Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

#46 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

millpond wrote:Its all about choice
I disagree

Also:
mhat wrote:The only places for icons is in a church, a burning church at that.
:mrgreen:
deadbang

debiman

#47 Post by debiman »

dasein wrote:Obligatory link to DistroWatch's "preview" of GNOME 4 (from 2012): https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 402#humour
By Jove, that was hilarious!
you really have to read most of it yourself, but here are some highlights:
I was soon greeted by the cheerful GNOME 4 default screen which, I can confidentially say, has the cleanest interface I've ever seen on my monitor except when it's turned off.
GNOME developers have really outdone themselves this time. It's obvious that they've given the whole "desktop" metaphor a complete rethink. Gone are menus, icons, task bars, minimize and maximize buttons, the archaic Start button, wallpapers or even a command prompt. Rather, we are presented with a pleasant default blue screen (note that the color is non-configurable). It is the bold simplicity of this approach that makes GNOME 4 so powerful.

Advocates for disability rights are particularly enthused by GNOME 4, believing that it could be the first GUI system that puts seeing and totally blind users on an equal footing.

As yet, there is no icon, menu or keystroke combination to turn off the machine. However, this does not mean that shutting down is difficult. Indeed, on a desktop computer, all you need to shut down is pull out the power cord from the wall socket. Sadly, the on/off button is disabled in GNOME 4, but the good news is that the developers have promised to add this feature to GNOME 5.

One of the first and most surprising issues to pop up soon after the first preview of the GNOME 4 desktop came in the form of a Cease and Desist letter from Microsoft's lawyers: "The design of the GNOME 4 default screen bears an uncanny resemblance to a patented design that Microsoft has used since at least 1995."
etc.
yay!

acewiza

#48 Post by acewiza »

What goes around, comes around? :lol:
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

pcalvert

#49 Post by pcalvert »

dust hill resident wrote: The client side decorations. All the Gnome apps have been redesigned to use them, and I think they're absolutely awful. Since I updated to debian jessie, I replaced the few Gnome apps I was still using with alternatives.
I don't know what "client side decorations" are, but I absolutely hate the new, spartan, dumbed-down, mobile phone UI -- the one in which menus and buttons with descriptive text are replaced with buttons that contain only symbols. And often when I hover the mouse cursor over a button, nothing happens. Sorry, but I'm not interested in playing the guess-what-this-button-does game.

In the past I used gedit, and liked it. Because I am now using Xfce, I haven't used gedit in several years. Recently I installed it, and when I saw the new UI, I immediately uninstalled it. I'd rather use Geany.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

debiman

#50 Post by debiman »

pcalvert wrote:I don't know what "client side decorations" are
oops, it seems you missed the juicier parts of the gnome-bashing then :D
I absolutely hate the new, spartan, dumbed-down, mobile phone UI -- the one in which menus and buttons with descriptive text are replaced with buttons that contain only symbols. And often when I hover the mouse cursor over a button, nothing happens. Sorry, but I'm not interested in playing the guess-what-this-button-does game.
the default "Press OK to continue" has been replaced by "Hit the screeen with your fist to continue".

millpond

#51 Post by millpond »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
millpond wrote:Its all about choice
I disagree

Also:
mhat wrote:The only places for icons is in a church, a burning church at that.
Linux is of course, merely a kernel. Written and controlle by a beer-bellied Finn.

Whats meant of course is GNU/Linux mostly controlled by a whale-bellied Messiah.
Who does indeed have a whole religion based on choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACS1188H9w

Innovate

#52 Post by Innovate »

acewiza wrote:I think it's funny how people on forums like this are always trying to explore new material for their confirmation bias. They find something they don't like for whatever reason, and make a poo-poo posts about it to see if they can get people to either agree with them, or flame the ones who don't. Hilarious. :lol:
Yeah, I'm also sick of them
- whether pick like gnome going to get offend from gnome haters.
- whether pick hate game going to get offend from those like gnome instead.
Any side to pick none of them better only going to get offend from the opposite sides.
It's no different from systemd haters ppl vs non-particular hate systemd ppl debate.
I've enough with these Intel vs AMD-like debates these kind of debate would never end.
I'd rather stay silent & eat popcorn and watch the show.

debiman

#53 Post by debiman »

yeah, opinions are for losers.
see you in nirvana!
Om!
:wink:

dust hill resident

#54 Post by dust hill resident »

pcalvert wrote:I don't know what "client side decorations" are
On linux, normally, the window manager draws the window decorations (title bar and maximise/minimise/close/etc buttons) for graphical programs. With 'client side decorations', GUI programs draw their own window controls. This is what the latest versions of the Gnome programs do.

So if you use a custom window manager and you use some Gnome programs, they won't fit in as well as other programs would, because they draw their own window controls which behave differently. For example, if you want to change what happens when you double click a window titlebar, before you could easily do that by configuring your window manager. But if you want to do that and you use any Gnome programs like gedit, it will be more difficult.

Head_on_a_Stick

#55 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dust hill resident wrote:So if you use a custom window manager and you use some Gnome programs, they won't fit in as well as other programs would, because they draw their own window controls which behave differently. For example, if you want to change what happens when you double click a window titlebar, before you could easily do that by configuring your window manager. But if you want to do that and you use any Gnome programs like gedit, it will be more difficult.
For stretch and onwards, Client Side Decorations can be disabled globally to allow users of simple window managers to employ GTK3 applications without a theme clash:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd

Problem solved :)
deadbang

dust hill resident

#56 Post by dust hill resident »

@Head_on_a_stick
I was aware of that, it's good and I use it.

But as I understand it, it's a bit of a trick/hack. It's unacceptable to me that a hack is required to disable the CSD, it should be an option in the gtk settings.ini or something like that. And since it's a hack, I worry that there's a chance it will stop working in the future (though maybe this is impossible, I don't really know how gtk-nocsd works)

Head_on_a_Stick

#57 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dust hill resident wrote:@Head_on_a_stick
I was aware of that, it's good and I use it.
Ah, right, sorry for breaking your FUD :mrgreen:

Anyway, I like client side decorations :P
deadbang

dust hill resident

#58 Post by dust hill resident »

Why?

Ardouos

#59 Post by Ardouos »

dust hill resident wrote:Why?
Because not everyone is you. :)
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

dust hill resident

#60 Post by dust hill resident »

Ardouos wrote:
Because not everyone is you. :)
I was asking Head_on_a_stick because I was actually genuinely curious about what he likes about csd, I'm not trying to argue with him.

Edit: Sorry for misunderstanding/aggressive response
Last edited by dust hill resident on 2017-03-27 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

#61 Post by Ardouos »

dust hill resident wrote: Why so condescending?
I am sorry if it came off as condescending, I put the smiley there to make it sound as nicely as possible. (Banter?)

In my defense, I did read it differently to how you wanted to pass the message. :wink:

Edit: Grammar + Spelling.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2017-03-28 07:04, edited 3 times in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

debiman

#62 Post by debiman »

why not?

Head_on_a_Stick

#63 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I find them more aesthetically pleasing than the traditionally bare titlebar, the efficient use of space appeals to me greatly.

Also, GTK3 applications play very nicely with dwm — they are not tiled by default and the titlebar can actually be used to drag the window around without chording a modifier key :)
deadbang

Danielsan

#64 Post by Danielsan »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dust hill resident wrote:https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd

Problem solved :)

That's cool I have been pretty frustrated about some Gnome application behaviour, so now I can get rid of them!!!

Thanks!

dust hill resident

#65 Post by dust hill resident »

Ardouos wrote:
I am sorry if it came off as condescending, I put the smiley there to make it sound as nicely as possible. (Banter?)
In my defense, I did read it differently to how you wanted to pass them message. :wink:
Ah right, sorry. I have a tendency to misread tone on forums.
And looking back at it now, I can see how my other post could have given you that impression.
debiman wrote:why not?
Fair enough

Anyway, gtk3-nocsd is great.