. screw you I wont be back.
why you mad though?

http://photobucket.com/images/why%20you ... 0though%3f#!
resigned by AI ChatGPT

alan stone

#13 Post by alan stone »

To whom it may concern: Life demystified. :wink:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by Hallvor »

alan stone wrote:To whom it may concern: Life demystified. :wink:
This should be mandatory reading for millennials. :lol:
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

phenest

#15 Post by phenest »

stevepusser wrote:Can you find a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area? If you have a disability, you may find it better to have an actual person with you at one of their meetings to help with problems.
I hope they read this before they went. It would've been my advice too.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

phenest

#16 Post by phenest »

GarryRicketson wrote:If you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror, do like I do,. don't look in the mirror,...( I used to be "more pleasant" to look at, what I see now, is a ugly ,wrinkled and shrivelled up old man,..not very nice to look at
If your post is anything to go by, I think it's the way you give "advice" that stops you looking in the mirror, not your looks.

Try to be kinder when someone says they have learning difficulties. Notice that it was after your post they said they won't be back. Nice one Garry.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

arochester wrote: ..
Who are "they"?
I know who are "they" , they belong to dark side of force :mrgreen:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

mystified wrote:well here's my last post. screw you I wont be back.
it seems that was indeed person's last post.
i wonder if they gave up on debian altogether because of gary ricketson?
that would be unwise.
judge the distro by its development, not by its forum.

Segfault

#19 Post by Segfault »

If he gave up then it is because it was over his head.

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

If he gave up then it is because it was over his head.
good point, but no he just 'thinks' it's over his head. I did the same thing with my first linux knoppix 4, 'screw this' it's too hard, nothing makes sense... knoppix 4 it's still over my head though.

I'll bet a six pack he'll be back in a month, because linux is just that addictive. And Garry gives good answers IMO, and represents the forum pretty well on a lot of tough questions.
resigned by AI ChatGPT