Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

very happy with BTRFS

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

very happy with BTRFS

#1 Post by bester69 »

After nine months of testing, i can say, im very satisfied with btrfs filesystem.
At first i need some time to understand it, and be able to manage snapshots, but now that i move as a fish in water, i can say btrfs is best thing i found out in time in linux world. Its easy to use and to understand, the speed performance its pretty similar to ext4, i wouldnt say its slower..

Thanks to it,
- I can take snapshots backups as a stable point rollback, so if an upgrade gave me some trouble, i can go back to the stable point snapshot.
- With Apps like snapper-gui i can manage timeline snapshots of subvolumes: "/home" and "/".
- I can test any linux-distros installations in the same partition, making use of subvolumes. You wont need Virtualbox again to test new distros.
(Now i've just installed mint LMDE-2 in a new subvolume for testing, other day i tested Ubuntu 17.04)

Btrfs its the perfect backintime machine, it never fails, so that you can install anything and test anything you want as you can easilly rollback to a previouslly snapshot.

If you try it, you wont never come back to ext4.. 8)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

MALsPa

Re: very happy with BTRFS

#2 Post by MALsPa »

Good info, thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes indeed, btrfs rules :)

Just remember to backup properly, preferably to a non-btrfs filesystem — there are rumours of a persistent data-eating bug in the code...

Anyway, HAMMER is *much* better than btrfs (or zfs) :mrgreen:

https://www.dragonflybsd.org/hammer/
deadbang

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

I have also been using btrfs without problems for long now and it is indeed nice. I keep a system disk backup on btrfs only because it is so convenient (i.e don't have to copy the entire disk, and backup snapshots). If the backups would be corrupted through out, I'd just reinstall. Data backups of important data that I don't want to loose I keep backed up on ext4 partitions on at least two separate devices.

In performance comparisons that I have seen btrfs has often either been on par with other fs or lost to them (I think I have seen one where it was better than ext4 and friends). However, most of these are not run so that one could extrapolate any relevant information about normal home computer usage and in practice you will not see any performance differences.

I remember reading once that btrfs-like COW features were being added ro XFS, but I don't know how far this has advanced yet.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

:)
Im expecting to encryptation feature be added to btrfs as soon as possible

I remember you, a degree company as SUSE is using btrfs as default filesystem.
By default, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is set up using Btrfs and snapshots for the root partition.
Snapshots allow you to easily roll back your system if needed after applying updates, or to back up files.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...