Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The end of the unity... A canonical tragedy.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Danielsan

The end of the unity... A canonical tragedy.

#1 Post by Danielsan »

Probably most of you already knew that Canonical, through a post of our friend Mark, announced the end of the Unity Desktop, next version of Ubuntu will be released with Gnome3 as default DE. Ubuntu users are shocked but for the others nothing new under the sun, in the recent years Ubuntu has dismissed a lot of projects and probably the next one is going to be snap against flatpak.

So now almost all the main distros are released with Gnome3, all of them use systemd as init system, the two major package systems are DEB and RPM and both will probably replaced by flatpak, only one has already adopt Wayland but soon all the distros will use it and are we still discussing the Linux desktop is fragmented? :lol:

The article...

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/ ... nvergence/

stevepusser

Re: The end of the unity... A canonical tragedy.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I can't see flatpak packages that include a full runtime environment, (Qt 5, for example) which takes up many megabytes, replacing something like a little 40 KB Qt5 application deb that is going to use system libraries. Flatpak has its place, just not as replacing the apt system.
MX Linux packager and developer

Danielsan

#3 Post by Danielsan »

Yes of course, mine was only a provocation, however the main topic is the end of Unity which is probably the reason I left Ubuntu for Debian... 8)

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

Unity seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't use it for long before turning up my nose. For whatever reason they just couldn't pull it together.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Nili

#5 Post by Nili »

Very good that he purged Unity, late but better late than never.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

marcetm

#6 Post by marcetm »

Nili wrote:Very good that he purged Unity, late but better late than never.
I totally agree and besides it looks like a good new for Gnome and its development.

Danielsan

#7 Post by Danielsan »

Some comments more, since the moment Ubuntu dropped Unity for Gnome3, Ubuntu will be again the fancy and unsafe version of Debian, without Unity and Upstart the difference is about a bunch of packages and a worst repos' organization.

Maybe as Ubuntu will be anymore the most known distro has used to be, because I am sure Canonical will invest almost zero cents on it and it will dump almost all the dirty work upon the community, this could help the raising up of StreamOS as referencing OS for many kids... I am not a supporter of Steam but they are doing a great efforts to improve the quality of the foss GPU driver so as Steam is based on Debian this would a great benefit for Debian as well.

What do you think?

Job

#8 Post by Job »

I never used Unity but it looks like crap.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

Job wrote:I never used Unity but it looks like crap.
Now, i suppose canonical will port some unity features to gnome3, i dont imagine all unity work into trash. So we must be glad Gnome3 will look like unity soon.. i hope so.. :o, cos gnome3 right now looks like a crap..

anyways, the linux from future will look like windows XP, make it happend, please :twisted:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Danielsan

#10 Post by Danielsan »

I had another idea, Canonical will create a set of extensions for GnomeShell that will be usable only on Ubuntu to replicate a bit the behavior of Unity.

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yay! Convergence is a Good Thing™

Also, lol at Comical & Shuttlecock :lol:
deadbang

pylkko

#12 Post by pylkko »

https://unity8.org/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-t ... 4620.shtml

Maybe it will turn into something new? Or maybe the code base wont be manageable by a community like that.

Danielsan

#13 Post by Danielsan »

I don't believe a fork will ever have any success, Canonical transformed Ubuntu in a brand so people want Ubuntu not a fork that doesn't mean nothing for them.