Why I do not use Gnome anymore

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby Ardouos » 2017-03-27 13:45

dust hill resident wrote:Why?

Because not everyone is you. :)
Ardouos

Postby dust hill resident » 2017-03-27 14:03

Ardouos wrote:

Because not everyone is you. :)

I was asking Head_on_a_stick because I was actually genuinely curious about what he likes about csd, I'm not trying to argue with him.

Edit: Sorry for misunderstanding/aggressive response
Last edited by dust hill resident on 2017-03-27 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
dust hill resident

Postby Ardouos » 2017-03-27 15:23

dust hill resident wrote:Why so condescending?

I am sorry if it came off as condescending, I put the smiley there to make it sound as nicely as possible. (Banter?)

In my defense, I did read it differently to how you wanted to pass the message. :wink:

Edit: Grammar + Spelling.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2017-03-28 07:04, edited 3 times in total.
Ardouos

Postby debiman » 2017-03-27 17:26

why not?
debiman

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-03-27 19:53

I find them more aesthetically pleasing than the traditionally bare titlebar, the efficient use of space appeals to me greatly.

Also, GTK3 applications play very nicely with dwm — they are not tiled by default and the titlebar can actually be used to drag the window around without chording a modifier key :)
“Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming."Brian Kernighan

Please read before posting How to report a problem
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Danielsan » 2017-03-27 20:11

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dust hill resident wrote:https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd

Problem solved :)

That's cool I have been pretty frustrated about some Gnome application behaviour, so now I can get rid of them!!!

Thanks!
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
Danielsan

Postby dust hill resident » 2017-03-27 21:08

Ardouos wrote:
I am sorry if it came off as condescending, I put the smiley there to make it sound as nicely as possible. (Banter?)
In my defense, I did read it differently to how you wanted to pass them message. :wink:

Ah right, sorry. I have a tendency to misread tone on forums.
And looking back at it now, I can see how my other post could have given you that impression.

debiman wrote:why not?

Fair enough

Anyway, gtk3-nocsd is great.
dust hill resident

Postby MARKMENTAL » 2017-03-27 22:28

kedaha wrote:I couldn't agree more.
I always used Gnome2 from when "etch" came out. When Gnome3 first reared its head, I used it in classic mode but soon changed to the mate-desktop, which is the nearest thing to Gnome2, on my home, work and laptop computers.
The other day I installed "jessie" on a laptop as an alternative for Windows Vista for an elderly acquaintance and chose Gnome so that the user would be able to update easily by means of the update-notifier. I was immediately horrified by desktop environment and chose the classic mode where, annoyingly, there appeared to be no quick way to place icons on the desktop. I haven't seen Gnome in "stretch" yet but have an inkling I won't like it either.

agreed, I use MATE on my main debian stable pc, it's a good fork of gnome 2, reminds me of that old familiar desktop, though I don't have much problem with gnome 3. KDE however is a nightmare for me, I hate it! :roll:
MARKMENTAL

Postby bester69 » 2017-03-30 15:09

MARKMENTAL wrote:
kedaha wrote:I couldn't agree more.
I always used Gnome2 from when "etch" came out. When Gnome3 first reared its head, I used it in classic mode but soon changed to the mate-desktop, which is the nearest thing to Gnome2, on my home, work and laptop computers.
The other day I installed "jessie" on a laptop as an alternative for Windows Vista for an elderly acquaintance and chose Gnome so that the user would be able to update easily by means of the update-notifier. I was immediately horrified by desktop environment and chose the classic mode where, annoyingly, there appeared to be no quick way to place icons on the desktop. I haven't seen Gnome in "stretch" yet but have an inkling I won't like it either.

agreed, I use MATE on my main debian stable pc, it's a good fork of gnome 2, reminds me of that old familiar desktop, though I don't have much problem with gnome 3. KDE however is a nightmare for me, I hate it! :roll:

sadlly most of DE are a fully shit in my opinion, and the worse they're not nearly getting better with time.

Now best or decent linux DE are KDE and Unity, followed by XFCE; MATE is getting worse for moments..., the rest of them are more or less the same poor thing.

KDE might be difficult to get used to it, once you get it, its one of the best, if not the bestone
bester69

Postby annadane » 2017-04-03 20:15

I mean, I'll always be an XFCE person. (Probably. Until i3 consumes my soul) It feels so natural and right. When I was Linuxing and Debianinning (shut up) for the first time, I couldn't quite get the installer to work properly (due to faulty copying of the iso) and I got GNOME as a default. I found it very frustrating as a first time user. It doesn't really scream "easy to use". Nor does KDE, which while I'm sure has multiple wonderful qualities for power users, it's pretty disorienting.
annadane

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-17 17:01

bester69 wrote:...MATE is getting worse for moments...

When did that happen? (I just installed it after using KDE for many years).
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

"To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update."
/tmp

Postby debiman » 2017-04-18 04:27

/tmp wrote:
bester69 wrote:...MATE is getting worse for moments...

When did that happen? (I just installed it after using KDE for many years).

maybe they meant that MATE has started to use gtk3 now.
which tbh came as a surprise to me, but i've seen this mentioned quite a few times (and as a good thing, strangely) now.
debiman

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-04-18 10:51

debiman wrote:maybe they meant that MATE has started to use gtk3 now.
which tbh came as a surprise to me, but i've seen this mentioned quite a few times (and as a good thing, strangely) now.

I would hazard a guess that the MATE team are using https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd to unify the look of the disparate toolkits.
“Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming."Brian Kernighan

Please read before posting How to report a problem
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby sjukfan » 2017-04-18 14:56

I prefer programs that show a label beside the icon so it's easier to find the functions. Gnome-mpv have (or at least used to have) a turn off client side decorations that let the user have labels back, but way too few of the Gnome programs have that. I like Gthumb but had to pin it to 3.2.9.1 before they went icons only.

Also I don't think the icon only was is that good for someone who's not that good with computers. I'm installing Linux to a computer for my mom and will probably go with Xfce because she really needs to be able to read the labels without hovering the mouse over them.
Debian Stretch AMD64, Core 2 Quad Q9550
Debian Jessie ARM, NSLU2 Intel IXP420
Debian Sid Powerpc, PowerPC 7447a
sjukfan

Postby debiman » 2017-04-18 17:42

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I would hazard a guess that the MATE team are using https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd to unify the look of the disparate toolkits.

on topic rant:
yeah, i guess for some that's enough to sell the "lighweight DE" metaphor.
i never quite understand how something like mate, let alone cinnamon, can be defined as lightweight?
cinnamon: hey, it uses only 80% compared to gnome!
mate: hey, it uses only 70% compared to gnome!
...and here i sit at my openbox desktop that has been using only 10% compared to gnome, and that for years already... snicker... these idiots...

off topic rant:
i was listening to jupiter broadcasting today, for almost an hour... argh... :roll: 2 guys talking about web development languages like some other idiots talk about desktop environments... thinking they're so hip... at least now i know that clojure is the way to go, because it's just so easy to work with, and the community is small but dedicated... :deepsarcasm:
debiman

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic