How long the gap between testing to testing transition?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

How long the gap between testing to testing transition?

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-14 16:44

I was thinthing about that scenario in which, debian testing becomes Stretch (last stable),and testing line in sources.list jumps to new testing version.

So we're suppose eventually to change the testing reference line in source.list to the codename or the stable tag, before we come into the new testing version with a transiction upgrade.
Is there any transtion upgrade or we need to commit dist-upgrade command to jump to the new version?? :?:

I've already changed the tag testing to the codename Stretch just in case, to prevent that situation. but im not sure, cos i dont understant very well that transiction scenario.
bester69

Re: How long the gap between testing to testing transition?

Postby Job » 2017-04-14 17:22

You should change your sources.list when the announcement has been made saying testing is now stable, in this case something like Strech is now stable. update and dist- upgrade will do the trick. I also like doing autoremove when dist-upgrade is done.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stretch - Devuan - Jessie (Media Center, yes, believe it)
Job

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-14 17:27

Job wrote:You should change your sources.list when the announcement has been made saying testing is now stable, in this case something like Strech is now stable. update and dist- upgrade will do the trick. I also like doing autoremove when dist-upgrade is done.

So then, if you forget it, you would go into new testing and you would mess the installation if you really wanted to pass to stable??, cos you 'd have to rollback to stable from testing. :shock: I think, threre should be available a command order to commit that transition..
bester69

Postby Job » 2017-04-14 19:13

There is not much difference between a new testing and a new stable but you should pay attention to keep up.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job

Postby dasein » 2017-04-14 22:09

Job wrote:There is not much difference between a new testing and a new stable...

If you don't think of RC bugs as "much difference."
dasein

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-14 23:41

Job wrote:There is not much difference between a new testing and a new stable but you should pay attention to keep up.

How can you say this, if they are two differents versions. This is like is you tell me than Debian Jessie and Debian Stretch are almost the same at the beginning of their line point released. I think you're wrong.. they are differents versions, there must be gap of time before the old testing becomes the new testing, and then a big upgrade with the all new file system, so you need to make the switch to stable if you dont want to miss it, and jump to testing. I think it must be something like that..
bester69

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-15 00:25

Isn't the most stable running old-stable. Tested/fixed through development ... and then live tested (release) with any additional bugs fixed across that test period. Around a 2 year cycle (Jessie/Debian 8 will move into old-stable in a few months time as Stretch is released as the current Stable ... and around 2 years later adopt Stretch as it moves into old-stable as Buster is released as the current stable). Provided you're content to run older (and hence more extensively tested) versions of programs and the kernel works with your hardware/kit. At least that's my plan/policy (presently running Jessie early, does what I want/need and works with my kit, more than happy to continue using it for the next couple of years).

Semantics. For me 'testing' is widely performed over millions of test hours by millions of testers, with around two years between releases/upgrades :)
ruffwoof

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-04-15 01:39

so you need to make the switch to stable if you dont want to miss it, and jump to testing. I think it must be something like that..

Nothing like that at all, there is all ways a testing version, When the
new release is ready to be released, it is released as the Debian stable version,
which will be Stretch,... Debian testing, continues to be Debian testing and
it IMMEDIATELY starts moving forward toward the next future release.
When Debian Stretch is released, Debian testing will still be there.

If you do not want to use Debian Stretch at all, and want to keep using testing,
then do not change your sources.list files to Debian Stretch, or Debian Stable,
just keep using Debian Testing.

Look closely, at what "Woody" is saying,....
When a new version is released as stable,it
immediately opens space in the testing, which starts a
new cycle of distribution stabilization for a future release.
ALL processes follows a continuous and natural stream.

There is plenty documentation available on this, but who reads any of it ?
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
================================
From:https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/18/understanding-debians-release-process/
[1] The Constantly Usable Testing project aims to make testing a first-class product like stable—but with a very different update policy.

===================================
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... cycle.html
===================================
GarryRicketson

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-15 03:32

....it
immediately opens space in the testing, which starts a
new cycle of distribution stabilization for a future release

As for what i believed to know, a new and fresh "unstable-testing" release it's nothing to be with an old, mature and "stable-testing" release, thats the reason i was making the point. I was thinking of waiting around six months or so before to do the jump to the next testing version ; changing the tag from testing to stretch or stable and then in six months putting it back to testing and upgrade.

So they're not the same testing one, there must be a gap between libraries base versions, which must be what takes you to the next version of debian once the new cycle has started.

So if you keep your url-tag to testing you will lost your testing-stability system once the cross to the new testing cycle begin (my premise of waiting for six months before to passing from stable to testing).
bester69

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-04-15 13:10

I just resolved the issue yesterday by migrating from Sid to KDE Neon Dev Unstable.

Since I still have one Debian machine I get to stick around, but if you want new toys and a stable backend I'd recommend using Neon User edition or Neon Dev Testing.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby pylkko » 2017-04-15 13:28

So, then, why do you not put the stretch address there now? I have hand stretch (and not testing) in my testing set up's sources.list for a year now...
pylkko

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-15 21:05

pylkko wrote:So, then, why do you not put the stretch address there now? I have hand stretch (and not testing) in my testing set up's sources.list for a year now...

I recentlly did it, I just wanted to know if i was right about my thoughts, and it seems so.., I probably stay in stretch stable with my laptop until my next computer, mine its a 2008's laptop, that i give it one or two years more.
bester69

Postby Job » 2017-04-16 17:03

This is silly I don't have a handle on the inner working of Debian circle but a testing made stable a day ago can't be much different from a testing established a day ago.
#aptitude install life
Job

Postby phenest » 2017-04-16 18:30

I think what bester69 is trying to say is that if your sources.list is pointing to "testing", when "testing" becomes "stable", your sources.list will point to the new "testing" branch instead of stopping when "testing" becomes "stable".

Every new testing branch is given a codename: Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, etc. If you want to stay with Stretch, for example, when it becomes Stable, then use the codename in your sources.list instead of "testing". When testing starts, you can either use "testing" or "stretch". They point to the same packages, but when Stretch becomes Stable, you'll stay with Stable.

Follow? :lol:
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Postby bester69 » 2017-04-16 19:17

phenest wrote:I think what bester69 is trying to say is that if your sources.list is pointing to "testing", when "testing" becomes "stable", your sources.list will point to the new "testing" branch instead of stopping when "testing" becomes "stable".

Every new testing branch is given a codename: Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, etc. If you want to stay with Stretch, for example, when it becomes Stable, then use the codename in your sources.list instead of "testing". When testing starts, you can either use "testing" or "stretch". They point to the same packages, but when Stretch becomes Stable, you'll stay with Stable.

Follow? :lol:

Im very bad trying to explain myself in foreign language :lol: , phenest explained better than myself.

if you keep the tag to testing, then the system will jump from Stretch to Buster in one moment, i dont understand how this transiction is done, if it happens in one day, one week, or a month, but if you miss that time, you will find yourself with and unstable version of testing (Buster) instead the very stable of testing version (Stretch).
bester69

Next

Return to Offtopic