Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

delete this thread

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
dasein

Re: delete this thread

#16 Post by dasein »

Speaking of ignore lists, obligatory time-saver: http://forums.debian.net/ucp.php?i=zebr ... &add=Grell

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

Grell wrote:remove this thread because i don't need a flame war
another person seems to confuse "criticism in reaction to a question asked" with "flaming" or "trolling".
makes me wonder why they ask in the first place. :roll:

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:another person seems to confuse "criticism in reaction to a question asked"...
Ironically enough, my response was intended to help the OP avert the problems that would inevitably arise from him trying to build a business based on skills he doesn't actually possess.

The available data make it clear that the OP lacks some pretty basic technical chops; it's folly for him, or anyone at his level, to start a tech support business. He seems to confuse the technical savvy possessed by folks like Wiz10K with his own. Not only is he gonna get sued often, he's going to ruin his personal reputation.

Not to mention the fact that his lack of skills means that he will cause damage to others' data, hardware, etc. The only question is how often and how bad the damage will be. He will misdiagnose, mistreat, misapply, etc. He will incorrectly declare any problem he can't solve as fundamentally unsolvable, or else he will come here in an attempt to leech off the expertise of others.

tl;dr: The Dunning–Kruger effect strikes again.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

nah, the thread was already going down that road before you applied gunpowder to it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

I imagine the market for Linux home user support would be minuscule.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#21 Post by debiman »

i dunno.
the zero cost is appealing to many, but many also fear that it "doesn't work as well as windows" and is even potentially or actually illegal (i'm not making this up).

there might be a market for linux installation & maintenance services, if you manage to pull of "trustworthy" convincingly (which, afaics, op did not).
only then there isn't zero cost anymore...

phenest

Small Linux school

#22 Post by phenest »

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to teach Linux/GNU, rather than support it.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by sunrat »

debiman wrote:...
only then there isn't zero cost anymore...
Catch 22. I'm still waiting for my first paycheck from FDN. Must be lost in the mail. :D
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Grell

#24 Post by Grell »

How are you going to tell me I don't know crap when I wrote this program in 2012? https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/1 ... anner.html

Where's the program you wrote? My new idea is to just hold a free Linux tutoring session at the local library for people brand new to Linux.

Just because I am humble and don't act like I know everything doesn't mean I don't know crap. I've been using Linux since 2001 with Red Hat 7.0.

Not to mention I wrote these programs when I was still in high school under my old handle "Phender":

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/3 ... can.c.html

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/3 ... DoS.c.html

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/3 ... oit.c.html

What did you write Oh Great Linux Wizard?

Grell

#25 Post by Grell »

That was not directed at you. That was directed at dasein. I used the word wizard but I did not mean you. You were nice to me and I appreciated your post.

dasein

#26 Post by dasein »

General observations, in no particular order...

1) It's too bad that "ignore list" settings don't affect quoted content

2) Anyone who's surprised that "go kill yourself" is a 1-way ticket to Ignorzville should get a complete neuropsychological workup ASAP.

GarryRicketson

#27 Post by GarryRicketson »

Did you report the PM to admins,...?
In my opinion that is serious enough to warrant banning, I don't care how many
programs the guy has written or claimed to have written, there is no excuse for
that kind of message.

==== edit====
The OP is so worried about maybe getting sued, then the turn around and send PM's to people they do not even know, not knowing if the person maybe has some disorder like manic depression, or anything.
So then the receiver of the PM shoots their self, after reading the PM, it pushes them
"over the edge",.... I think the surviving family would have grounds for a law suit, ...
Of course it might be hard to find and prove who the real person is,... this is the way
these guys are, very brave , as long as they can hide behind a user name, and nobody knows who they really are,... But in any event, the PM shows what kind of person this
Grell really is.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-05-14 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

dasein

#28 Post by dasein »

GarryRicketson wrote:Did you report the PM to admins,...?
Nah. In my experience, the cruelest thing one can do with folks at this level is to let them keep talking. The more they speak, the more obvious their innumerable limitations become.

Lysander

#29 Post by Lysander »

For some reason I thought Debian users were mature/intelligent enough not to address each other in such ways. This is what comes from not getting what you want, I suppose.

phenest

#30 Post by phenest »

Lysander wrote:This is what comes from not getting what you want, I suppose.
I think some people should learn to think before speaking. And if they forget to do it in that order, then to take what comes their way, and back down instead of attacking. We're only trying to help. :roll:
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

GarryRicketson

#31 Post by GarryRicketson »

+100
And I know, I am guilty of this sometimes my self, often it is not intentional, but still
thinking about what we say, before we say it goes a long way. Reading it before hitting
the submit button as well.
Especially on a public forum , where we really don't know anything about the person
we say something to,..we have no way of knowing how it may affect the person.

Grell

#32 Post by Grell »

Ok, then ban me. I originally started this post because I wanted advice and I got attacked. Look at who started this argument, it was not myself. He accused me of not knowing anything about Linux and pretty much insulting me. I responded in that PM which perhaps was a bit mean, but when I feel attacked I will react.

Ban me then, I don't need to worry about every time I create a thread if someone is going to be rude to me.

Ban me.