Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No grub after installing kali alongside windows

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mijaysen

No grub after installing kali alongside windows

#1 Post by mijaysen »

Hey all

I'm new here, and i can't get kali to work. After installation, it just loads Windows 10. I have tried for many hours not getting it to work, here is my latest steps:

Changed BIOS->Boot to "Legacy"
Booted Windows 10 installation, deleted all partions, and choosed to install windows on the unallocated space.
After windows 10 first start, i shrinked C: volume by 50GB, so i now have the partions for windows and 50GB unallocated space
I then booted into Kali, choosed "Graphical install"
At one of the first points, i get "Can't mount and detect CD-ROM drives"
I fixed this by going to the shell typing: "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom" and continued the installation
I choosed "Guided - use the largest unallocated space" and i let kali set up the partions
When asked for where to install grub i choosed dev/sda (Windows)
And after reboot it just boots windows or if i open boot menu, my only options is USB HDD or HARD DRIVE, and choosing harddrive also just boots windows

A'm i doing something wrong? Why can't i boot into Kali after a clean install?

Sorry for my bad English. Any help would be much appreciated

dasein

Re: No grub after installing kali alongside windows

#2 Post by dasein »

These are the Debian forums. not the Kali forums
(And no, Kali is not just another word for Debian)

The Kali forums are here: http://forums.kali.org/

mijaysen

#3 Post by mijaysen »

Hmm, my bad, i just thought that when it is based on Debian, this forum support it

mijaysen

#4 Post by mijaysen »

Ooooh, I see. Thank you for clearing that up. I'll take my issue to Kali forums. I'm sorry for my "bad" thread

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

No problem,
But yes it would be better to ask at the kali forums, or read the documenation
on kali,..a search will find the documentation.
I don't know much about kali, but from what I have read , it is not intended
to be used the way you are trying to use it.
You would be better off installing Debian, or some other distro that is designed and intended to be used as a Dual boot system, for a laptop or desktop computer.
And just use kali on a usb device ,as it is intended to be used.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

Garry, I think your point needed to be added to.

Kali is a total *menace* .

It is really useful only for sysadmins submitting their systems to penetration testing.

Legions of youthful wannabe 3I33t haxxors are destined to get themselves in a world of trouble should they aim the tools on it toward the WAN. At the very least they would have their accounts suspended by their Internet Providers. Its trivial to detect port scanners, and it *is* considered a hostile act, and a violation of Terms of Service.

ISPs may be tolerant of a few instances, but if i was a sysadmin I would certainly take action against anyone who used those tools on a regular basis.

And if they should drift into government or 'sensitive' domains, they can be brought up on all kinds of charges, in a system that effectively regards them as burglar tools. And their use as attempted or conspiracy of breaking and entry.

The media is full of warnings about the hazards of using torrents to download the latest movies.

But nothing about using hacking tools in public.

edbarx

#7 Post by edbarx »

Legions of youthful wannabe 3I33t haxxors are destined to get themselves in a world of trouble should they aim the tools on it toward the WAN
This is a very good point. Youths, above all, should be made aware they can literally ruin their lives trying to break into networks they are not entitled to access. Legally this is like breaking into private property.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thanks ,
If the OP read even a little bit of the Kali documentation they would have seen this:
http://docs.kali.org/introduction/shoul ... kali-linux
----snip---and given its unique nature, it is NOT a recommended distribution if you’re unfamiliar with Linux or are looking for a general-purpose Linux desktop distribution for development, web design, gaming, etc.
And :
In addition, misuse of security and penetration testing tools within a network, particularly without specific authorization, may cause irreparable damage and result in significant consequences, personal and/or legal. “Not understanding what you were doing” is not going to work as an excuse.

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

mijaysen wrote:A'm i doing something wrong?
Yes, you are trying to use Kali without the knowledge that is necessary. Every one of the specialized tools on the Kali distro is available in the Debian repositories. The difference is that Kali has bunched them together to build a very special collection for sys admins who burn it to a live-CD which is carried in a tool kit.

You really need to choose a version of Linux that is friendly and functional. I suggest that you burn a variety of live-CD's or USB's and try them. Install the one you like best.

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

Legally this is like breaking into private property.
In the US at least, in terms of the penalties involved, it's potentially nothing like B&E. Potential prison terms range from one year to as many as ten years.

The pertinent law (known as the CFAA) is ambiguously worded and has already been subject to prosecutorial abuse.